Blindfold Test #3 - Discussion

RDK

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved over from the other thread...

First of all, thanks a lot Jim R for a very cool disc. I received it this evening, I listened through it twice, and took a guess on each song. Gave it my best shot. Participants or Jim R, feel free to explain why my guesses are wrong, if so inclined...

1. "Samba De Orpheus"--I knew the track so I searched on AMG. Vince Guaraldi has one the same length with the right type of personnel, so that's as good a guess as any.

2. Milt Jackson maybe? Very laid back and relaxed, I like it.

3. Every time I hear a mute I think it's Miles, so that's my guess. Continues the laid back vibe nicely. I know I've heard this song and it is bugging me.

4. Pat Martino on a chill pill?

5. Lee Konitz? No idea.

6. I really like this one a whole lot, my favorite of the batch. Hank Jones?

7. Kenny Burrell? No clue.

8. "Chega De Saudade"--Stan Getz?

9. Gerry Mulligan? Haven't the foggiest.

10. Bola Sete? Joao Donato? Couldn't tell ya.

11. a Horace Silver disciple? I know the song and the title won't come to me. Not an inkling.

12. nice driving latin percussion...no clue. Lou Donaldson?

13. Tal Farlow? Beyond me.

14. I don't recognize the voice. Sarah Vaughn? I guess her because I'm totally unfamiliar with her.

15. Yusef Lateef? Reminded me of his tone.

16. Les McCann? Compositionally sounded like a possibility.

I found this cd thoroughly enjoyable start to finish. Thanks again Jim R!

1. "Samba De Orpheus"--I knew the track so I searched on AMG. Vince Guaraldi has one the same length with the right type of personnel, so that's as good a guess as any.

I agree with Noj on this one. This was the only track I knew after the first listen. I wasn't sure of the track at first, but knew it was Guaraldi, which narrowed it down quite a bit.

I'm still trying to close in on a few of the others. #3 definitely sounds like Miles to me, but I'm not sure which track.

Well, I am not going to get any closer to the truth and won't have time to try, so here goes:

1. Nice tune, very familiar but I have no clue, while the bass doesn't sound right, I wondered if it could be Ray Brown when he was playing with Monty Alexander. 3.5 stars.

2. Nother excellent 3.5 star track, I'm going to go counter-intuitive and say, "not Bags".

3. This one I kept going back and forth between Miles and Sweets Edison. I might be wrong of course (hell, I probably am wrong) but I felt like I didn't recognize the tenor as any of Miles' partners (then again, I missed Trane on Dr. J's test, so really, what the heck do I know?) so I went back to Sweets and am going to say Sweets and Zoot. Another 4 star track.

4. If I am not mistaken, I got this from Good Mr. Rowan, so I will keep it to myself.

5. My notes say mid-50s, for some reason but I am probably wrong. I dug it alot though.

6. Nice but no clue. Liked the bass solo a lot.

7. Nice but no clue.

8. ditto

9. ditto

10. ditto

11. Ditto.

I know that there is no theme here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he actually did stumble onto a theme-Songs Dan Will Dig :)

12. Didn't do much for me. There goes the theme ;)

13. I know this song but I have no urge to go figuring it out, and anyway, I don't want to spoil it for everyone else.

14. No clue.

15. did nothing for me. I prefer my girl singers to sound more like girls.

16. Another one I recognize and know and its killing me not to name it but ... I just turned 38 and you know how its the memory that's first to go.

Thanks once again to the esteemed Mr. Rowan who has put together a terrific disc. Hard, but really quite nice overall with very, very few misses for me and lots of tunes that were easily three or four stars.

This one pretty much had me stumped all the way through, but the selections are top-notch! Thanks for a great listen, Jim. Here goes with my comments and guesses (when I even bother guessing):

1. Swinging! Pianist is awfully familiar, makes me think of Ahmad Jamal with his shifts to very soft dynamics. Bright, full... great stuff.

2. Sounds like Milt Jackson. I'd guess the MJQ but the piano doesn't sound like John Lewis. Is this "Taking a Chance On Love"?

3. Brisk rhythm; nice, puckish trumpet solo. Reminiscent of early 60's Miles but I think it's more recent.

4. Gently swaying Braziliany thing with two guitars. Tasty. Won't even bother guessing.

5. Great tenor player. Great quartet! Can't identify any of them, except the rough-and-ready arco bass solo could point to Paul Chambers.

6. The pianist seems tantalizingly familiar. Fancy, flutter-style upper-register bass solo. Nice.

7. This is my preferred kind of guitar sound. No clue who it is. Peter Leitch? Adam Rogers? Joshua Breakstone? Wild guesses. As usual I recognize the tune but can't think of the name of it.

8. I'd guess Stan Getz and one of his Brazilian records.

9. Nice arrangement. The dashing bebop alto player is probably the leader but the baritone has the best solo. I'd swear I recognize the alto player, but naming him is another matter.

10. Solo guitar, Brazilian rhythm. No idea.

11. Piano/bass duo. Another tune I recognize but can't think of the name of. Tommy Flanagan?

12. Very nice. Similar to number 8. No clue.

13. "I Mean You" (at last a name I remember). No idea. I like this guitar sound too - close to Jim Hall, but not his phrasing.

14. At last an easy one! Sarah Vaughan, Jobim's "Double Rainbow." This is a gorgeous tune.

15. The soprano sound often reminds me strongly of Steve Lacy, but this isn't his style of music. Another great tune! I'll be looking for this once I find out what it is. Odd that it fades away during the piano solo - I guess it was too long and only the relevant blindfold portion was included?

16. "The Good Life"? Once again, no idea who it is.

1) A fast samba. Nice drum effect on the intro. I'm guessing Vince Guaraldi based on the way he crushes / elides certain notes for a bluesy effect. Really light touch on the comping, like Horace Silver with 75% fewer calories... The articulation screams "Guaraldi" to me, but watch it turn ou to be Andre previn in a particularly funky mood! Swinging stuff, though.

2) The way the vibes ring -- a distinctive ring -- and the use of what sound to me like octave runs on the solo make me think this is Lem Winchester. Lovely performance. If it's Lem, then that's probably Richard Wyands on the piano. Can't place the tune, but it sounds like one of those originals that coulda / shouldda been a standard.

3) In the ensembles, the tenor players sounds remarkably like Tina Brooks, but I know for a fact this is not some previously unheard Brooks session. In the solos, the players sounds lke it must be a young Cliff Jordan -- distinctive phrases and cries -- to me, but it could be another Chicago tenor, more obscure. Nicky Hill? No, I think its still Jordan. The muted trumpet sounds like Lee Morgan not so much in terms of timbre, but in terms of the vocal effects and tricky stuff. Vee-Jay material? The tune has nice changes; I particualrly like the suspensions on the bridge.

4) Ah, a twin-guitar track. The dark-toned melody player almost could be Howard Roberts, so I'm going to guess its him overdubbing himself over his own rhythm part. But the recording quality makes it sound like a 70's or 80's recording, so I gotta wonder. Wait a minute... Surely this is Joe Pass with John Pisano. Whatever the case, sunny music with a tinge of melancholy. Dig-able.

5) This one is killing me. I KNOW this tenor player. That tone, really tangy. The way he's pushing the beat in the best Hawk-inspired way. His solo is Lockjaw-esque, somewhat, in its convolutions, but its not Lockjaw. The pianist could be Red Garland, but I think not... Sounds like an early 60's Prestige date to me, but then there's that arco bass solo. This one has got me stumped, but I feel like I should know what it is. Perhpas Jimmy Forrest -- but the tone is too dark-sounding to me... with Joe Zawinul. Arrrgghhhh!

6) The intro reminded me a little of something that Roland Hanna might play. But then in the pianist's more folrid moments, and because of his ability to really do the montno thing, I'm guessing its a Cuban player able to jazz it up, not a jazz player conversant with Cuban music. The chops mean it could be Gonzalo Rubalcaba or Chucho Valdes, but that "Work Song" quote really throws me off! A little corny, too, I have to say... Danilo Perez is a faint possibility. This bassist is going to hurt himself. I see Rubalcaba has recorded with John Pattituci, so I'll stick with him as my guess; I just don't know his work that well.

7) To me, this almost has to be the great Jimmy Raney. The guitar sound says Raney to me, as does the harmonic sophistication. Jimmy Raney is one of my heroes, and, reagrdless of whether its him or not, this is my favorite performance on this disc so far. If I'm wrong, I can't wait to learn how this is. Don't recognize the pianist, though...

8) Sounds like Zoot Sims to me. Man, that acoustic guitar is pretty well buried in the mix.

9) This one has me mystified. I'm baritone sax sounds like Charles Davis to me, but the theme itself sounds so "West Coast" to me, especially the sax voicings. A Lennie Niehaus track? No, the writing is complex, but the solo has too much funk / Jackie McLean in it... You know what! Its Frank Strozier with George Coleman and Pat Patrick on an early 60's Jazzland date, LONG NIGHT. Excellent. This fist time I heard this session I was kind of underwhelmed. But I really like this performance. Thanks for giving me a new appreciation for this, Jim -- assuming that's what it is.

10) This is "Brazil". The great Barney Kessel from his 1981 solo album on Concord. One of my favorite solo guitar records.

11) I half-recognize both the tune and the player, but again I draw a blank. I want to say its Hampton Hawes with Charlie Haden, but it isn't. I still think it's Hamp Hawes however.

12) Another tenor player I should know. Kind of logy rhythmically, which is a nice effect with all the percussion. Illinois Jacquet goes Latin?

13) This one I know. "I Mean You" by Joshua Breakstone from his Monk tribute record with Dennis Irwin and [insert a "Hell Yeah!"] Mickey Roker. Another of my favorite guitar recordings. Breakstone really understands this music, which I think it pretty impressive given his choice of instrument.

14) Another mystery. I know it's Jobim's "Double Rainbow" -- a great tune, though I prefer it without lyrics -- which you don't hear all that often, especially int eh era from which I think this recording dates (late 70's / early 80's). Mostly because its from his later song-book, correct? Wow, the way she sings "You belong to no one..." Yeah! That I like.

15) Hmmm... a soprano sax track that 's got me stumped. Very plaintive; sounds like soprano might not be this player's primary horn. Wait, a trombone, then a trumpet... Could this be Jane Ira Bloom with Julian Priester and Kenny Wheeler? If so, that's probably Fred Hersch on piano. She had an album with instrumentation like that on Arabesque, right? Whoever it is, I kind of like the use of space / hesitancy in the soprano solo, though the player's tone kind of bugs me a little as I listen further. Lacy-esque, with a further twist, but a less atrractive tone. Interesting.

16) "The Good Life". But I don't know the pianist. Sounds almost like Freddie Redd to me in the arpeggios and clusters and even in some of the comping decisions. But Freddie never had chops like these. Nice, not my favorite version. I come up empty on the personnel.

OK, here we go...

TRACK ONE - seems to have already been nailed. Sounds right to me. Good stuff, everybody's playing. Good club music for a lively crowd on a lively night.

TRACK TWO - Don't really have a clue, but the vibes player seems to be using slightly harder mallets than Bags. The pianist sounds a HELLUVA lot like Red, but I know of no Red date w/vibes. A few things, like the tone, phrasing, attack, and that one thing coming out of the bridge on the solo where he rapidly repeats one note remind me of Terry Gibbs. Definitely a Van Gelder recording, so maybe Lem Winchester, a player who I don't think I've ever heard. THIS WINCHESTER DATE has personnel that seems plausible. Beautiful tune, by the way. Never heard it before that I know of, but very, VERY nice. In fact, the words of the title of the first tune on that Winchester date seem like they fit with the closing phrase of the A-section, so that's my guess - a tune I've never heard off an album I've never heard by a player I've never heard. If I'm right, well, like they say, I'd rather be lucky than good...

TRACK THREE - VERY easy. Pretty sure I have this in some form or fashion. El Emincee Jay on the "Martha Quinn" tip.

TRACK FOUR - I have no clue, but this ("The Dolphin") is a REALLY nice tune, one that I'm casually familiar with. Jim, your reputation as a "tune guy" reveals itself throughout this disc, and very nicely so. I've never heard Louis Stewart, but from what I've heard OF him, this sounds like the kind of player he is, so I'll guess THIS Again, I'd rather be lucky than good, at least on things like this.

TRACK FIVE - Now THIS one is seriously fukkin with me. I'm thinking the tune is "How Am I To Know", and the tenor player is Benny Golson, but I can't find a match to those terms, so I got SOMETHING wrong. Assuming that it's the tune, I'll guess THIS , another album I don't really know, but it's the closest match I could find, even though the drummer sounds a lot more like Philly than Persip. Whoever it is, this is some badass stuff. The way the cat plays the melody SO relaxed and then goes off into the Hawk-via-Lucky vertical lines that are really involved while all the while keeping that relaxed feel is the mark of a master, and you can say something similar about the whole group. For this kind of playing (inspired craftsmanship in a familar "style"), this is as good as it gets. Love it.

TRACK SIX - Stumped again. I feel like I should know who the pianist is, and will probably feel like an idiot when I find out. The bassist sounds like an animated and involved Ron Carter on piccolo bass when he solos, but not when accompanying. The habanera section on the bridge is quite nice. The quoting thing is ALMOST annoying here, but done with just enough ingenuity to keep it from being so. The reconizable quotes are both from Nat Adderley tunes, so I wonder if there's any significance? I'm tempted to guess Oscar Peterson, but won't. It's a tad too loose and controlled, simultaneously(!) for me to go there. No matter - highly spirited music, with both players going with the flow in a completely engaging manner. Good stuff.

TRACK SEVEN - the guitarist's tone, attack, and phrasing virtually screams "JIM HALL" to me at first (a little less as the piece develops), but more than that I can't say, not even for sure that it IS Hall. But I like the piece and performance very much. It's got a kind of peaceful calm to it that I very much admire in others because I so seldom have it myself. The interplay is wonderful, marvelous even.

TRACK EIGHT - Always a pleasure to hear Nino Tempo! Seriously, if that's not Getz, then it must be Rich Little... The tune we know, but what recording? I don't have a clue. This is a really spirited rendition, with Getx/Little really digging in and pushing it. I'd have to listen more to say whether he was pushing the rhythm section or vice-versa, but no matter, everybody's playing for keeps here. The guitarist (is it really his/her album w/etz/Little guesting? Probably not, but...) is into it too, especially in the duet section. Very telepathic, getting into Konitz/Marsh territory in that regard. And the DRUMMER!!! HELL YEAH!!! You get a lot of guys who play bossa/samba/etc, and they just play the beat with the little fill here and there, but this cat is playing the MUISC, very much "in the moment". An excellent cut.

TRACK NINE - OK, first time through I was thrown until the tenor player played. KNEW who he was! ;) So playing geographic tag, I took a stab at the altoist. Third listen through, I copped the bari player from some Ra and other sides. Went to AMG, and TA-DAH!!!! Love Mr. Alto's twisted phrasing, the backwards way he displaces his phrases, almost Ornette-like. Very personal. This is a cat that deserves to be better known, and I WILL be checking out this album. Sounds like the proverbial "lost treasure", oh yes it does.

TRACK TEN - at first I was thinking Lenny Breau because of the occasional multi-lineage going on, but I couldn't sell myself on that idea, so I cheated, looked up the tune on AMG and got THE ANSWER which is perfectly logical, because this cat is a musician of the highest level, and what he does to this tune harmonically requires such a mind - nothing cheap or grandstanding about it. It's bold, yeah, but so much more. He pushes the time a tad more than I really feel comfortable with, but since it's him, I'll assume that that's how he wanted it, and I gotta respect that. You can't argue with this cat.

TRACK ELEVEN - Sounds like a REALLY opened up Wynton Kelly, maybe a cleaned up Vee-Jay cut from the Mosaic set (haven't heard it yet) but I don't think so, but still (no, I CAN'T make up my mind...). I have no idea who it is. It's really nice, but if it's not Kelly, then I can like it but let it go. If it IS Kelley, however, it's a very revealing cut, one that I'd say showed his "after hours" side, just playing w/o any "gig" pressure, and as such it would be a very valuable document. What difference does it make? Well, if you're the type that takes everything in life at face value, probably none. But I'm not that type...

TRACK TWELVE - Eddie WHO? :g Yeah, once you know that tone, that feel, that VIBE, you can NOT mistake it. MY "GUESS" :g , which explains the quality of the guitar work, if correct (and suggests a reinvestigation of this edition of Dizzy's band for their role in the introduction of the Bossa to American audiences). Beautiful tune, whatever it is. starts out like "Deep In A Dream", and then goes into bebop blues changes. Some hip shit.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Works for me. Kinda Burrell/Davis/Haynes-ish, but there's worse things to go after, eh? Good-Wilbur Ware-ish bass lines, and the drummer's the real deal. MY GUESS Solid stuff. Maybe not what I'd buy, I'll definitelylisten to all of it anybody gives me. :g

TRACK FOURTEEN - Sounds like Sarah, but closer listening brings some real doubts. It's not controlled or graceful enough for her, I think. And that vibrato on the tag is NOT Sarah-esque, unless it's her on an off day towards the end of her life. Funky lyrics too, not really "singable" at this tempo for this singer. Who is it? I don't know. Great tune ("Double Rainbow", right? Don't know it that well, just going by the lyric, unfortunately), but this version doesn't do it justice, at least not for me.

TRACK FIFTEEN - I smell a trick! I think this is Dexter on soprano! Can't say from where, but those lines and the way they're phrased are PURE Dexter. Translate what you hear to tenor, and it's GOT to be Dexter, and fairly late too, judging from how far behind the beat he is and how every phrase in wrought with the drama of if he'll be able to finish it or not. Some people don't care for this very late Dexter, but I love it. It's as real as anything gets, and if it's kinda weary, well, that's kinda the point, dig?. Might be from THE OTHER SIDE OF ROUND MIDNIGHT, ANOTHER album I don't have and have never heard (hey, can't do it all at once, gotta save something for later...), but I really don't have a clue. But that's Dexter, I'll bet some money on it.

TRACK SIXTEEN - It's good life, sure, but it would be better if you'd TUNE THE BASS!!! :g Seriously, a big part of this sounds like the way Red garland used to play in the 70s at the Recovery Room, but not with all those flourishes. Kind of a schizo performance, but I like it well enough. As for who it is, AMG provides me a prety good clue, but I would have never guessed this person (although it amkes a lot of sense in many ways), so I'll not put it out here, since I'm still not totally sure.

Hey - a GREAT disc. Again! Thanks to Jim and all the others who put the work into getting it out to us, and even mopreso, thanks for having such good taste.

Having read Jim's comments re: tracks 5 and 12... I have to agree. 5 especially, frm a record called TURNING POINT that was on Mercury being my guess (check the rhythm section...). For 12 I offer no excuses; I just never thought of Eddie for some reason.

Still not sure how I failed to recognize "The Dolphin" either -- in fact, I'm still not sure. The original Tamba 3 arrangement is lodged too deep in my brain.

I've listened to the disc and really enjoy the music Jim has picked. Haven't really tried to figure out what is what but that's not my purpose here. I was driving my son home and listening to it in the car, when he took his face out of the video magazines and said he really liked number 2, the vibes selection. High praise to Jim from a boy who thinks rap is cool. ;)

Here are my guesses after one spin in the a.m.:

1- "Samba de Orfeu"? The bass player has that Paul Chambers-like feel (ie. lagging ever so slightly behind the beat, but still swinging like a MF). Those block chords make me think of Red Garland, but the way the head is played definitely rules him out.

2- A familiar sounding tune, although I haven't heard it enough (at all?) to know the name. The vibes player has a beautiful way of phrasing - the notes connect smoothly and the result is one of clarity and relaxation. No idea who the musicians are.

3- Lee Morgan, possibly from his TAKE TWELVE album, 'cuz I haven't heard this tune before (and I have a lot of Lee in my collection). Didn't recognize him when he was playing the head, but his style is very apparent when the solos start. Cliff Jordan on tenor, I love his conception and sound (I know it's coming out of Rollins a lot, but still). Gots ta be Wynton Kelly on piano, what a magnificent pianist, such sparkling lines he produces. Sounds like a "down home" kind of theme, possibly an original by Jordan?

4- Totally stumped on this one; my guitar knowledge (like many people here, I suspect) is nowhere that of Jim R's.

5- Not sure about the tenor, but the pianist is Kelly again. On bass, Mr. P.C. Not sure about the tune.

6- Great interplay between piano and bass. Once again, no clue on the tune or musicians.

7- Very nice tune. Tempted to say Kenny Burrell, but I really don't think it's him. Not sure who's on piano either.

8- Stan Getz, I only have one of his discs, but that sound is very recognizable (man, I have to acquire more Getz). Interesting unison passage with tenor and vocal(s). Everything "stops" for Getz and the guitarist (Charlie Byrd, perhaps?). Man, Getz just blows me away - I have to get this one.

9- I don't like to label music like this, but the tune/arrangement sounds west-coastish. Gerry Mulligan on bari is the only reed I can identify (if that's actually him). Possibly Bud Shank on alto, but that's just a guess.

10- I don't know.

11- Another piano/bass duo. I like these pared down settings, it lets the music "breath" in a way that's totally unlike what you get in a trio setting (eg. w/drums). Not sure on the tune, starts off like "Bye, Bye Blackbird", though.

12- Not sure on the sax, but that was a very good solo; as was the piano solo. Another one I can't identify.

13- Part of the sound/tone makes me want to say Pat Metheny, but the licks aren't the kind he usually plays. Not sure on the name of the tune, but I've heard it before.

14- No clue, not something I'd seek out either.

15- Interesting how the trumpet comes in halfway through the head. I dig the soprano player, whoever he/she may be. What's with the fade out?

16- I really dig this tune, but damned if I can name it. Very beautiful rendition.

I’ve had the chance to listen to the disc a few times now, both in the car and in my office and now, finally, at home, and while I haven’t really had the time to *study* it too thoroughly, I do have some first impressions/guesses.

First, a few general thoughts. Wow, Jim’s tastes are sure different from Dan’s! ;) No, seriously, and I in no way mean this in a bad way. It struck me upon first listening to Jim’s “mix CD” just how varied this music we call jazz is – and between Jim and Dan they’ve barely covered a thing. I said at the time that I really dug BT2, and I can now say the same about BT3. It’s very different from Dan’s, and it’s a lot mellower than much of the jazz that I tend to listen to, but it’s all very, very good stuff. I think I’d reach for this one when the company’s over or if I want to introduce someone to the more melodic pleasures of jazz. Actually, though upon first listening I thought the music overall was “too mellow” for my tastes, upon subsequent listenings I’m finding more and more about it that strikes me as complex and improvisatory. I think we sometimes tend to discount things (whether music, movies, or books) that are too mainstream and accessible. I mean, c’mon, if my father likes this than how possibly could I? I really hope this doesn’t sound too backhanded a compliment as that’s most certainly not my intention – but it’s getting late and I’m exhausted.

Anyway, my first impressions/guesses without benefit of AMG or any other “cheats”…

1. This is “Samba de Orfeu/Orpheus” My very first thought upon hearing this is that it’s Ray Brown’s trio. One of his many Telarc discs. If so, then probably Benny Green on piano. I’m just guessing as I’m bad at identifying specific players, but it just sounds like one of Ray’s trio recordings. The classic material, the clear sound – it’s definitely a modern recording and that bass sound sounds like Telarc.

2. Again, pretty modern. I recognize the tune, I think, but couldn’t tell you the title. With vibes like that I’d tend to say Milt Jackson or Lionel Hampton, but I dunno – it just doesn’t sound like them to me. Maybe one of Hamp’s later recordings (I think he recorded on Telarc) or maybe Jackson on Pablo? Nice piano, but this is definitely a vibe-led date.

3. This one’s stumping me. Again, it’s fairly modern. My first thought was maybe the Farmer/Golson Jazztet, but now it doesn’t sound like them. The trumpet sounds more Roy Eldridge to me, but I don’t think he recorded much after the late 70’s and this sounds more recent than that. I’ll probably be embarrassed when it turns out I have this one. I like the rhythm section here.

4. Nice Latin-flavored tune (Jim likes the Latin jazz, as do I !). Are there two guitars here? Obviously an e-bass. No idea who’s playing. Maybe Kenny Burrell? One of his Concords? I really like this one.

5. No idea. I like the bowed bass solo (Jim’s got a thing for bassists as well I think). I’ll have to listen to this one some more.

6. A live recording, also relatively recent. Great sound. Ah, the theme finally comes in and I know this tune – a Bobby Timmons number isn’t it? (Or is he just quoting?) Could this be one of those live Ray Brown dates with two bassists? It sounds more like Christian McBride, though, than Ray. Again, it has that Telarc sound to it.

7. Guitar-piano duet – beautiful. The first time I heard this I thought Jim Hall. And for some reason Tommy Flannigan jumped into my head as the pianist even though I’m not that familiar with Flannigan’s work. Later, I thought the guitarist was Pat Methany (sounding like Jim Hall) but I’m pretty sure Pat’s never recorded in this format before. Again, I think I know this tune, but the theme is buried way down there – “Little Girl Blue?”

8. Again, a samba/bossa/whatever. Brazillian. Don’t recognize this as a Getz tune and it doesn’t sound that much like him anyway. Too modern sounding for his classic bossa novas anyway. Ah, those vocals! I know this sound, but can’t put a name to it. I’m gonna kick myself later, I just know it.

9. No idea. Not my favorite track on the disc, but not bad either. I originally wrote down Phil Woods in my notes, but I have idea why!

10. “Brazil.” Is this solo guitar or is there a second (overdubs?) – or is this guy just that good? Maybe a Brazilian guitarist. Bole Sete? Charlie Byrd (didn’t he do a solo Latin album back in the 60s)?

11. “Everything Happens to Me.” A wonderful song. The piano tends to overwhelm the mix, but once again the bass is prominent and well-recorded. Another Telarc? Maybe Benny Green?

12. Another familiar bossa nova, but I can’t recall the title. This isn’t from Charlie Rouse’s “Bossa Nova Bacchanal” is it? Right combo, but I haven’t spun it in a while. No, on second thought that piano solo is all wrong for that album, and the tune overall is too upbeat if I’m remembering correctly. I like this one a lot, though the sound is a bit harsh.

13. This is a Monk tune, though the title escapes me. It’s obviously the guitarist’s session. I dunno. This almost sounds like a Methany trio date, but Pat wouldn’t be the first guitarist to jump out at me this time. Roy Haynes on drums?

14. Not sure. Voice sounds too deep for Diane Reeves. Maybe Sarah Vaughan? (I should know Sarah Vaughan, but I’ll admit that I’m not a big fan of hers so don’t listen to her much.) Caught the lyrics “double rainbow” and I know that’s the title of a Jobin tune.

15. Soprano sax? Is this from Wayne Shorter’s “Native Dancer?” Sounds about right, with a bit of a Latin flavor to it, but I haven’t heard that album in a long time. No, there’s too many horns now so that’s not right. In other words, no idea.

16. “The Good Life.” Nice trio tune, played ultra-slow and close to the melody. My first reaction was that it’s a bit too conservative – too “nice” – but it’s growing on me and as I mentioned above it grows more interesting with each listen. At times the pianist sound like McCoy Tyner, but he’s almost playing too slowly for Tyner. Again, a relatively recent recording that sounds great. This is a nice way to close the disc.

Thanks Jim! This was a lot of fun. I’ll have to listen some more, read the other responses, and see how close I got. ;)

Oh hell. I'm so embarrassed. If I had fewer scruples I'd go back and edit my post regarding track number one. Of course that's the Guaradli version! It's only the most famous version of that song. I am surprised to hear it sound as good as it does. I was so certain that it was a recent recording that I didn't even consider that it was Guaraldi. :wacko:

Great disc, Jim. I'll enjoy thsi compilation long after this test is done.

When I first listened through I made notes: Here goes:

1 - Got this one right away. Vince does that little flourish ALL the time. The only record I own of his is the 45 of CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WINDS, and that's buried in a box somewhere , but I have to say this sounded great and swung through out.

2- Vibes with rhythm. Nice tune. My first thought was Bags or Hutch.

3- This is might be the ringer. It's not Miles, but the whole thing is very much in his quintet bag. The pianist, if it isn't Wynton, is playing a Wynton lick from SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME several times. I'm curious about this one. Anybody else - please put your 2 cents in on this one.

4- Two guitars, bass and drums - son't know who.

5- HOW AM I TO KNOW. Take that any way you want to. :P

I think I have this, but I can't place it.

6- Nice Piano Trio. Judging by the bass playing it's not TO old. Which for me means it's from sometime in the past 15 or 20 years.

7- Nic e - Don't know who.

8- Gotta be Getz. If it's a clone...HE COULDA FOOLED ME !

9 - Don't know - but I like it.

10- Same

11- Same

12- Eddie Harris. I love practically every thing he played.

13- I MEAN YOU. Its OK - Never really takes off for me. I love the tune - one of my favorite Monk things.

14- Nice vocal - no guess.

15- Don't know

16 - THE GOOD LIFE. This guy has a lot of chops. Again -I SHOULD KNOW THIS.

Dese tests can humble ya, I tell ya!

OK, as with the last 2, haven't looked at any discussion yet. Our little 3 month old is getting more and more active, so no time right now to do any additional "After" sleuthing. I'll just go with what I thought while listening.

General comments: obviously a lot of South American rhythms, and a lot of guitar. The latter generally spells disaster for me in trying to figure out who it is, because although I enjoy guitar in jazz, frankly I find very few guitarists have a unique, easily identifiable sound. This was a tough series to ID, I'm not sure I got ANY of the artists although I know I got at least one of the tunes! Anyway, here goes:

1. I enjoyed this tune, this is a trio that can really swing, whoever it was. I heard a prodigious technique in the piano player's work (I even thought of OP for a hot minute), yet also a definite two-fisted approach (with some segments of block chords a la Red Garland) that indicates either an older player or someone who carefully studied the older players. Best I could come up with as a guess would be Phineas Newborn, or maybe even Hampton Hawes in a mood to quote some old masters, but I'm honestly not sure. 4 stars

AFTER VIEWING OTHERS POSTS: Damn, now I just looked at Harold Z's notes and maybe it WAS Guaraldi - I had considered it for a brief moment but honestly the technique this player has sounded far superior to that I've heard on most Guaraldi records...if it was Vince, this is a SUPERB example of how you can have long-standing biases shattered with blindfold tests!

2. I should know this standard's name, but I couldn't come up with it. Vibes/piano quartet, kind of subdued but nice work. This didn't sound like any vibist that I'm real familiar with - so I crossed Hutch, Jackson, Dickerson, Pike, and some others rapidly off the list. Lem Winchester with Ramsey Lewis? Nice, but nothing to write home about. 2.5 stars

3. This was one of my favorites, really nicely done and an interesting composition. I'm almost positive I pegged the trumpeter - Lee Morgan with a mute? Sure sounded like Lee with some of those slurs and half-valving effects. Then I started to wonder if the tenor would be Shorter in his early, more Coltrane-influenced phase, but I don't think so. Clifford Jordan? I don't have all Lee's Vee Jay stuff, could be from that era. Pianist was doing some truly wicked comping. Anyway, this was one of my favorites on the disc, 5 stars, I want a copy!

4. I could hazard a guess, but honestly I have no idea. It was just okay, this is the problem I have with so much jazz guitar - kind of anonymous, although hard to fault the playing from a technical standpoint. Just didn't move me. 2 stars

5. Again, really no idea. Tenor player definitely from the Pres (or Pres through Getz) school. Zoot Sims or Al Cohn was the best I could come up with. I did really enjoy this one, as with number 3 the comping was just first rate (Jim, you must have a thing for excellent comping pianists!). 3.5 stars, might even be 4 with more listening

6. Remember that last tune on Dan's disc that had such mixed reaction? The long, slow, bluesy piece? I felt it really dragged, and would use this type of piece as a contrast. This was really well done, never lost my interest and they did it with just the two pieces. I heard a lot of quotes ("Work Song," and I'm pretty sure the basic structure was built on "Ain't Necessarily So") but I have no idea who this is. Someone bluesy - Junior Mance? Ray Bryant? This was nice, I'd enjoy hearing more from the date. 4 stars

7. Not sure again, but this was clearly in the lineage of the Jim Hall/Bill Evans collaborations. It did sound an awful lot like Hall to me on guitar, but the pianist was not Evans. Sounds more recently recorded anyway - I wil have to look up some of Hall's more recent recordings to see if I can get in the ballpark.

8. I would eat my hat if this wasn't Stan Getz on tenor. If not, then to paraphrase an old Miles Davis saying, then it's someone who's been wearing Getz' dirty drawers. Once again though I have no idea which recording this is. Nice stuff, but not the type of thing I listen to much, just breezy but not a lot of depth. If it's Getz, there's a lot better Getz out there. 2.5 stars

9. This was a major stumper. Baritone, tenor, alto sax arrangement, very nicely done and again an excellent comping pianist. If I had to hazard guesses for who's playing the horns, I'd say Woods on alto, Adams on baritone, and "no clue" on tenor! Good stuff, 3.5 stars, let down only a little by the lack of space for each of the horns to really stretch out (the solos sound like they end just as they're getting started)

10. Hmmm...maybe I need to retract my guess of Jim Hall on number 7, or maybe you have him represented twice. This sure sounds like the Jim Hall sound - remember that dirty drawers comment I made earlier? It's probably not him but someone influenced by him. I enjoyed this, 3 stars

11. Piano and bass. That much I know. Beyond that, no clue whatsoever. Didn't do much for me, 2 stars

12. Really in the doldrums here as far as guessing - no idea. Didn't like this at all, 1.5 stars.

AFTER READING OTHERS POSTS: Shit, if this is Eddie Harris, I'm surprised. I am a big fan, saw him live even (which for me is a big deal given when I got into jazz and where I live), love his work. This just didn't get it for me, though - so I'll know to avoid that album if it was Eddie at least!

13. AHA! Finally a tune I can name - "I Mean You" by Monk. This along with number 3 was my favorite, a really nice rendition and a truly remarkable guitar solo - several totally out of left field moments that made me grin. There's enough blues/grit in his playing to tap into the deeper Monk, but clearly this is a sophisticated bopper playing. Damn. The rhythm section also gets WAY inside this and I was grooving from start to finish. Sign me up for a copy...could this be Vic Juris (I could swear he did a Monk album)? 5 stars

14. I didn't know the tune, but there's a "Double Rainbow" lyric, so could it be that Jobim tune? Not my style again...just okay, and I found the vocalist's mannerisms distracting although clearly she has a phenomenal technique. 2.5 stars

15. Unusual front line, soprano sax and trumpet, the unisons were arresting - not used to hearing those timbres blend. Nice...VERY nice...my resepect and admiration grew with each bar. When I first heard the soprano I thought Lucky Thompson, but that doesn't feel right. Still, I can't come up with a more likely candidate - definitely not Trane, or Lacy, and yet it sounds like it was recorded in that era. Well done. 4 stars

16. I know this standard but cannot for the life of me come up with the name. I have no idea who this is...feeling kind of beat down at this point, so won't hazard a guess. It was enjoyable though, 3 stars

Thanks for another outstanding blindfold disc compilation Jim, you've added at least a couple of "must find" purchases to my growing list. I eagerly await the unveiling of the answers! :D

Edited by DrJ

First, a few general thoughts. Wow, Jim’s tastes are sure different from Dan’s! ;) No, seriously, and I in no way mean this in a bad way. It struck me upon first listening to Jim’s “mix CD” just how varied this music we call jazz is – and between Jim and Dan they’ve barely covered a thing. I said at the time that I really dug BT2, and I can now say the same about BT3. It’s very different from Dan’s, and it’s a lot mellower than much of the jazz that I tend to listen to, but it’s all very, very good stuff. I think I’d reach for this one when the company’s over or if I want to introduce someone to the more melodic pleasures of jazz. Actually, though upon first listening I thought the music overall was “too mellow” for my tastes, upon subsequent listenings I’m finding more and more about it that strikes me as complex and improvisatory. I think we sometimes tend to discount things (whether music, movies, or books) that are too mainstream and accessible. I mean, c’mon, if my father likes this than how possibly could I? I really hope this doesn’t sound too backhanded a compliment as that’s most certainly not my intention

Ray, that's it- you're banned. :g:g:g No, no... actually, that was very well put, and not only am I not offended, I'm glad you said it. I basically said the same thing to Dan in a recent e-mail. My tastes in jazz definitely are more conservative than most, and I do love melody (perhaps to a fault). So yeah, Dan's and my tests don't overlap much, and there's *still* plenty of ground to cover in future tests. Pretty cool. B)

As long as I'm posting, I might as well add that this is not only a blast for me, but I'm learning too. It's great to have one's fellow music lovers analyze what you dig (even if they don't hit the nail on the head every time), because it both reinforces what you knew as well as presenting new angles that you hadn't even thought about. Many of these tracks are long time favorites of mine (either the tune, the artist, or both), with only a few tracks added more for the sake of "let's see if anybody can figure these out" (#'s 8, 9, and 12 are in that category).

I'm only halfway through this. I've listened to the the entire disc while driving, but today's the first time I've been able to sit down and listen seriously with both ears.

1 - The first person that came to mind was Vince Guraldi, but since I have no Guaraldi in my collection, and have only heard him on the radio, it's just a guess.

2 - Don't have a clue. I liked the vibes player - good relaxed, bluesy sound. The piano player didn't do much for me - a little Red Garland here, a little Timmons there. If this is the Lem Winchester/Ramsey Lewis date, it's better than I expected.

3 - Didn't care for this. The trumpet player was so tightly muted, it seemed like he was trying so hard to get his sound out of the horn that he couldn't get the music out. Maybe that's just the sound of the recording.

4 - When I was driving and heard this, Pat Martino came to mind. Nothing Special.

5 - My first thought (again when I was driving) was Lucky Thompson. The album he did for Prestige came to mind - don't have the record, but I remembered Hank Jones played on it, and the pianist reminded me of him. But the tone is heavier and the horn plays more rhythmically modern lines. My second thought was Benny Golson. I played some of his Free album today, and though it's not from that, Golson is my guess.

6 - Enjoyed this. No clue again. Denny Zeitlin was the first name that popped into my head - have no idea why.

7 - Two people doing a Hall/Evans thing, though I'm pretty sure it's not them. Nice stuff, though.

8 - Sounds like Getz to me. The tune is familiar - something he recorded previously? I love Getz' earlier Bossa stuff. Those sounded like they were made in the spirit of love and ended up being commercially successful. This sounds like it was recorded for commercial reasons and probably didn't make as much money as the earlier recordings.

That's it for now. I'll get to part 2 tonight before the Series or, more likely, tomorrow night if tonight's not rained out.

Boy, am I stumped on most of these! Lots of latin rhythms-not my strong suit, but let me say right here I really like most of these and would love to hear more! OK, here are my guesses/comments:

1. I know this samba, I've heard versions of it by Desmond & Hall among others-but I don't know who this is. Great piano (as on a lot of these tracks).

2. "Taking A Chance On Love", right? I love the ringing vibes, could be Milt Jackson but I'm not at all sure...is it Oscar Peterson on piano?

3. I really got into this one, it's not Miles or Morgan on trumpet but has elements of both-Eddie Henderson maybe.

4. Another samba-don't know who this is...

5. This I really dig-is that Benny Golson on tenor? Paul Chambers on that bowed bass solo? I should know this one....

6. I picked up on the "Work Song" quote, but not at all sure who this is-could it be Junior Mance? Great arrangement, another piano I'd like to hear more of.

7. Is this Jim Hall? Sounds like him...

8. It's Stan Getz or someone doing a damn good impersonation! Not his best stuff if it is indeed Getz.

9. Stumped again-could be Cecil Payne on bari...

10. I love the chording but not at all sure who this is-Joe Pass maybe?

11. Another great piano and bass, but no guess on this one...

12. I like this a lot, but not at all sure who it is...

13. A Monk tune, great drummer on this one! Is this Roy Haynes? John Scofield on guitar? I can get into this...

14. Sarah Vaughan (I think). I'm not much on vocals...

15. Another one I don't have a clue about-I have heard Jimmy Heath sound like this on soprano-but I bet it aint Jimmy!

16. Another pianist I can't name! I should know this tune-can't think of the name & it's buggin' me...beautiful piano.

This was a most enjoyable introduction to the Blindfold Test! This disc will get some play here for sure. VERY challenging, and a great way to spend a Sunday when the football is boring! Thanks Jim-can't wait to see the answers.

:tup

Guesses Part 2 -

9 - Sounds like a West coast thing. My first reaction was "pleasant", but this has grown on me with a couple more listenings. No guess as to identities, but I enjoyed the alto most, the bari least. Why did they bother letting the pianist solo? It seemed like he was cut off almost before he began?

10 - When this began, I thought perhaps Jimmy Raney. But it sounds like someone who's more used to playing rhythm guitar.

11 - This sounds familiar - like someone I should know, but I'm stumped.

12 - This came off a bit too mechanical or unrelaxed for my taste, especially the rhythm section. It sounded like a group that was brought together in the studio to do a bossa record. I imagine that if I heard these musicians under different circumstances I'd enjoy them a lot more, especially the saxophonist. I liked the guitar.

13 - I liked hearing the guitar player improvise with Monk's melody in mind, and not just the chords. On the other hand, I felt that the guitarist's sound was somewhat anonymous - not a lot of personality in his/her playing.

14 - The vocalist has a full strong voice. I couldn't take the lyrics - too earth mother/hippyish for me. I also enjoyed the instrumental backing. But ooh - those lyrics!

15 - Thought I was listening to lite jazz fm. Tuned this one out early. Sorry.

16 - No idea on the pianist. Didn't grab me, and the recording seemed pretty hard also.

Reading this over, my comments on the second half of the disc seem pretty negative. I actually had a good time listening to what Jim put out there for us, and I'll probably pick up two or three recordings when I find out what they are. I was completely stumped on most (perhaps all?) of this, and that's one thing I like about these tests - I like to hear new things that I don't normally listen to. I also enjoy getting a sense of what other Board members listen to, beyond the monthly listening posts. Thanks for a good time, Jim. Now I'll go back and read other people's comments.

Reading this over, my comments on the second half of the disc seem pretty negative.

I just wanted to jump in and say that I have no problem at all with this. Sure, I'd love it if everybody dug every track, but I'm more realistic than that, and as long as it's sincere and honest and not nasty (no reason to expect that from anybody, as I currently have no running feuds with anyone ;) ), it's cool. So, by all means be critical of what you don't like. I actually agree with some of the specific criticisms, believe it or not.

The flipside of this might be that I hope I can feel free to challenge some of the negative comments if I feel they're not completely well-founded in my opinion. I think some of my comments in this regard will have to do with the guitarists, because that's one area where I feel I'm qualified to say I've had more experience than most jazz fans. I think I might be able to share some knowledge in this area that could help some folks out in terms of appreciating jazz guitarists in general. More on this later... I'm going to try to jot down some topics for discussion in a word-processing document that I'm saving for later.

Oh- I'm still having a blast reading everyone's comments. I hope that everybody that received a disc will post something, even if they feel too stumped to comment on every track. Please don't be shy about making any sort of comments that come to mind. Participation is what makes this whole thing worthwhile!

Thanks-

Jim

This is my first participation in any of these blindfold exercises. First, I would like to thank Jim for putting together a wonderful cd of beautiful music. I love most of the songs and fear that I'll go on a spending spree once I learn where the tracks come from.

I have not read any of this thread so as to offer virgin opinions.

My personal collection of jazz music runs around 600 cds with around 60% being Blue Notes (as a guess!), so I've got a medium-sized collection. I've heard lots of things, but not nearly as much as many others on this board.

Second, I noticed a few things. There is quite a bit of latin-flavored tracks on this cd, which suits my own tastes quite nicely. I also feel that quite a few of the songs are post-1970s, which is a weak area for me. My collection primarily falls between 1957-1970, with a few exceptions of course. I don't ignore all contemporary jazz; but I do favor 60s stuff.

Third, I was able to recognize many of the songs, but couldn't really identify any of the artists. I am not very good at remembering the names of tunes, but I can recognize the songs nevertheless.

Fourth, the fellow who sent me the cd, Jacknife, made the point which perfectly describes my own situation: if someone were to make a blindfold tape of stuff from my own collection, I probably wouldn't be able to identify half of it!! :P I haven't fully listened to my own collection. How many others fall into this category, I wonder? :g

OK, here we go:

1. :tup Great tune!! That's some swinging piano and no lazy bass! Don't know who the pianist is but he swings like Gene Harris and has the technique of Ahmad Jamal.

Of course I know the tune but cannot place the name of it. I've got it somewhere but by a different artist. Really like this.

2. :tup Another good tune. Is this Milt Jackson and Modern Jazz Quartet?

3. I need to listen to this one more in order to "appreciate" it. Unfortunately, I only got the cd tonight and I want to comment immediately. No idea who this is, but I won't spend any money over it. ^_^

4. :tup I've heard this one before, I think. I may even have it. Is it Charlie Byrd or Charles Hall? Nice track.

5. :tup Another nice one. Don't know any of the players or the song. Damn Jim, you've got good tastes!

6. :tup Jobim tune? or Getz/Gilberto. I can never remember tune names. Of course, I have it in my collection played by someone else; is it Stan Getz? I don't know the players here (as usual.) Is this "O Morro Nao Tem Vez?" (damn, can't write Portugese :eye: )

7. :tup Don't know the artist. Gotta be Jim Hall.

8. :tup Another song I recognize but can't place. Is this Stan Getz? Damn, Jim you've got great tastes!! :rsmile: You trying to impress chicks or something with all these beautiful selections? :g

9. Don't know this one. Need to listen more. Is that Pepper Adams on baritone or Mulligan?

10. :tup More Latin flavor. Django? No idea really. Tune sounds familiar; I've heard this somewhere.

11. :tup Man this is beautiful stuff. Gotta stay away from your collection: it would just create a looooonng want list. :rsmile: Don't know the pianist.

12. :tup Latin booty-shakin percussion! Don't know the artist or song, but like it (of course!)

13. Monk Tune. Forgot the name of it, of course, and I don't have the time to play through my Monk collection in order to identify it. Don't know the artist. This one is so-so.

14. Don't know too much about jazz vocalists.

15. :tup Another nice tune. Don't know whose on soprano. Does this track get cut off at the end?

16. :tup Don't know the pianist. Plays a bit like Oscar Peterson.

Can't wait to see what others said and finally the answers. Again, this is a great compilation, Jim. Wowzers!

Just read through everyone else's comments. Wow. Never heard Vince Guaraldi before though I've heard the name.

#7 Has to be Jim Hall; it's his style.

Am I the only one who knows the name of #6? "O Morro Nao Tem Vez?" I don't think I'm wrong as it sure sounds like it. Stan Getz version of this tune is my favorite from his bossa nova years. Beautiful tune.

No one else has suggested Oscar Peterson as being responsible for #16. I must be way off.

This was fun. I'm still playing the cd in my car and will continue to do so for weeks.

here's my answers, opinions & guesses

Track 1. At the start I was afraid I had to guess bass players with this test. Then, in spite of my weakness in recognising pianists, I believe I was able to nail this one as Vince Guaraldi. I only have his Charlie Brown album and that thing he did with Getz and Tjader. Great player, very smooth, very laid-back, very melodic. Sticks close to the melody and that's also nice for a change. I play his Charlie Brown album a lot on early Sunday mornings. My wife likes it.

Track 2. Now that I got my hopes up of being able to recognise pianists (having written off bassists for the time being....), a vibist turns up! I haven't got a clue really, as all the usual suspects seem not to fit entirely. It seems too hard to be Bags and too smooth to be Hamp. Nice stuff though. The vibes have a cool ring to them and the playing is nicely relaxed overall. My bad skills in recognising pianists show up again. I like the bluesy tinge in the piano solo, though the comping doesn't strike me as anything extraordinary (which is okay)

Track 3. The first time I heard this trumpeter with a mute I was stumped with the beauty. I had already established an aversion to Miles and his eternal mute, but this was something else. Skipping through the CD I knew I would find this on revealed the title of the tune rhymes with Wess (though he's not on tenor).

Track 4. Very nice tune. I don't know what it is nor who's playing. May be any of those cool guitar guys like Rainey or Hall or Pass or whoever. Very nice sunshine stuff, makes me wanna go for another beer at the bar on the beach.

Track 5. I like how the velvet-y tone of the tenor contrasts with the steam-train, tumbleweed phrasing. Reminds me of Benny Golson. I will have to check some of his stuff from my collection. Update: sounds like Golson all right, but may still also be somebody else.

Arco bass solo: Mr PC? I Kind of mainstream, yet very nice tune; not bad, not extraordinary.

Track 6. Nice. The interplay with the bass is way cool. I like that part. All in all very nice (went up from just nice). What was all that stuff he was quoting? No idea who these people are BTW.

Track 7. see track 4, especially the "very nice" and the "I don't know" parts and without the "sunshine" part. Captivating playing, particularly also by the pianist. I'm very curious to know who these players are. The only thing I know that comes close to this is this one Rainey album I have and that weird Polish release with Gourley on it.

Track 8. Getz with the Signor Rossi Vocal Choir? I needed to clear my mind for a fresh listen after I went through the guitar/sax part unprepared for such seriousness. Conclusion after listening to that part again: Wow! Is it Getz?

Track 9. Intruiging alto. Intruiging 'cause I have the distinct idea I know him and 'cause I haven't got a nametag yet. The tenor that takes over without further notice is cool. And here I go again: I cannot nail this tenor although he seems to have all the qualities (TONE in particular) that should enable me to do so. Probably I have tons of stuff with this guy on it. Oh well... I AM enjoying it! The baritone has me stumped again. Not Adams, Payne maybe?

Track 10. Somebody please reveal the tune! I couldn't concentrate on the playing while trying to think of the tune at the same time.

Track 11. I liked it quite a lot. It was very relaxed. Maybe not something I would go out of my way to acquire but definitely the stuff I would want my friends to play when I visit them. (No idea on who and what though...)

Track 12. Took me a while, but this is elementary my dear Watson: Harry Eddis :g I only have his VeeJay material but his tone is so distinctive. Nicenicenice. Reminds me I still haven't got around to acquire more of his stuff. They tell me the one with the bridge on the cover rocks.

Track 13. By now everyone will have guessed my poor guitar player recognition ability. Very sorry about that. Me likee again, though this one seems to be more on auto-pilot/less inspired than the previous guitar cuts. Cool thing to play a Monk tune. ?I mean you? isn?t it?

Track 14. Sounds like a latter day Sarah Vaughan. Probably the guitarist is a famous one as well :g Leaves a bit of a "tired" impression all in all,

Track 15. The overall sound of this one is very familiar, as if I have this in my collection. I am certain I don't, however. The soprano sounds very nice. It must be someone who usually plays another sax though, probably tenor. Why you ask? Dunno. I liked this, it was very direct. The guy isn't playing in time right? Somehow pushing or dragging it.

Track 16. "It's the good life," I've been (trying to) sing(ing) this at work today. This is the way I like it: I can recognise the tune and really appreciate what they are doing with it.

Great closer to a great disk! Thanks a whole bunch Jim (and Tom)! Overall the tunes struck me as having rather strong melodies or at least something to whistle to (or sing at work...) and as being rather laid back in a very positive sense. Sunday morning stuff. I'll try it next weekend and see how my wife reacts to it.

:)