The Secret Art of Speaker Positioning

Jazzjet

I've recently been feeling strangely disengaged when sitting down in front of the main hifi for a listening session. Even the music I knew well and loved wasn't grabbing me the way it used to. I noticed that my speakers were pointing at - roughly - 6 inches or so to either side of my head. I've got the recommended equilateral triangle between the speakers and the listening position about right but I then decided to seek advice online about the best angle for the speakers. The general consensus seemed to be that the optimum position was achieved by 'toeing in' the speakers so that an imaginary line drawn from them crossed over just in front of the listening position. The difference was amazing! The stereo image was clearer and the music felt more alive somehow. Difficult to believe that a small change like that made so much difference to the listening experience.

It seems to depend a lot on the speakers. The ones I have are best at a straight right angle to the wall but there are some which benefit as you say from a degree or so of 'toeing in'. Setting them up level on the stands also makes a difference in terms of soundstage/focus.