Upcoming Mosaic sets, August - November 2008

From the Mosaic site:

MOSAIC LIMITED EDITION BOXED SETS:

The Complete Clef/Mercury Recordings of the Oscar Peterson Trio (1951-1953) (7 CDs)

(Release Date - Aug./Sept.)

This collection captures this remarkable pianist during his early years on Norman Granz' Clef label. Granz' aim for these sessions was to showcase the Peterson touch in a series of songbook albums which included interpretations of Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Jerome Kern, Richard Rodgers and Vincent Youmans. Peterson and his trio (mostly backed by Barney Kessel's guitar and Ray Brown's bass), execute these classics superlatively and have long been out of print.

Not only are the complete songbooks from those early years present but a number of other highlights include: rare singles only issued on 78 and 45; 8 previously unissued performances of which only 2 are alternate takes; the "Oscar Peterson Sings" album; the "Oscar Peterson Plays Pretty" album where Irving Ashby substitutes for Kessel; and an OP Quartet date with Alvin Stoller on drums that includes a swinging "The Astaire Blues" and "Tea For Two". Most of the set came from the original master tapes and rare photos from the Institute of Jazz Studies decorate the insights of jazz historian John McDonough's wonderful notes.

The Complete Arista Recordings Of Anthony Braxton (8 CDs)

(Release Date - October)

Anthony Braxton is the sort of artist who triggers those heated "Is it jazz?"debates; whatever his music is, it is brilliant. By the time he signed with Arista Records in 1974 at the age of 29, he had emerged as one of the major figures in Chicago's AACM, formed Circle with Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Barry Altchul and lived the expatriate life in Paris and moved freely in jazz and contemporary classical circles.

What made his output at Arista (1974-80) so unique was the range of projects he was able to realize thanks to the supportive budgets of a major label. This 8-CD set rescues his entire 14-LP Arista output from forgotten vaults. From live and studio recordings with his quartet (with Kenny Wheeler or George Lewis, Dave Holland and Barry Altschul) to solo alto excursions to a duet with Muhal Richard Abrams to Creative Orchestra Music to trios with Roscoe Mitchell/Joseph Jarman and Henry Threadgill/Douglas Ewert to his thoroughly composed pieces for two pianos and for four orchestras, Braxton explored every aspect of modern music through his own creative vision with astonishing results.

Classic Columbia Benny Goodman Orchestra Sessions (1939-1958) (7 CDs)

(Release Date - November)

Seven discs from a neglected period of Benny's big band career which focuses mainly on his instrumental recordings for Columbia records during the 1940s. Also included are the bands he gathered at the Columbia studios during the 1950s which recreated some of the great Fletcher Henderson arrangements of the 1930s in addition to the lush and creative Benny with strings album titled "Let's Hear The Melody". Of particular importance are the breathtaking arrangements of the far-thinking Eddie Sauter. Over twenty previously unissued alternate takes are much welcome additions as Goodman was a master of solo creativity and spontaneity. He was the King of Swing and everyone wanted to be in his band as proven by the soloists and sidemen who pepper this set.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOSAIC SELECT:

Toshiko Akiyoshi -Lew Tabackin Big Band (3 CDs)

(Release Date - October)

With the formation of their 16-piece orchestra in 1973, Toshiko's image shifted from being a great bop-inspired pianist to being a composer-arranger of great invention. Her scores are varied and rich in tonal colors, often drawing on traditional Japanese music as well as jazz. The band, loaded with the cream of the LA scene and led by Lew, swings the hell out of her inventive, intricate arrangements. Their five studio albums (1974-77) form the great initial opus by this distinctive orchestra; they are Kogun, Long Yellow Road, Tales Of A Courtesan, Insights and March Of The Tadpoles.

Edited by J.A.W.

Finally, a resistable batch! I've got virtually all of the Braxton and all of the Akiyoshi/Tabackin on LP, plenty of Goodman and Peterson to last a lifetime.

I have the Braxton on LP too, but I've been waiting for years for it on CD! :party:

The Goodman is what I'm salivating for. It goes through 1958. Does that mean the two Brussels albums will be part of this set? And it "focuses mainly on his instrumental recordings for Columbia records during the 1940s." I take that to mean no vocals at all which is what we've discussed on other threads, but it does seem a little more ambiguous than that!

Greg Mo

About how much of the Braxton set would be quartet recordings, does anyone know? Those are what I am most excited about. Very few things in jazz as exciting as Holland and Altschul in the early 1970s.

From the press release:

"This 8-CD set rescues his entire 14-LP Arista output from forgotten vaults."

They heard Clem and kept in For Four Orchestras!

I'm not getting to 14. Anybody help out?

Anthony Braxton New York, Fall 1974 1974 Arista

Anthony Braxton Five Pieces 1975 1975 Arista

Anthony Braxton The Montreux/Berlin Concerts - session 1 1975-76 Arista; RCA Bluebird

Anthony Braxton Creative Orchestra Music 1976 1976 Arista; RCA Bluebird

Anthony Braxton / Muhal Richard Abrams Duets 1976 1976 Arista

Anthony Braxton The Montreux/Berlin Concerts - session 2 1975-76 Arista; RCA Bluebird

Anthony Braxton For Trio 1977 Arista

Anthony Braxton For Four Orchestras [Composition 82] 1978 Arista

Anthony Braxton Alto Saxophone Improvisations 1979 1978-79 Arista

Anthony Braxton For Two Pianos [Composition 95] 1980 Arista

I'm not getting to 14. Anybody help out?

Anthony Braxton The Montreux/Berlin Concerts - session 1 1975-76 Arista; RCA Bluebird

Anthony Braxton The Montreux/Berlin Concerts - session 2 1975-76 Arista; RCA Bluebird

14 LPs = all of the above (Montreux/Berlin & Alto Sax Improv are 2-LP each; 4 Orch is 3-LP) + Braxton/Teitelbaum, Time Zones?

Edited by jasonguthartz

Just count and you'll see it's 14.

1 New York, Fall 1974

2 Five Pieces 1975

3, 4 The Montreux/Berlin Concerts

5 Creative Orchestra Music 1976

6 Duets w/Abrams

7 For Trio

8, 9, 10 For Four Orchestras

11, 12 Alto Saxophone Improvisations 1979

13 For Two Pianos

14 ??

Although they do not have the paperwork on this set yet, I've confirmed with someone at Mosaic that the missing album is definitely NOT "Time Zones" with Teitelbaum.

Why is the Berlin set listed twice? Maybe one is a 2 LP set and the other a single LP? Then we would have 14.

Why is the Berlin set listed twice? Maybe one is a 2 LP set and the other a single LP? Then we would have 14.

Montreux/Berlin was a single 2-LP set.

I suspect Randy, who posted that list originally, made use of my discography, in which I break up the tracks into two "sessions" (three tracks from July 1975 & four tracks from two dates in November 1976).

Question: I only have info for one LP release of Time Zones: Arista AL 1037. Anyone know if this was ever released on vinyl on the actual Freedom label (as was The Complete Braxton 1971), or was it only released on vinyl via Arista's licensing arrangement?

Question: I only have info for one LP release of Time Zones: Arista AL 1037. Anyone know if this was ever released on vinyl on the actual Freedom label (as was The Complete Braxton 1971), or was it only released on vinyl via Arista's licensing arrangement?

Bruyninckx says Arista AL1037 = Freedom/Intercord (G)147304 = Freedom (Jap)PA-6079