Yet another glad to be alive post

Last week I was enjoying a pleasant drive out in the country east of town. I was on a nice two lane FM road when I entered that last turn a bit too fast. Oh, I was on my motorcycle.

I had just shifted up and was in no position to pull off the turn. I ended up hitting a patch of gravel at around 50 mph. and down the bike went.

Ouch. Fortunately I'm relatively okay. But I had to be transported via an EMS truck to trauma care because my blood pressure was way low (68 over something or the other).

I ended up getting to go home, but I suffered a busted bone in my right hand, second degree road burns on my left arm, a nice strawberry on my chin and less severe abrasions on my right arm.

Despite the immobilized thumb, I was able to do a couple of gigs on saturday. I had to pay for the drugs somehow)

If I weren't a trombonist I'd be out of work for awhile. (okay, no joks about work and trombone players)

The bike (a beautiful 1978 Honda CB750) made it through with minimal damage.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

A friend of mine from high school, with whom I had kept up for years after graduation, had a terrible accident on the LA Freeway on her motorcycle about eight years ago. She was wearing a helmet, but it had no padding. For padding she had put a folded t-shirt inside. She was also driving a motorcycle that got stuck in high gears and it was impossible (she says) to stop. When she realized that she couldn't stop, she apparently tried to pull over to the side of the road in order to wipe out, but she was blind sided by a passing car. She was in a coma for several days after the accident. They had to remove some bits of her brain in order to keep the swelling down. When she came to, she was a completely different person. She was 30 when the accident happend, but she acted like she was 14. I remember a letter she sent shortly after her release from the hospital. Her syntax was all messed up. It was like nothing I've ever seen outside of Oliver Sachs.

I ran into her in a bookstore a couple of years ago. She didn't recognize me at first. Then she said, "Oh, yeah! You were a lot skinnier back in high school." Remember that she HAD seen me since high school, but she couldn't remember it. Her last memory of me was me at 17. Very sad.

Anyway, count your blessings. I will NEVER get on one of those things as long as I live.

I love motorcycles, and I've had a worse car accident than ever has been the case on two wheels for over a dozen years of riding.

Slide, glad to hear you came out of that well. Gravel. . .bites. Keep the shiny side up!

Same here, in 28 years I had much more car accidents then motorbike's ones. Maybe it depends on the fact that when I drive a bike I usually take much more care then with cars, also no music or cell phone or cigarette or drinks that distract my attention.

Anyway when I am on my bike I wear always protective stuff even if I am in the Sahara desert, I sweat like a fountain, but I never got serious injury.

Glad your bike is OK. ;)

My sister had a spill when she was still a teenager. The guy who was driving the bike hit a patch of sand and off they went down the side of a mountain. She had a couple of operations to fix up her leg, it was torn up on the side. She still can't feel a part of her lip.

Glad you're OK. You sound like an aware rider, but motorcycles are way more dangerous than cars, IMO. Not necessarily because of the rider, but because of all the knucklehead automobile drivers out there. In Florida, there is no law requiring helmets (something about freedom and personal choice or some crap like that, although how they square that with the laws requiring seat belts is beyond me). Every time I see some guy weaving through traffic with no helmet on, I think, good luck pal. Hope you have good long-term care insurance.

But ... good to hear another Organissimo member has dodged disaster.

Glad you're OK. You sound like an aware rider, but motorcycles are way more dangerous than cars, IMO. Not necessarily because of the rider, but because of all the knucklehead automobile drivers out there. In Florida, there is no law requiring helmets (something about freedom and personal choice or some crap like that, although how they square that with the laws requiring seat belts is beyond me). Every time I see some guy weaving through traffic with no helmet on, I think, good luck pal. Hope you have good long-term care insurance.

But ... good to hear another Organissimo member has dodged disaster.

When the helmet bacame compulsory in Italy the death toll of motorbikers falled down of 40% in one year. Also wearing jacket, trousers, boots and gloves with omologated CE protections lower risk of injuries. No way to avoid knucklehead automobile drivers, unfortunately.

Good thing you weren't on an AM road, they're even noisier.

<_<

Nickname is now Mr Gravelly.

When I called the wife from Baylor's trauma ward (where they later gave me morphine. :blink: ) and told her I'd be unable to pick her up at the airport later that evening as planned, her reply was "Great, now how are we going to pay for that??"

Such a softy my wife is.

A friend of mine from high school, with whom I had kept up for years after graduation, had a terrible accident on the LA Freeway on her motorcycle about eight years ago. She was wearing a helmet, but it had no padding. For padding she had put a folded t-shirt inside. She was also driving a motorcycle that got stuck in high gears and it was impossible (she says) to stop. When she realized that she couldn't stop, she apparently tried to pull over to the side of the road in order to wipe out, but she was blind sided by a passing car. She was in a coma for several days after the accident. They had to remove some bits of her brain in order to keep the swelling down. When she came to, she was a completely different person. She was 30 when the accident happend, but she acted like she was 14. I remember a letter she sent shortly after her release from the hospital. Her syntax was all messed up. It was like nothing I've ever seen outside of Oliver Sachs.

I ran into her in a bookstore a couple of years ago. She didn't recognize me at first. Then she said, "Oh, yeah! You were a lot skinnier back in high school." Remember that she HAD seen me since high school, but she couldn't remember it. Her last memory of me was me at 17. Very sad.

Anyway, count your blessings. I will NEVER get on one of those things as long as I live.

I as well will never get on a motorcycle that sticks in high gears. Not to be mean, but she was a bit of a moron to begin with...

I as well will never get on a motorcycle that sticks in high gears. Not to be mean, but she was a bit of a moron to begin with...

I'd hate to read what you'd say about her, if you meant to be mean! Between your comment and Lowe's....not the most compassionate folks I have seen.

When I called the wife from Baylor's trauma ward (where they later gave me morphine. :blink: ) and told her I'd be unable to pick her up at the airport later that evening as planned, her reply was "Great, now how are we going to pay for that??"

Sell your collection. It's all the rage these days!

I'd hate to read what you'd say about her, if you meant to be mean! Between your comment and Lowe's....not the most compassionate folks I have seen.

Sorry if it sounds that way, but you'd have to be a complete idiot to get on a motorcycle that you know is going to malfunction at speed. I just can't think of any way around that.

Hey the way I read that account of Alexander's. . . she was riding the motorcycle and it got stuck in high gears. . . it's not necessarily that she was riding one that always did that (it would be very hard to even start rolling along the road on a motorcycle stuck in the high gears! sounds as if the clutch went out).

Sorry if it sounds that way, but you'd have to be a complete idiot to get on a motorcycle that you know is going to malfunction at speed. I just can't think of any way around that.

It does seem like a strange choice to make... :blink:

Hey the way I read that account of Alexander's. . . she was riding the motorcycle and it got stuck in high gears. . . it's not necessarily that she was riding one that always did that (it would be very hard to even start rolling along the road on a motorcycle stuck in the high gears! sounds as if the clutch went out).

If that's the case, then I'm off base. I'd grant here a "somewhat silly" for the waste of a helmet, but cancel the moronic.

But not too many people start rolling along the road in high gears; I always started in first... :w

"Between your comment and Lowe's....not the most compassionate folks I have seen."

ahh, Berigan, if I only had your compassion for the poor and oppressed....

how's that Nobel Prize look up on the wall?

I imagine you spend every waking moment helping them, don't ya? :rolleyes:

The NP, as I like to call it, looks pretty sweet, thanks! Jimma ain't very good at cards. I also won Rosalynn.