Billy Cobham

Durium

BILLY COBHAM

cobham1.jpg

Billy Cobham, born in May 1944 in Panama, but raised in New York City is one of the best percussionist in the world, they say. I don't know if this is true, but a fact is that he is still a sought after percussionist. His first performances were with his father at the piano and after he finished high school and his military services at the army he started as a drummer in the Horace Silver Quintet; nothing less than that.

Billy Cobham

Keep swinging

Durium

His 1974 record "Crosswind' presents some really nice writing, and the band is tough to beat: MBrecker, RBrecker, John Abercrombie, Garnett Brown, John (B) Williams, George Duke (playing with real musicality, at that) and Lee Pastora.

Edited by Sam Sherry

Anyone that recorded with Miles...and Turrentine...and Hubbard (CTI era)...as well as Johnny Hammond Smith, Junior Mance, Leon Thomas, etc...is alright with me!!!

Check out the killer album "With A Lotta Help From My Friends" under Mance's leadership for a master class in groove.

• 1 month later...

September 4, 2008

Music Review

Revving Up the Fusion Vibe for a Vintage '70s Sound

By NATE CHINEN

Billy Cobham began his late set at the Blue Note on Tuesday with a few idle taps on a snare drum, as if testing the sound in the room. Then he tried out a zipperlike buzz roll, some jackhammer double strokes, a rush of rudimentary paradiddles. By the time he punched into the first downbeat, he had succinctly established his authority. Flanked by several diligent sidemen, he projected a let's-get-down-to-business air.

Mr. Cobham has worked in virtually every conceivable style since his career began some 40 years ago. Here he was fixated on recreating the fusion aura of "Spectrum," his 1973 solo debut, made when he was still a member of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. The effort felt a bit like revving up a vintage muscle car, with all the attendant ostentation. And the music was similarly combustible, noisy and precise.

To continue reading, please click here.

Edited by Jim Alfredson

Richard Davis told his jazz history class, when I took it, that he had played with Billy Cobham often, and that while everyone thought of Cobham as a fusion drummer, that "Cobham can play anything. He's a great acoustic jazz drummer too."

For the record, I don't think anyone has specifically mentioned his work with the first edition of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, which must be considered an important part of his career.

For the record, I don't think anyone has specifically mentioned his work with the first edition of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, which must be considered an important part of his career.

A defining moment of his career and influential too. From his playing in that extremely popular band came all those heavy metal and hard rock double bass drummers (with due credit to Ginger Baker) later. Jeff Beck has been playing a tune off Spectrum at recent performances.

• 7 months later...

"Red Baron" is one of the greatest jazz funk songs of all time. I just wish they'd put "Snoopy's Search" on a separate track so I wouldn't have to edit it out.

I like some of that George Duke funk stuff. "Reach For It!."

Billy Cobham was the first jazz concert I ever saw - back in 1975

His band included George Duke on keys, Alphonso Johnson on bass and John Scofield on guitar. Cobham fell off my radar screen - But I've been a big fan of John Scofield ever since. :cool:

"Red Baron" is one of the greatest jazz funk songs of all time. I just wish they'd put "Snoopy's Search" on a separate track so I wouldn't have to edit it out.

I like some of that George Duke funk stuff. "Reach For It!."

Anyone know the real scoop on Billy's ambitious dual-kits project with Louie Bellson in 1978 , "Matterhorn" ?

499098.jpg

Cobham's name doesn't appear in the credits -- in fact in the liner notes he is only referred to as "the other drummer". An entire suite of music written specifically for two drum kits and jazz orchestra and it's Louie and "the other drummer" ... ya gotta chuckle at that.

Additionally, in the few clips I've seen of the video they made of the recording, Billy doesn't look too thrilled to be there. More like "I'm a professional, just doing his job."

btw , I found Matterhorn to be mildly disappointing ... but it's definitely one of a kind ! ( that I know of )

Edited by oneofanotherkind

• 11 months later...

A defining moment of his career and influential too. From his playing in that extremely popular band came all those heavy metal and hard rock double bass drummers (with due credit to Ginger Baker) later. Jeff Beck has been playing a tune off Spectrum at recent performances.

Stratus.