Glad to be alive

This past Sunday evening, after just happening to visit a friend in the hospital and heading home, a speeding taxi van ran a red light as I crossed an intersection and crashed head-on into the front of my car sending it full speed spinning and flying into a street pole. Luckily, everybody survived intact for the most part & I have some minor injuries on my right hand and knee along w/ soreness in a few parts while my mom's are a lot more serious. She is, at least, out of the trauma unit now and in observation. The other driver was knocked unconscious, but woke up later w/amnesia.

Like I said, I am lucky to be alive & had been at SF General Hospital all night and went home w/ no sleep at all. I was not able to finally sleep until late last night after feeling tense and anxious all day replaying the scene over and over again in my head. When I saw the pole coming straight ahead w/ the steering wheel having no control over the car, I thought it was my time. Part of the Prius actually separated and it is a total loss, but I'm not really concerned w/ that right now. I'm just glad to be here.

Edited by trane_fanatic

This past Sunday evening, after just happening to visit a friend in the hospital and heading home, a speeding taxi van ran a red light as I crossed an intersection and crashed head-on into the front of my car sending it full speed spinning and flying into a street pole. Luckily, everybody survived intact for the most part & I have some minor injuries on my right hand and knee along w/ soreness in a few parts while my mom's are a lot more serious. She is, at least, out of the trauma unit now and in observation. The other driver was knocked unconscious, but woke up later w/amnesia.

Like I said, I am lucky to be alive & had been at SF General Hospital all night and went home w/ no sleep at all. I was not able to finally sleep until late last night after feeling tense and anxious all day replaying the scene over and over again in my head. When I saw the pole coming straight ahead w/ the steering wheel having no control over the car, I thought it was my time. Part of the Prius actually separated and it is a total loss, but I'm not really concerned w/ that right now. I'm just glad to be here.

Jeez. Glad you're still with us! I've been in several car accidents (mostly as a passenger. Only once as a driver) and I know exactly how you feel. You keep thinking about it, about how completely unexpected it was. The one accident I've been in as a driver wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but it was serious enough to deploy the airbag and total the car. I still think about it every time I pass the spot where the accident occurred (and I'm much more careful about watching out for black ice).

I am glad you are ok and hope your mom gets better soon! What a frightening experience!

I had an accident years ago on the Washington DC beltway. The kind people who stopped to help me thought for sure I was a goner. An 18-wheeler struck my Toyota Starlet from behind and spun me around so that it was pushing me forward while I was facing it! I eventually spun over and dragged across 4 lanes of busy traffic to land in the median area. I got away with glass and gravel in my elbow and no other harm. I was very lucky to be alive! I have never been able to ride in a small car since.

I hope the insurance and the other driver do the right thing.