Hancock

So I saw this today. The first half was very good, then IMHO the story got kind of dumb for the last half. I don't want to give anything away so I'll just leave it at that for now.

I'd have to give it about a C+. The concept had a lot of potential that didn't really pan out. The CGIs seem to replace good storytelling these days.

I went and saw it today as well, some thoughts:

1. This should never have been "censored down" to a PG-13 rating, would have been much more effective as an "R".

2. It's basically 2 under-developed story ideas grafted together into a single film. Both stories could have been interesting by themselves if they had paid enough attention to the details. But by trying to compress them into a single 90 minute film it gives neither half enough time to come alive.

3. I have a strong suspicion this film endured a great deal of post-production tinkering by the studio.

4. It's more of a frustrating film than a bad film, there was alot of potential here that was unfortunately not carried to fruition.

5. The performances are far better than the film deserves.

**1/2

Yeah, me too.

As suggested by Dan: SPOILER ALERT!

I liked the movie more than FFA and Shawn. I was not at all confused in any way. I thought the movie could have been improved with some scenes of Will and Charlize in the thousands of years of the past. . . little vignette moments of them as gods and hero/heroines in the past. That would have underlined the storyline nicely.

Overall I thought it was very entertaining. But then again it was the first movie outing with a new girlfriend and very fun on that level. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

This is the first I've heard that Will is into Scientology.

Well, he hangs with Tom. But more damningly, he's opened a school inspired by the educational musings of L. Ron Hubbard that has (at least) a few Scientologists on staff. They say it isn't a Scientology school, but really...

No real interest in seeing this film, but I read the plot synopsis on a spoiler site. It sounds absolutely stupid with all kinds of logical inconsistencies, even more than your average sci fi movie.

I thought the movie could have been improved with some scenes of Will and Charlize in the thousands of years of the past. . . little vignette moments of them as gods and hero/heroines in the past. That would have underlined the storyline nicely.

Don't you think you might have put some sort of "spoiler alert" before writing that? I mean, I couldn't care less about these films, I'm quite happy having never spent a single minute with a single movie "superhero" since the entire misbegotten genre began. But from the reviews I bothered to read, it seems as though the connection between Hancock and Theron's character was the entire point of the second half of the movie, and you just gave it away.

This is the first I've heard that Will is into Scientology.

Well, he hangs with Tom. But more damningly, he's opened a school inspired by the educational musings of L. Ron Hubbard that has (at least) a few Scientologists on staff. They say it isn't a Scientology school, but really...

No real interest in seeing this film, but I read the plot synopsis on a spoiler site. It sounds absolutely stupid with all kinds of logical inconsistencies, even more than your average sci fi movie.

from what i've heard of the plot, it sounds like something out of L. Ron Hubbard's books!!

I'm going to see Wall-E instead tomorrow.

I think I'll go see it again. Maybe take one of my kids this time.

AMAZING movie. But then, I've never seen a Pixar film I didn't think was extraordinary (well, "Cars" was probably the weakest of the bunch). I love the film's vision of mankind's future (without walking)!