Jazz in TOKYO

philtenb

I can see me having to destroy some credit cards before setting foot in this place.. :unsure:

I realise you're being ironic but don't bother with credit cards, Tokyo operates strictly on cash, and nothing but cash.

Two things you can forget about in Tokyo, credit cards and Wi Fi hot spots.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've never used anything *but* credit (or debit) cards @ disk union... and as with most japanese retailers they'll ask you if you'd like the total broken into more than one installment.

That's very curious. 'Most Japanese retailers' ? That totally clashes with my day to day experience. Credit cards are almost exclusively used for on line shopping- only. If that is what you mean then fair enough. Not a single shop, restaurant, cinema, clinic. hospital or dentist that I know accept credit cards. Perhaps Disk Union have changed their policy but it is something I was unaware of. The point I wanted to make was that a visitor, like Sidewinder, who is used to being able to use credit cards for even small purchases at almost any shop, as is the case in UK, would be surprised and greatly inconvenienced at their widespread nonuse here.

IMHO, he'd be far better off with a bag full of cash.

we obviously travel in different worlds. time was most businesses didn't accept cards. however, those days are long gone and more than not, do, in my experience. certainly most major music stores, such as disk union, hmv, recofan, tower, and so on do (as well as restaurants, can't say about clinics, hospitals, or dentists....). all 7-11, family marts, and lawson convenience stores do. in 2010 i made something of an observation to see how long i could go without having to use cash.

funny you mention cinemas. I was at toho cinema in shbuya in november (2013) and found myself without cash. not only do they accept cards, but they allow you to purchase your tickets from an automated kiosk without so much as interfacing with a human.

however, your point isn't lost at all. many business do not accept anything but cash and the advice to visitors is always to carry cash. certainly wasn't that way when i lived there but my how it's changed over the years. even my 'home kissa' in sengenjaya accepts kurejitto kado... (I knew the old guard had passed when that happened)

we obviously travel in different worlds. time was most businesses didn't accept cards. however, those days are long gone and more than not, do, in my experience. certainly most major music stores, such as disk union, hmv, recofan, tower, and so on do (as well as restaurants, can't say about clinics, hospitals, or dentists....). all 7-11, family marts, and lawson convenience stores do. in 2010 i made something of an observation to see how long i could go without having to use cash.

funny you mention cinemas. I was at toho cinema in shbuya in november (2013) and found myself without cash. not only do they accept cards, but they allow you to purchase your tickets from an automated kiosk without so much as interfacing with a human.

however, your point isn't lost at all. many business do not accept anything but cash and the advice to visitors is always to carry cash. certainly wasn't that way when i lived there but my how it's changed over the years. even my 'home kissa' in sengenjaya accepts kurejitto kado... (I knew the old guard had passed when that happened)

I stand corrected. Obviously I spend too much time locally.

So I will be OK to use a card at Disk Union stores then?

Sounds a bit like Germany in the old days - when credit cards weren't generally accepted. That has changed now though I think.

Edited by sidewinder

So I will be OK to use a card at Disk Union stores then?

Sounds a bit like Germany in the old days - when credit cards weren't generally accepted. That has changed now though I think.

Sidewinder, I've just rung Disk Union and they say that they accept credit cards. He said that the most commonly used ones are Visa & AmEX and they are definitely ok. If you're using a Grimsby Fisherman's Welfare Card there might be a problem.

Hope that puts the matter to rest. :)

• 3 months later...

PM sent to describe my thoughts and observations and the Harriott 'Movement'.

Fantastic selection of original Blue Note and Prestige pressings of all vintages and some vey good deals available on King and Toshiba reissues, not surprisingly. Also a sprinkling of Mosaics (JohnJ got the best deal on the Pacific Jazz Trios Select).

Edited by sidewinder

For anyone visiting I can guarantee that an outing to the Disk Union Shinjuku will be an experience and a half.

Be prepared for eyes to jump out of sockets.........and cards no problem.

:cool: three whole stories... Yeah - I have really only concentrated on Shinjuku but Shibuya and the other one were also great. Not too much to choose between the Shinjuku and Shibuya vinyl stores but the former has the edge I would say.

'Three whole stories' - that is true. LPs in Shinjuku on floor 3 and then next door the new CDs on the ground floor and then just above a couple of floors of second hand CDs. One floor with 'just' jazz piano. Unbelievable !

Edited by sidewinder

shibuya = relatively small store under ground

shinjuku = three stories of goodness (hope you made it to the brazil store, much less accessories up the street)

ochanomizu = jazz heaven, really

questions? guide = http://diskunion.net/st/shop/e_index.html

(see ya sunday...)

Edited by etherbored

PM sent to describe my thoughts and observations and the Harriott 'Movement'.

Fantastic selection of original Blue Note and Prestige pressings of all vintages and some vey good deals available on King and Toshiba reissues, not surprisingly. Also a sprinkling of Mosaics (JohnJ got the best deal on the Pacific Jazz Trios Select).

Indeed I did!

Less that $15 for the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select is definitely a good deal!

Really glad that you enjoyed the various Disk Union's as much as you did and had such a positive experience with their service.

Thanks John - really appreciate yours and kinuta's great help this week !

I 'hit' the Shibuya Disk Union underground LP den tonight. Not bad but not up to Shinjuku standard. Having said that I did come out with a Joe Harriott 'Jazz For Moderns' on Gearbox Records for £7, which I have the feeling has sold out in the UK. They obviously don't like Joe Harriott in Tokyo. Result !

Less that $15 for the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select is definitely a good deal!

Really glad that you enjoyed the various Disk Union's as much as you did and had such a positive experience with their service.

What a great deal ! Just awesome... Edited by sidewinder

Tell me, all of you ..

When you make such fantastic (and numerous) buys over in Japan, how do you get all the stuff home? No doubt packing it all in your luggage might make that luggage largely overweight (and expensive)? Do you send parcels home to your own address? Would that be worthwhile financially?

Assuming that you do not suddenly have somebody on hand who happens to move from Japan to Britain right now and still has space available for odd'n'ends in his 20-ft container, right? ;)

Without fear of contradiction, I can assure you that you will find an incredible selection of cds and vinyl available here that will far exceed your expectations.

I'd suggest bringing nothing more than a change of underwear, toothbrush and empty suitcase.

If you want to send things back by mail, it will cost as per this chart.

I hope this helps.

Shipping type:

Express Mail Service(EMS)

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

Edited by kinuta