Johnny Griffin has left us...

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a huge loss. To me, Johnny Griffin was one of the greatest jazz musicians still active. I will always remember the several wonderful concerts I saw in 1978-81, always with Ronnie Matthews on piano.

He really tore it up at the 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival, as the opening act in a triple bill with Dexter Gordon and Freddie Hubbard following. To me, he stole the entire evening, was clearly the best improviser of the three that night. It was interesting to compare his improvisations with Dexter's, in entire sets back to back. As good as Dexter was, he tended to tread water in his improvisations sometimes, to fall back on repeated patterns and lots of quotes, which were often humorous. To me it seemed that Dexter's frequent quotes also helped him get to the next chorus sometimes when he did not have much left to say. On the contrary, Johnny Griffin's stream of ideas never dwindled.

At the end of Dexter's set, Johnny came out and joined Dexter's group for two truly exciting numbers, "Blues Up and Down" and "Cheesecake". I have never heard an audience at any jazz concert go as wild as the crowd of 2000 in Hill Auditorium after "Blues Up and Down." It was pandemonium in the sold out theater, for several minutes.

Johnny was also very gracious and nice in person, when I talked to him after a concert.

Oh, man, that's terrible news. The JAMFs are always with us, but Johnny Griffin is gone. R.I.P., Mr. Griffin. A friend and I were just reminiscing last night about seeing Griffin in concert with Ronnie Matthews. I saw him a lot with that quartet, with Kenny Washington on drums, and also a couple of times when he was touring as second tenor with Dexter's quartet. What a player he was, and what a personality!