Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator

mgraham333

HUGE thumbs up! This is my favorite Lee Morgan album because not only is the band great, but the compositions played on the album are truly outstanding as well. I play this one all the time - in the car, at work, anywhere.

I put this one off for a long time too, and ended up buying it during my "must have everything Bobby Hutcherson ever recorded" phase. Don't keep putting it off - you're missing out on some great music.

"Procrastinator" is one of my top-5 Lee Morgan discs, without a doubt. Maybe even in my top-3 (I'd have to think about it more, but long story short - it's way up near the top on my "Lee Mogan" best-of list.)

Another reason I like it so much, is that we all know 1967 was a *killer* year (on record) for Wayne Shorter (although we know this mostly from his work with Miles) - both as a player, and especially as a composer (with all the tunes he wrote for "Sorcerer", "Neffertiti", and "Water Babies"). The album "Procrastinator" is the only progressive date (from all of Wayne's recorded output during 1967) with Wayne as a sideman, but without Miles. That fact alone makes it somewhat unique. Also, "Procrastinator" features two tunes written by Wayne, and not recorded elsewhere (at least not that I'm aware of).

Anyway, regardless of all the statistical reasons for getting it, it's simply a damn fine date (IMHO), and well worth picking up - especially since it can be had for regular, domestic prices.

Get it, and let us know what you think!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Thanks to one of the coolest members of this board (you know who you are ;) ), I just recently snagged a copy of the TOCJ that has an extra session from, I think, 1969. It's really good as well but hasn't really sunk in with me yet. Opinions from those that have heard this?

I'm more familiar with the original session from the Connoisseur copy I own and agree it's a fine date with sublime compositions. Elegant ice n fire!!

I think that extra session (found only on the TOCJ, or on the original double-LP) is mighty fine, and I'd give it a solid "B+" if I was giving out letter grades.

The three-horn front line really adds a lot to the session, and I think all the tunes (except one) are pretty strong.

Do I think it's the very best Lee Morgan ever? Not quite - but I'd definitely rank it alone (the extra session, all by itself) as being in top-half of all the Lee Morgan sessions ever recorded (with Lee as the leader).

Don't pay $75 for the TOCJ, but if you see it for anything less than $35 or even $40, it's well worth it (IMHO). It's a bitch to find, so if you do see it anywhere for a reasonable price - by all means get it. And, if you don't like it (meaning the extra session), you're sure to make back what you spent on it (plus $10 or $20 profit, at least) if you take it to eBay.

Just another hearty thumbs-up for this session. Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Hancock, Joe Chambers.... truly a dream lineup!

I've got the TOCJ of this as well, and the 2nd session hasn't really set in with me either. It's just a different sound altogether, albeit a good one.

Everyone, please be sure to specify whether you're talking about the primary "Procrastinator" session (with Wayne Shorter), or the extra session only found on the TOCJ (or original double-LP).

The original poster seems to have been asking for reviews of the main "Procrastinator" session (meaning the one with Wayne), and it'd be good if we could clarify what we're talking about when giving feedback.

=====

Main session (with Wayne Shorter, on the domestic CD) - I'd give it an A- letter grade, or an 9 on a 10 scale.

Extra session (only on TOCJ or 2LP version) - I'd give it a solid B letter grade (although some days maybe a B+), or a 7 on a 10 scale, maybe 7.5 or even 8 some days.

Rooster_Ties,

Wayne never recorded 'Rio' or 'Dear Sir' again. Both have been covered by other artists, however. I know Billy Pierce did 'Dear Sir', and 'Rio' was covered by several artists: Louis Hayes, Kent Jordan...

Joe Chambers also does 'Rio' on his 1976 album for Finite called New World. However, he calls it 'Wayne Shorter's Bossa Nova'. I have a theory behind this (yet to be proved or disproved): Wayne brought the tune to one of his own sessions for Blue Note, a session on which Joe played. The piece was not used at that session, but Joe liked it and remembered it. When he recorded it in 1976, he didn't know the title (The Procrastinator came out a bit later, I believe), and so made up his own. How else would Joe had known the tune since it had never been issued - he must have learned it from Wayne directly.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Very interesting theory, Bertrand!

Would the tune perhaps most likely be a leftover from the 'Schizophrenia' session from three months before, since the rhythm section in the same, and probably had all played the tune? Does the discographies list any untitled rejected tune from Shorter's session?

This is pure speculation, and not as much of a theory: Shorter's session is listed on the CD as produced by Frank Wolff, while the Morgan session three months later was produced by Alfred Lion. If this is correct at all, could Wolff had disapproved of the tune, while Lion was willing to give it a try (allthough the whole session subsequently was put in the can)? Are there really any stories about how Frank Wolff was as a producer?

I don't believe there are any rejected tracks from Schizophrenia, but I'll double check tonight at home.

The copyrights won't help either. Wayne would not copyright tunes from an album until it was actually issued. Hence, all the pieces from Schizophrenia were copyrighted together in 1969 (when the record came out), except for 'Tom Thumb' which first appeared on a kick-ass 1966 Timmons album. 'Rio' was not copyrighted along with these.

In fact, by the time Procrastinator came out, the law had changed - one could submit a recording for copyright in lieu of a lead sheet. Hence, 'Rio' is only copyrighted as part of the entire album, no lead sheet exists for this piece at the Library of Congress. Unfortunately, this is also true for all the tunes from Etcetera and The Soothsayer.

Speaking of Bobby Hutcherson, I'm off to see him tonight in laurel, MD, with a local rhythm section led by Keeter Betts. Toodle-oo!

Bertrand.