New Universal Music Originals

Bluerein

Hello all,

just noticed some interesting reissues from Universal in the original series. Maynard Ferguson's Emarcy Octet is one of them (never on cd I'm aware of). A WIllie Bobo, John Klemmer and Hugh Masekela as well.

Any thoughts/recommendations on these?

Is there a list of all of these releases somewhere?

Edit: or rather: is the listing found here complete?

http://www.jazzecho.de/originals_103604.jsp

And to make things more confusing, they get mixed up there with the last few batches of Digipack-LPRs (or rather some were jewel case-packed but already named "Originals", such as Lateef's "Psychicemotus" and Ayler's "New Grass", so they went jewel case when renaming the series but then returned to digipack again... all rather confusing...)

Edited by king ubu

Brecker Brothers - Return Of The Brecker Brothers (Verve )

Dizzy Gillespie - Cool World (Verve )

Dr. John - City Lights (Verve )

Hugh Masekela - Home Is Where The Music Is (Verve )

John Klemmer - Barefoot Ballet (Verve )

Maynard Ferguson - Octet (Verve )

Milt Jackson - Live At The Museum Of Modern Art (Verve )

Ramsey Lewis - Goin' Latin (Verve )

Stan Getz - Sweet Rain (Verve )

Willie Bobo - Bobo Motion (Verve )

if i copied them correctly (from allaboutjazz.com) these are the new (29 july) releases

Presumably the Fergusons are from 1954 with Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Bob Gordon. very neat and enjoable west coast jazz. Fresh Sound have issued some Ferguson on Emarcy from this period but I don't know if they included the 1954 dates.

Presumably the Fergusons are from 1954 with Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Bob Gordon. very neat and enjoable west coast jazz. Fresh Sound have issued some Ferguson on Emarcy from this period but I don't know if they included the 1954 dates.

yup, seems so - #11-18 of the following disc:

Band Ain’t Draggin’ – 1950-1954

Maynard Ferguson Orchestra & Octet

Featuring: 'Chico' Alvarez, Al Porcino, Shorty Rogers (tp), Milt Bernhart, Harry Betts, Bob Fitzpatrick, Herbie Harper, Dick Kenney (tb), John Graas (frh), Gene Englund (tuba), Art Pepper, Bud Shank, Abe Most (as), Bob Cooper, Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gioga, Bob Gord

c4042.jpg

REFERENCE: FSRCD 2204

BAR CODE: -

PRICE: 9.90 €

Listen: Sample 1 Sample 2 Sample 3

The music on these sides is the product of different sessions that represent, between them, a veritable Blue Book of West Coast jazz. At the head of each ensemble, enjoying himself to the full, is trumpeter extraordinary Maynard Ferguson. Most of the men heard in this CD were old friends, either colleagues from the Stan Kenton band or Californians with whom he had worked on and off for several years. “Stan Kenton was really the first to realize what I could do technically on a horn”, said Ferguson in 1956. “Because he’s such a natural, such a great leader, he saw my capabilities in perspective and acting accordingly.” We feel that anyone interested in West Coast jazz sounds will find these recordings of exceptional value.

Tracklisting:

1. Band Ain’t Draggin’ (Joe Greene) 2:11

2. Short Wave (S.Rogers) 2:34

3. Love Locked Out (Noble-Kester) 2:56

4. Take The “A” Train (B.Staryhorn) 2:52

5. What’s New (Haggart-Burke) 3:10

6. The Hot Canary (Nero-Gilbert) 2:20

7. Roses All The Way (Carpenter-Weber) 2:37

8. And So I Waited Around (Altman-Kaye) 2:51

9. Homing Pidgeon (Drake-Shirl-Jerome) 2:35

10. Wow! (S.Rogers) 2:05

11. Maiden Voyage (W.Maiden) 2:58

12. Thou Swell (Rodgers-Hart) 2:43

13. The Way You Look Tonight (Kern-Fields) 2:53

14. All God’s Chillun Got Rhythm (Kaper-Jurman) 2:54

15. Willie Nillie (W.Maiden) 3:03

16. Hymn To Her (W.Maiden) 2:33

17. Lonely Town (Comden-Green-Bernstein) 3:07

18. Over The Rainbow (Arlen-Harburg) 3:03

Tracks #1-4: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp,vcl), Alfred 'Chico' Alvarez, Al Porcino, Shorty Rogers (tp), Milt Bernhart, Harry Betts, Bob Fitzpatrick (tb), John Graas (frh), Gene Englund (tuba), Art Pepper, Bud Shank (as), Bob Cooper, Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gioga (bars), Joe Rotundi (p), Don Bagley (b), Shelly Manne (d). Arrangements by Joe Roland (#1), Shorty Rogers (#2,4), Paul Villepigue (#3).

Recorded in Hollywood, September 13, 1950.

#5-6: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp) accompanied by the Stan Kenton Band: Alfred 'Chico' Alvarez, John Howell, Shorty Rogers, Jimmy Salko (tp), Milt Bernhart, Harry Betts, Bob Fitzpatrick, Dick Kenney (tb), Paul Weigand (btb), Art Pepper, Bud Shank (as), bart Caldarell, Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gioga (bars), Ralph Blaze (g), Stan Kenton (p), Don Bagley (b), Shelly Manne (d). Arrangements by Shorty Rogers (#5), Pete Rugolo (#6).

Recorded in Hollywood, May 31, 1951.

#7-10: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp), Alfred 'Chico' Alvarez, Shorty Rogers (tp), Milt Bernhart, Herbie Harper, Dick Kenney (tb), Abie Most, Bud Shank (as), Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gordon (bars), Barney Kessel (g), Frank Patchen (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Shelly Manne (d), Kay Brown (vcl). Arrangements by Pete Rugolo.

Recorded in Hollywood, February 25, 1952.

#11-18: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp,vtb), Milt Bernhart (tb), Bud Shank (fl,as), Bob Cooper (ts), Bob Gordon (bars), Russ Freeman (p), Curtis Counce (b), Shelly Manne (d). Arrangements by Willie Maiden.

Recorded in Hollywood, February 19, 1954.

googled some lineups...

Milt Jackson:

James Moody (fl, vo) Milt Jackson (vib) Cedar Walton (p) Ron Carter (b) Otis "Candy" Finch (d)

Moody only on flute and vocals ?!

the masekela looks nice:

Hugh Masekela (flhrn); Dudu Pukwana (as); Larry Willis (p, el-p); Eddie Gomez (b); Nakhaya Ntshoko (d)

Oi, Masekela w/Dudu, 's nice! :)

It is indeed! I was listening to it a week or so ago. Fabuloso! And just fits onto a single CD.

The only complaint I have with the album is the LP packaging, which is dire, as well as being horrid. I suspect I'd welcome a CD, simply to not have to fiddle with the packaging.

MG

And to make things more confusing, they get mixed up there with the last few batches of Digipack-LPRs (or rather some were jewel case-packed but already named "Originals", such as Lateef's "Psychicemotus" and Ayler's "New Grass", so they went jewel case when renaming the series but then returned to digipack again... all rather confusing...)

This may be regional differences, because here in the US botht he Lateef and the Ayler are digipaks. . . .

googled some lineups...

Milt Jackson:

James Moody (fl, vo) Milt Jackson (vib) Cedar Walton (p) Ron Carter (b) Otis "Candy" Finch (d)

Moody only on flute and vocals ?!

Okay, that one looks like a winner. Candy Finch = Hell Yeah!

It is indeed! I was listening to it a week or so ago. Fabuloso! And just fits onto a single CD.

The only complaint I have with the album is the LP packaging, which is dire, as well as being horrid. I suspect I'd welcome a CD, simply to not have to fiddle with the packaging.

MG

So was that a double album, or why does it just fit onto a single CD? I don't know anything about it, but now I'll go and look for it!

This may be regional differences, because here in the US botht he Lateef and the Ayler are digipaks. . . .

Yes, now I remember, we discussed that before... seems European Universal made the change from LPRs/digipacks to Originals a few batches earlier.

MG

I'll give a third :tup on the Masekela, which was indeed a double album. Contains what I remember being the definitive version of Larry Willis's great "Inner Crisis". I've been waiting for this one to come to CD. Getz's 'Sweet Rain', as mentioned in other threads, is great. My favorite Getz album of all time, period.

Edited by felser

yup, seems so - #11-18 of the following disc:

Band Ain’t Draggin’ – 1950-1954

Maynard Ferguson Orchestra & Octet

Featuring: 'Chico' Alvarez, Al Porcino, Shorty Rogers (tp), Milt Bernhart, Harry Betts, Bob Fitzpatrick, Herbie Harper, Dick Kenney (tb), John Graas (frh), Gene Englund (tuba), Art Pepper, Bud Shank, Abe Most (as), Bob Cooper, Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gioga, Bob Gord

img]http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/cp_images/c4042.jpg

REFERENCE: FSRCD 2204

BAR CODE: -

PRICE: 9.90 €

Listen: Sample 1 Sample 2 Sample 3

The music on these sides is the product of different sessions that represent, between them, a veritable Blue Book of West Coast jazz. At the head of each ensemble, enjoying himself to the full, is trumpeter extraordinary Maynard Ferguson. Most of the men heard in this CD were old friends, either colleagues from the Stan Kenton band or Californians with whom he had worked on and off for several years. “Stan Kenton was really the first to realize what I could do technically on a horn”, said Ferguson in 1956. “Because he’s such a natural, such a great leader, he saw my capabilities in perspective and acting accordingly.” We feel that anyone interested in West Coast jazz sounds will find these recordings of exceptional value.

Tracklisting:

1. Band Ain’t Draggin’ (Joe Greene) 2:11

2. Short Wave (S.Rogers) 2:34

3. Love Locked Out (Noble-Kester) 2:56

4. Take The “A” Train (B.Staryhorn) 2:52

5. What’s New (Haggart-Burke) 3:10

6. The Hot Canary (Nero-Gilbert) 2:20

7. Roses All The Way (Carpenter-Weber) 2:37

8. And So I Waited Around (Altman-Kaye) 2:51

9. Homing Pidgeon (Drake-Shirl-Jerome) 2:35

10. Wow! (S.Rogers) 2:05

11. Maiden Voyage (W.Maiden) 2:58

12. Thou Swell (Rodgers-Hart) 2:43

13. The Way You Look Tonight (Kern-Fields) 2:53

14. All God’s Chillun Got Rhythm (Kaper-Jurman) 2:54

15. Willie Nillie (W.Maiden) 3:03

16. Hymn To Her (W.Maiden) 2:33

17. Lonely Town (Comden-Green-Bernstein) 3:07

18. Over The Rainbow (Arlen-Harburg) 3:03

Tracks #1-4: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp,vcl), Alfred 'Chico' Alvarez, Al Porcino, Shorty Rogers (tp), Milt Bernhart, Harry Betts, Bob Fitzpatrick (tb), John Graas (frh), Gene Englund (tuba), Art Pepper, Bud Shank (as), Bob Cooper, Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gioga (bars), Joe Rotundi (p), Don Bagley (b), Shelly Manne (d). Arrangements by Joe Roland (#1), Shorty Rogers (#2,4), Paul Villepigue (#3).

Recorded in Hollywood, September 13, 1950.

#5-6: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp) accompanied by the Stan Kenton Band: Alfred 'Chico' Alvarez, John Howell, Shorty Rogers, Jimmy Salko (tp), Milt Bernhart, Harry Betts, Bob Fitzpatrick, Dick Kenney (tb), Paul Weigand (btb), Art Pepper, Bud Shank (as), bart Caldarell, Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gioga (bars), Ralph Blaze (g), Stan Kenton (p), Don Bagley (b), Shelly Manne (d). Arrangements by Shorty Rogers (#5), Pete Rugolo (#6).

Recorded in Hollywood, May 31, 1951.

#7-10: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp), Alfred 'Chico' Alvarez, Shorty Rogers (tp), Milt Bernhart, Herbie Harper, Dick Kenney (tb), Abie Most, Bud Shank (as), Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Bob Gordon (bars), Barney Kessel (g), Frank Patchen (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Shelly Manne (d), Kay Brown (vcl). Arrangements by Pete Rugolo.

Recorded in Hollywood, February 25, 1952.

#11-18: Maynard Ferguson (dir,tp,vtb), Milt Bernhart (tb), Bud Shank (fl,as), Bob Cooper (ts), Bob Gordon (bars), Russ Freeman (p), Curtis Counce (b), Shelly Manne (d). Arrangements by Willie Maiden.

Recorded in Hollywood, February 19, 1954.

The octet recordings here only come to around 23 minutes. I assume the Verve release will have more than that, won't it?

Greg Mo

The sessions above are not the ones on the Octet Emarcy CD. I don't have the timings but this is the music (and personnel) of the CD reissue:

Maynard Ferguson (Canadian)

[F1042-8]

Maynard Ferguson Octet:

Conte Candoli (tp) Maynard Ferguson (tp,b-tp,v-tb) Milt Bernhart (tb) Herb Geller (as) Georgie Auld (ts) Bob Gordon (bar) Ian Bernard (p) Red Callender (b) Shelly Manne (d)

Los Angeles, April 25, 1955

11532 Finger snappin' EmArcy MG36021, Merc 6641578, EmArcy EMS-2-406

11533 Autumn leaves -

What was her name ? -

My new flame -

20 rue de Madrid (*) - - -

Inter-space (*) - - -

Super G - - -

Yeah (*) - - -

I have but two horns (*) - -

Note: (*) Also on Mercury (Jap)EJD1016 [CD].

All above titles also on Fresh Sound (Sp)FSRCD2209 [CD] titled "Maynard Ferguson Plays Bill Holman Arrangements"; see various flwg sessions to May 12, 1956 for rest of this 2 CD set.

maria toledo ! :excited:

she was the female singer on some bossa tracks by stan getz. i always wanted to hear more of her singing.

has anybody already heard this album by maria toledo & luis bonfa?

Yup, she's outstanding on "Jazz Samba Encore"! I mean, I do like the charms for Astrud Gilberto, but Toledo is something else! Will have to check out that new one as well!

The last batch of these isn't released yet so that might explain the unavailability of them.

No, some have gone from having a release date (29th July, which the Ferguson still has) to 'currently unavailable'. HMV is showing 1st September.

Pa Ubu, as usual with Universal its not so easy to find out what is available in this series, but I can say for sure that the list in your link is incomplete-I have seen Coltrane and Ellington releases in the same series... Now can somebody point us in the direction of a definitive listing?

Spin in Newcstle point out that another Roy Ayers, another Ramsey Lewis, A Jazz Crusaders and Terry Callier releases are around the corner...

The last batch of these isn't released yet so that might explain the unavailability of them.

No, some have gone from having a release date (29th July, which the Ferguson still has) to 'currently unavailable'. HMV is showing 1st September.

Amazon UK now showing release date 1st September.