Stephen Holden on vocalese in today's NYT

First sentence of Holden's review of L, H & R Redux:

"At 86 the visionary musical sage John Hendricks, who along with Ella Fitzgerald and Eddie Jefferson originated the jazz style called vocalese -- the setting of swing and jazz instrumentals with playful scat lyrics -- is as voluble as ever."

Vocalese and scat singing are two different things, no? In the former, words (newly invented) are set to recorded jazz instrumental improvisations (e.g. "Twisted," "Moody's Mood for Love," the L-H-R stuff). In the latter, onomatepoetic or nonsense syllables, not words, are used, and the singer, depending on his or her skill, improvises on the framework of the given song as much as an instrumentalist would.

I would think, then, that no vocalese performance would have "scat lyrics" -- scat lyrics being an oxymoron anyway. Further, Ella of course did lots and lots of scat singing, but I don't recall a single vocalese recording from her; thus she could not have "originated the jazz style called vocalese," right? Or am I forgetting something? And even if I am, vocalese and scat singing are still two different things.

You are correct of course, Larry.

There is no mention of the man who taught Hendricks; King Pleasure.

B000000Z7G.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Untitled%200.jpg

symsid2.jpg

Yes, but even though I like King Pleasure's famous 1949 hit recording of "Moody's Mood for Love" (which preceeds the one on the album above by about a decade), the hip, clever lyrics King Pleasure sings on MMFL are by Eddie Jefferson, who seems to have originated the whole vocalese concept back in 1940 by setting words to Coleman Hawkins' solo on "Body and Soul."

You're correct, Larry, except for the part about "onomatopoetic or nonsense syllables". Onomatepoetic, yes, ideally always. But nonsense? Only in the hands of a hack.

A good scat singer will "say" the same thing that an instrumentalist would in every way. The sounds/syllables of a good scat singer's work will "mean" the same thing as an instrumentalist's lines for precisely the same reason - the manipulation of sound into a language results in a "message", a specific communication between player and listener based on a language that is commonly understood, in the greater general if not always in the immediate specific.

For that reason, that's why there are so few truly successful (imo) vocalese lyrics - finding "regular" words that communicate as precisely as those of the instrumentalist's lines is a task met by either outright failure, "cleverness" (usually, in which case the result is no meaning at all except "cuteness", and depending on the solo, either a cheapening of the original or a rightful positioning of it as the "pop" (or perhaps less potentially offensive, "entertainment") artifact that it ultimately is, and no dis at all intended there), or, at its best (rarely), high-level craftsmanship in the service of artistry and/or genius.

For my money, Hendricks, with whose work I am largely but in no way completely familiar with, reaches the latter level when he deals with solos that might be initially thought of as belonging to the second level. In particular, two examples (perhaps lesser known due to their being sung by Yolanda Bevan instead of Annie Ross) consistently spring to mind - his lyrics to Thad Jones's solo on "Shiny Stockings" & to Horace Silver's solo on "Doodlin'". For that matter, the entirety of "Doodlin'" is a delight, playing as it does the quintessential Hard Bop Game of presenting an entertaining exterior over a subtly "deeper" interior. HEndricks could be silly, and Hendricks could be "middlebrow", but on occasion, Hendricks could also Get It Exactly Right, and for that he has my enduring respect, if not my consistent love.

Just my opinion.

Sorry, the ""onomatopoetic or nonsense syllables" part I borrowed from Jazz Grove. Just thinking about the things that Sarah Vaughan comes up with on "Shulie-a-Bop" makes my knees feel watery. As for successful vocalese lyrics, I think Jefferson's here are just about perfect:

MOODY'S MOOD FOR LOVE

(He:) There I go, there I go, there I go

There I go..

Pretty baby, you are the soul who snaps my control

Such a funny thing but every time you’re near me

I never can behave

You give me a smile and then I’m wrapped up in your magic

There’s music all around me, crazy music

Music that keeps calling me so very close to you

Turns me your slave

Come and do with me any little thing you want to

Anything baby, just let me get next to you

Am I insane or do I really see heaven in your eyes?

Bright as stars that shine up above you in the clear blue skies

How I worry about you

Just can’t live my life without you

Baby come here, don’t have no fear

Oh, is there a wonder why

I’m really feeling in the mood for love?

So tell me why stop to think

About this weather, my dear?

This little dream might fade away

There I go talking out of my head again, oh baby

Won’t you come and put our two hearts together?

That would make me strong and brave

Oh when we are one, I’m not afraid, I’m not afraid

If there’s a cloud up above us

Go on and let it rain

I’m sure our love together will endure a hurricane

Oh my baby

Won’t you please let me love you

And give a relief from this awful misery?

(She:) What is all this talk about loving me, my sweet?

I am not afraid, not anymore, not like before

Can’t you understand me?

Now baby, please pull yourself together, do it soon

My soul’s on fire, come on and take me

I’ll be what you make me, my darling, my sweet

(He:) Oh baby, you make me feel so good

Let me take you by the hand

Come let us visit out there

In that new promised land

Maybe there we can find

A good place to use a loving state of mind

I’m so tired of being without

And never knowing what love’s about...

James Moody, you can come on in man

And you can blow now if you want to

(Both:) We’re through.

What could be a more perfect fit to the sound and emotional aura of Moody's solo than:

"Am I insane or do I really see heaven in your eyes?

Bright as stars that shine up above you in the clear blue skies"

Jefferson could indeed be sublime (and often was), but as time passed, I think he got uncomfortably creepy in his "things ain't what they used to be" lyrical orientation. Those lyrics of his to "So What" are nearly vomit-inducing imo, a kind of Jones/Jeffersontown Jazz Kool-Aid which one must be halfway suicidal in the first place to drink. They're meant to flatter Miles, but they end up sounding like a lovesick teenager defending the focus of The Rock Scandal Du Jour to their disapproving parents (and all that that implies...)

For me, when Jefferson wrote his lyrics about "regular life", he was good-to-great. When he wrote his lyrics about music, it got pretty weird sometimes, and not in a good way.

Still, I have paid my money, taken my chances, and ain't asked for a refund yet. Not even.

Edited by JSngry

Never made the Sarah/watery knees connection myself.

I imprinted on "Shulie-a-Bop," encountered it at age 13 or so on a 1950s 12-inch EmArcy sampler that was among the first jazz records I owned. Can anyone tell me what was on the rest of that album? Charlie Ventura's "East of Suez" with Jackie and Roy is another track I can recall, and I think there was one from a Harry Carney-led, sax-section date on Keynote. Assuming, in my naivete, that I was listening to a reasonable cross section of the music, that sampler left me kind of pleasantly mixed up. I recall, in particular, how weird "East of Suez" seemed. Eventually I realized that it was supposed to sound weird, as in be-boppishly exotic, but at that point I had no musical or social frame of reference for it.

And a damn fine writer too. No disrespect or diminution intended.

Bob fell prey to smack and died. He did what he did.

I liked him.

I didn't realize he died from complications of a habit. Sad, I know a couple of people who knew him.

jon.hendricks-image014.jpg

The above is a great Jon Hendricks record, for those who are looking for him doing something other than vocalese.

His brother Jimmy (I shit you not, real name) was a friend of mine and they had other family here in the area and he performed and visited often.

Jon Hendricks can be a great singer, when he sheds his 'showbiz" cloak.

There was a short time, in the '70's, when he was a special vocal teacher to a lot of mainstream performers. I mean big room Las Vegas performers and some of the younger set.

I love his "Blues for Pablo".

Edited by marcello