ANYTHING jazz related, in a NON-JAZZ context...

in the tv series Dawson's Creek,, Pacey's brother Doug has a poster of the BN Rare Groove Series in his appartment... (and like 10 minutes later there was another out of place thing related to something pretty cool but i forgot what)

"Lowe pleaded guilty this afternoon in Guilford County Superior Court to six counts each of robbery with a dangerous weapon and kidnapping, possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana and possession of ecstasy as part of a plea deal in connection with a series of events surrounding a March 16 home invasion.

He also entered an Alford plea on a charge of conspiracy to commit armed robbery and possession of a weapon on educational property in a March 24, 2007, shooting at UNCG. An Alford plea means he does not admit guilt but acknowledges the state has enough evidence to convict him.

Lowe is the son of North Carolina State men's basketball coach Sidney Lowe.

Lowe agreed to accept the state's plea deal on Sunday, his attorney Locke Clifford said. Court proceedings on the case began at 3 p.m. and at 5 p.m. officials anticipated that sentencing in the case would carry over into Tuesday morning.

A Cary psychiatrist testified for the defense that Lowe suffers from a dependency on marijuana and ecstasy.

Clifford would not say why Lowe had decided to accept the plea deal. He was originally charged with 20 counts in the two incidents."

• 1 year later...

and another video I stumbled on ages ago...

-- dance cover of the Joe Henderson tune originally from Multiple (1973)

And another Joe Henderson thing that I just stumbled on quite by accident. Yeah, it's jazz, but jazz by big vocal/vocalese groups is like some wholly 'nother kinda of thing -- both jazz and 'not-jazz' at the same time (at least in my mind). :crazy:

In any case, THIS seemed like the thread to post this in...

>>

<< Edited by Rooster_Ties

In the hallway of my daughter's elementary school in 2002, the second graders had a big display where each of their first names was written on an individual leaf. They were displayed in pairs on the wall. So you had Melissa Melanie, next to Jason Nick, next to Annie Meghan, next to Charlie Parker.

As I stood staring at Charlie Parker the first time, during Back to School Night, a small child yelled out next to me, "Parker! Parker!" A little kid came running over, apparently the Parker of the leaf pair.

The display was up for months. I imagine that I was the only one who noticed Charlie Parker.

In the Sports section of today's Kansas City Star, there is an article by Kent Babb about Brett Favre joining the Vikings. They are the Chiefs' opponent this weekend. Here is a short excerpt:

"But like listening to good jazz, sometimes it’s important to listen for the things you don’t hear. What about the appearance that Favre wanted to join the Vikings, get paid for it, and play without enduring training camp, the most grueling and unrewarding part of the NFL season? How must that have looked to his teammates, especially to the other quarterbacks who’ve spent three weeks fighting for jobs? Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson are suddenly demoted. Heck, reserve passer John David Booty had to give up his jersey number, stripped Tuesday of No. 4 so Favre could have it. Booty was given No. 9 — and much longer odds of making the team’s 53-man roster.

The Vikings might be smiling, or at least pretending to smile, but one Chiefs player said Tuesday that he’d want nothing to do with the annual Brett Favre sideshow."

My all time least favorite jazz reference in a non-jazz context was written by Bill James, in his 1986 Baseball Abstract:

"I do not aspire to be an Astros fan. The Astros are to baseball what jazz is to music. Think about it:

1) Jazz is improvisational. Jazz musicians, uniquely among musicians I hope, sometimes string the elements of their music together as they go, with no particular plan or outline. Do you think the Astros know where they're going? Do you think there's a score for this?

2) Jazz ambles along without crescendos or refrains, going neither andante or allegro and without reaching either fortissimo or pianissimo. A good piece of jazz only uses about half an octave. The ultimate jazz tune is a saxophone player undulating slowly between D flat and middle C.

Similarly, the Houston Astros amble along at 80, 82 wins a year; the last four years they've been 77-85, 85-77, 80-82, and 83-79. Since 1969 the Oakland A's have finished a total of 216 games over .500 in their good seasons, and 169 games under .500 in their bad seasons. The Houston Astros have finished 70 games over .500 in their good seasons, and 67 under in their bad seasons. The ultimate Houston Astros season is one in which they lose on opening day, then win, lose, win, lose, win, etc. until they reach 81-81.

3) Jazz is usually played indoors.

4) Jazz uses comparatively few instruments. Jazz ensembles are rarely enlivened with sousaphones, steel guitars, oboes, bassoons, or any other instrument which might tend to break up the monotony. Similarly, the Houston Astros use comparatively few weapons, relying heavily on the stolen base and the starting pitcher, but with no power hitters, no batting champions, no Ozzie Smiths or Jack Clarks. Both jazz and the Houston Astros, in short, are boring.

5) All jazz music sounds pretty much alike to the uninitiated, that 99.97% of us who haven't acquired the taste; it's repetitious, depressing, ugly, and inclined to bestow a headache upon the recipient. Much the same can be said of the Houston Astros, well known for wearing baseball's ugliest home and road uniforms. Similarly, one Houston Astros season, one Astros game, and one Astros player looks pretty much like the next one.

No, I'm kidding of course; the Astros have been a little boring in recent years, but they'll get over it, and I'm sure jazz is as beautiful, varied, and enjoyable as real music if you happen to have a taste for it. It's just that...well, I'm a night person. During the Abstract crunch (a fifth season, unique to Winchester, Kansas) I start to work around 4:00 P.M. and I work until daybreak. About ten years ago we went through a period where the only thing on the radio between one and four A.M. was country music. I've never understood this...I mean, if you don't like C&W in the middle of the afternoon, why do radio executives think you're suddenly going to be struck with a yen to hear some Merle Haggard at 12:59 A.M.? Now it's jazz; I listen to a mixture of classical music, rock music, and talk shows as I work, and at seven o'clock every evening, they all decide that I'd like to hear Count Basie. Public radio stations, usually a reliable port in a storm, have for some unfathomable reason decided that jazz is socially and morally uplifting, and that they have a responsibility to impose it on us. But if I want to listen to Mozart in the afternoon, why does anybody think I'd want to listen to Miles Davis all night?

Ah well, I've got my Jethro Tull and a stereo, and baseball season's coming...what I should do is get a VCR and record a couple hundred baseball games, and play them back while I'm working. I might even acquire a taste for the Astros."