Ralph Moore.... Whatever happened to him?

jazzydaddy

To my ears he has one of the most appealing sounds on the tenor sax and I really enjoy his improvisations as well. I believe I have all of his own albums and many of his appearances under others direction (e.g. Horace Silver, Ray Brown, Brian Lynch, Freddie, JJ., etc.). After the early 1990's he is virtually nowhere to be seen on record. I know he was with the Tonight Show Band for a while.

Anyone seen or heard of him recently? I understand he still resides on the West Coast.

Thank you,

Don

To my ears he has one of the most appealing sounds on the tenor sax and I really enjoy his improvisations as well. I believe I have all of his own albums and many of his appearances under others direction (e.g. Horace Silver, Ray Brown, Brian Lynch, Freddie, JJ., etc.). After the early 1990's he is virtually nowhere to be seen on record. I know he was with the Tonight Show Band for a while.

Anyone seen or heard of him recently? I understand he still resides on the West Coast.

Thank you,

Don

I do believe he is still with the Tonight Show Band.

I read where he played a benefit concert in Feb. 08 and he was listed as a current member.

Hmmm........... Thanks for the tip Ron. I dont' have that one. Nice review on the AMG. I will have to keep an eye out for that one but I have a feeling it won't be easy to come by. Unfortunately it's unavailable from Amazon and listed as out of stock on the JoKen website as well.

Hopefully the reason for Ralph's absence of late on record is due to his busy schedule with the Tonight Show band.

- Don

The past couple of days I have been listening to the Ben Riley 1993 recording, Weaver Of Dreams, with Moore and Buster Williams. Good stuff.

If you consider what is fashionable as jazz tenor sax in recent years, and how consistently excellent but unspectacular musicians like him are treated by most of the music industry, he might feel lucky he has that job. I saw him live with Cedar Walton and have quite a few CDs he plays on - all you can ask for. But ...

Yeah, Ralph Moore! Good player!

Didn't know about his Tonight Show gig (Leno's not my cup of scotch), but in the old Severinson Tonight band many guys did a lot of local LA gigs (they finish taping the TV show by 8PM), and did some touring when the show was on vacation. Does Ralph (and the others) do that? Any LA people know of any gigs?

• 2 years later...

Funny to come across this thread since I was thinking of the same thing while sitting here listening to his album "Round Trip". He also plays on a number of other sessions as a sideman on the Reservoir label of which I own. Fine player. Would love to hear him recording once again.

I saw him live with Cedar Walton

I'm pretty sure I saw him with Walton too - although the last performance I saw of him was with JJ Johnson I think. I have the feeling I saw him guesting with Hank Jones in LA back in 1999 too - he was very active around then. Hopefully his profile will return to more prominence.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 19.9.2017 at 4:25 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

oh yea i also saw him with Cedar Walton, Tony Dumas, & Billy Higgins

went to multiple nights, this was the finest i ever saw BH play- he was doing all his classic licks, it really went there

I saw that very same band, too, and they were all great.