Kenny Barron

B. Goren.

I've recently spent many hours listening to Kenny Barron's recordings in all different formats: Trio, quartet & quintet. The man is a killer pianist. His two CD's recorded live at Bradley's are among the best trio recordings in my collection.

B000068QUL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg513Z6G1ED5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

What are your favorite Kenny's recordings???

BTW: his new release is not bad but definitely not his best.

0600753075302.jpg

Kenny Barron is one of my favorite jazz pianists. I agree that the two sessions from Bradley's are among his very best recordings. He has made so many very good records that it is hard to just pick one or two other favorites. But here are some trio sessions by Kenny that I would easily recommend.

Lemuria-Seascape - Candid

Green Chimneys - Criss Cross

The Moment - Reservoir

The Only One - Reservoir

The Moment - Reservoir

An excellent trio date with Barron and Ben Riley is Red Mitchell's "Talking" on Capri - audiophile sound, too.

I love this cd, Kenny is just so lyrical, another fav is the duo recording with Charlie Haden

"Night in the city"

• 3 years later...

Some favorites from the 1980's:

- "Scratch," from 1985, with Dave Holland and Daniel Humair.

- "What If?" from 1986, with Wallace Roney, John Stubblefield, Cecil McBee and Victor Lewis.

- "Live at Fat Tuesday's," from 1988. Same line-up as above but with Eddie Henderson replacing Roney.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy many of Barron's recordings as a leader but this is "the one" for me:

superd_1176973.jpg

Hutcherson is very "on form" and his duet with Barron on "For Heaven's Sake" is one of my favorite jazz ballad performances of all time.

In terms of sideman gigs...well, just too many great ones to recount them all. I do trumpet the virtues of this recording whenever I can though, since it seems hardly anyone has ever heard of it and it's so damn good, including Kenny's contributions:'

7292244.jpg

Edited by DrJ

I have numerous favorite albums by Kenny Barron but the one I return most often to is the 'People Time' box with Stan Getz!

412%2BA04AcWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't have this music in this release or the 2CD edition. Is your interest sustained over the whole set or is the 2CD set a reasonable "best of" ?

I have numerous favorite albums by Kenny Barron but the one I return most often to is the 'People Time' box with Stan Getz!

I don't have this music in this release or the 2CD edition. Is your interest sustained over the whole set or is the 2CD set a reasonable "best of" ?

My opinion is to get the box set. It is consistently interesting. With the box you get complete sets which honestly gives you a somewhat different and better (IMO) view of how the whole gig unfolded. The 2 CD is certainly fine, but once you've heard the box, you'll hear the music quite differently and you won't want to go back. And you could always make your own "Best of" set from the box.

My opinion is to get the box set. It is consistently interesting. With the box you get complete sets which honestly gives you a somewhat different and better (IMO) view of how the whole gig unfolded. The 2 CD is certainly fine, but once you've heard the box, you'll hear the music quite differently and you won't want to go back. And you could always make your own "Best of" set from the box.

John, I could not phrase any better :tup

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
4 hours ago, joshuakennedy said:

I stumbled upon this while sifting through the jazz CDs at the local library yesterday. It just came out this year. Anybody heard it yet? Barron is one of those guys whose name I've heard a lot and I've probably listened to once in a great while, but never really been too familiar with. This album is great, though. 

kenny-barron-book-of-intuition.jpg

Yes - it is.

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan too and would easily list many that have already been memtioned so for the sake of brevity I'll give you two not mentioned yet and a newish one.

Wanton Spirit with Roy Haynes and Charlie Haden

New York Attitude with Rufus Reid and Frederick Waits

The Art Of Conversation with Dave Holland is my favorite of his more recent releases.

So many to choose from imho.