The Night Pastor

jimi089

I was recently given a large stack of random LPs, some of them with some local Chicago significance.

Two of the most interesting/odd ones are attributed to a band called The Night Pastor and Seven Friends, one of them entitled Plays Chicago Jazz, and the other entitled Music to Lure Pigeons By :lol:

These are apparently their first and second albums, and they do feature some musicians I recognize: Eddie Higgins on piano, Chuck Hedges on clarinet on one album, Dave Remington (who appears to be the musical leader, cultivated by the night pastor Father Robert Owen), and Jerry Fuller.

I haven't turned up any information online on either album. If anyone has any information I'd be interested to know. If any Chicago jazz-o-philes have any curiosity to own these gems, make me an offer ;)

The Night Pastor and Seven Friends Play Chicago Jazz - Featuring Dave Remington (trombone), Johnny Porazzo (guitar and banjo), Norman Murphy (trumpet), Joe Levinson (bass), Andy Johnson (piano), Jerry Fuller (clarinet and tenor) and bob Cousins (drums). Claremont Record Company, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

The Night Pastor and Seven Friends - Music to Lure Pigeons By - Joe Levinson (bass), Bob Cousins (drums), Johnny Porazzo (guitar), Ed Higgins (piano), Dick Ruedebusch (trumpet), Dave Remington (trombone and piano), Father Robert Owen (piano), Chuck Hedges (clarinet), Jack Brand (drums on Tenderly). Claremont Record Company, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

LPpigeon.JPG

Edited by The Danimal

My print version of Bruyninckx lists the second album under "The Night Pastor & Seven Friends." The personnel matches what you list from the record (except Bruyninckx does not mention the presence of Jack Brand. Bruyninckx lists a recording date of October 19, 1967 in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The tunes:

I was recently given a large stack of random LPs, some of them with some local Chicago significance.

Two of the most interesting/odd ones are attributed to a band called The Night Pastor and Seven Friends, one of them entitled Plays Chicago Jazz, and the other entitled Music to Lure Pigeons By :lol:

These are apparently their first and second albums, and they do feature some musicians I recognize: Eddie Higgins on piano, Chuck Hedges on clarinet on one album, Dave Remington (who appears to be the musical leader, cultivated by the night pastor Father Robert Owen), and Jerry Fuller.

I haven't turned up any information online on either album. If anyone has any information I'd be interested to know. If any Chicago jazz-o-philes have any curiosity to own these gems, make me an offer ;)

The Night Pastor and Seven Friends Play Chicago Jazz - Featuring Dave Remington (trombone), Johnny Porazzo (guitar and banjo), Norman Murphy (trumpet), Joe Levinson (bass), Andy Johnson (piano), Jerry Fuller (clarinet and tenor) and bob Cousins (drums). Claremont Record Company, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

The Night Pastor and Seven Friends - Music to Lure Pigeons By - Joe Levinson (bass), Bob Cousins (drums), Johnny Porazzo (guitar), Ed Higgins (piano), Dick Ruedebusch (trumpet), Dave Remington (trombone and piano), Father Robert Owen (piano), Chuck Hedges (clarinet), Jack Brand (drums on Tenderly). Claremont Record Company, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

LPpigeon.JPG

My print version of Bruyninckx lists the second album under "The Night Pastor & Seven Friends." The personnel matches what you list from the record (except Bruyninckx does not mention the presence of Jack Brand. Bruyninckx lists a recording date of October 19, 1967 in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The tunes:

- The Pearls

- Darktown Strutters Ball

- Tenderly

- Night Pastor Blues

- Squeeze Me

- I Can't Get Started

- Bourbon Street Parade

- Fidgety Feet

- Indiana

- Just a Closer Walk With Thee

There are notations that Father Robert Owen appears only on the first two tunes.

There's also a note that this is a Dick Ruedebush group.

Reference to Dick Ruedebush directs you to Dick Reudebusch (note two differences in spelling) where the same session appears (same date, same location, minus two tunes: The Pearls and Darktown Strutters Ball). This time a label and issue number are provided (Claremont CLP672) with the same personnel, except there's no reference to Father Robert Owen, there's a note that Dave Remington switches to piano on Tenderly (replacing Higgins), and there's a note that Jack Brand replaces Cousins on the same tune.

Bruyninckx does not seem to list the other session. So, does anyone happen to know if there are two different issues of the 7 Friends session (i.e., one with and one without the pastor) or if this is just another example of sloppiness?

LPpigeon.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Danimal: FYI: The Night Pastor was my father, Father Robert Owen. He was an Episcopal priest who started an outreach program in Chicago. He had an office on Rush St that was open at night so he was available to 'those who work at night' He was a dixieland jazz aficionado and piano player who was thrilled to be living in Chicago in the '60's. The records were made as fund raisers for the program. As I remember Dave Remington was primarily responsible for organizing the recordings. So it wasn't a band as such. My father died in 1970.

Karyn