Mosaic sale: 15% off selected sets until July 31

I just got this e-mail from Mosaic:

Well we've got to clear some room. Over the next several months we have not one but three new Mosaic Collections that will be arriving in our warehouse - as well as a Mosaic Select. (upcoming Mosaic sets)

And to make space for Mr. Peterson, Mr. Braxton and Mr. Goodman, we are offering a number of Mosaic sets on sale at 15% off until the end of July.

Here's an explanation of how our inventory system operates and why these particular sets are on sale:

When we lease the rights for a Limited Edition set, we order 500- 1000 units at a time until the edition is complete or the lease has expired. So at any given time for a box set we may be in position where we need to reorder or have recently taken delivery of an order. The following sets are ones that we have recently reordered, are filling up our warehouse and will provide a lifetime of enrichment for Jazz lovers around the world.

#210 The Complete Capitol Bobby Hackett Solo Sessions

"What was special about Bobby Hackett? In a world of hit-you-over-the-head, high-note, high-speed, supersonic, loud trumpeters, Bobby Hackett caressed your ears with understated astonishingly beautiful melodies." - Joe H. Klee, The Mississippi Rag

#211 The Complete OKeh/Brunswick Bix, Trumbauer & Teagarden

Some of the most important jazz recordings of the last century. This collection centers on three giants and how their careers intersected during a decade of classic American jazz.

#212 Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Qt./Sxt. Sessions

Strong, bluesy and soulful. The six Blue Note dates collected on our Mosaic set are in a class by themselves; they are pure hard bop with Stanley Turrentine sharing the front line with a horn equal to him in talent.

#215 The Complete Blue Note Lou Donaldson Sessions

"Hear Donaldson in such an orgiastic feast as this, and he becomes something of a monster player - gorgeous sound, capable of playing in all manners of contexts and always dripping with such blues-based earthiness..." - Jeff Simon, Buffalo News

#218 The Complete Roulette Jack Teagarden Sessions

"The immaculate execution of either free ensembles or written arrangements, the emphasis on cleanness, the balance of hot and pretty - this group could well have written the contemporary Dixieland book." - Jim Leigh, The Mississippi Rag

#224 The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions

"The music Tal Farlow recorded for Norman Granz in the five-year period between 1954 and 1959 is a remarkable legacy to be treasured, studied and enjoyed on many levels, for years to come." - Alun Morgan, Jazz Journal Int'l.

#225 The Complete Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson/Jazztet Sessions

Now, for the first time anywhere, all of the Jazztet's material for Argo and Mercury - including everything each man chaired alone through that period - has been compiled in one set that documents the brilliant but brief life of this extraordinary group.

#227 The Complete Roulette Dinah Washington Recordings

If your goal is to broaden your collection of the truly distinctive voices in music, you have got to own this collection. This music, from the final stage of Dinah Washington's short and turbulent life, is a perfect snapshot of all she was in performance.

#229 Complete Count Basie Verve Fifties Studio Recordings

When Count Basie reformed his big band in the 1950s, he managed to become entirely new by sticking with what had made him great from the start. And in the process, Basie achieved some of the most extraordinary success of his career.

#232 Classic Emarcy, Verve Small Group Buddy Rich Sessions

This limited edition collection is a complete look at Rich when he was, without question, a top star. The seven-CDs features studio dates and live performances from 1953 to 1961.

#233 The Oliver Nelson Verve/Impulse Big Band Sessions

"Oliver Nelson was perhaps the greatest jazz orchestrator and composer of the postwar era. This set which contains 15 albums and 100 tracks is a testament to Nelson's frenetic activity and to the quality of his music" - Will Friedwald, The New York Sun

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the fence on the Donaldson. I have the vast majority of the sessions. I think I am missing two. I'll probably continue to pass.

I have a bunch of the others - Tal Farlow, Turrentine, Jazztet and Oliver Nelson. Not a dud in the bunch. What I will probably do is get the Basie 50s Sessions and push the Chu Berry down on my list, since it should be around for a long while yet.

I'm on the fence on the Donaldson. I have the vast majority of the sessions. I think I am missing two. I'll probably continue to pass.

I have a bunch of the others - Tal Farlow, Turrentine, Jazztet and Oliver Nelson. Not a dud in the bunch. What I will probably do is get the Basie 50s Sessions and push the Chu Berry down on my list, since it should be around for a long while yet.

I bought the Donaldson but wasn't sure it would be that great. I was dead wrong. It really is a great box, mostly because of Ray Barretto's congas, believe it or not. They just make those sessions *jump*.

It's rare one can get Mosaics on sale (and I find myself wishing I *didn't* have some of the sets so I could order them for less!). There are some great sets on this list, but the Donaldson is a gem. So are the Teagarden, Basie, and Jazztet boxes. Well, they *all* are, but I like those the best!

Greg Mo

btw, J.A.W., you forgot the first one that's part of the offer:

"What was special about Bobby Hackett? In a world of hit-you-over-the-head, high-note, high-speed, supersonic, loud trumpeters, Bobby Hackett caressed your ears with understated astonishingly beautiful melodies." - Joe H. Klee, The Mississippi Rag

btw, J.A.W., you forgot the first one that's part of the offer:

You're right - edited :)

just sent in an order for Bix/Tram/Tea - it's now under 100 bucks, so the 6$ (wasn't that 12?) surface shipping option is available... won't get that one any cheaper, I assume... not that I can really afford it right now, but... :)

I'm afraid you're right .... oh my aching credit line ....

15% off the Turrentine, Donaldson, and Rich..... I don't know if I can restrain myself this time! Seriously!

Listened to Gravy Train and that's pretty much confirmed that I can live without the Donaldson. Gravy Train is ultra lame.

Well, I listened to the tracks at the Mosaic site, and I'm inclined to agree with you. I would like to get my hands on the sessions with Horace Parlan (already have "Sunny Side Up"), but not willing to pay THAT much to get three albums.

Also listened to the Hackett. I think my wallet is safe from that one as well.

Is the Jazztet Mosaic the only way to get either of the two sessions with Grachan Moncur on CD??

The AMG suggests neither of those dates have been reissued on CD (but I also don't fully trust the AMG). From the Mosaic website and discography of the set...

(H) THE JAZZTET - HERE AND NOW: Art Farmer (tp,flh), Grachan Moncur III (tb), Benny Golson (ts), Harold Mabern (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Roy McCurdy (d).

Nola Penthouse Studios, NYC, February 28, 1962

I) THE JAZZTET – ANOTHER GIT TOGETHER: Art Farmer (tp,flh), Grachan Moncur III (tb), Benny Golson (ts), Harold Mabern (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Roy McCurdy (d).

Nola Penthouse Studios, NYC, May 28, 1962

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Is the Jazztet Mosaic the only way to get either of the two sessions with Grachan Moncur on CD??

The AMG suggests neither of those dates have been reissued on CD (but I also don't fully trust the AMG). From the Mosaic website and discography of the set...

(H) THE JAZZTET - HERE AND NOW: Art Farmer (tp,flh), Grachan Moncur III (tb), Benny Golson (ts), Harold Mabern (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Roy McCurdy (d).

Nola Penthouse Studios, NYC, February 28, 1962

I) THE JAZZTET – ANOTHER GIT TOGETHER: Art Farmer (tp,flh), Grachan Moncur III (tb), Benny Golson (ts), Harold Mabern (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Roy McCurdy (d).

Nola Penthouse Studios, NYC, May 28, 1962

Rooster - I have "Here And Now" on CD, on a Verve "Elite Edition" from 1997.