Richard Twardzik Biography - New publisher and release date

After the frustrated publication by means of Berkeley Hills Books, maybe this will the definitive one. ^_^

Bouncin' With Bartok: The Incomplete Works of Richard Twardzik

by Jack Chambers

• Paperback: 240 pages
  • Publisher: Mercury Press (October, 2008)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1551281414
  • ISBN-13: 978-1551281414

Cheers,

Jordi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I still don't believe this has been issued.

My usual book sources don't have it.

AFAIK the publishers are already sending out review copies.

F

"Already" - it's only been in the works since 2002.

When can us peons get a copy???

So? Stanley Crouch started working on his Bird bio in 1981.

:rsmile:

F

True enough, but a publication date has never been announced for the Bird.

On the other hand, the publication date of the Twardzik book has been announced over & over. :ph34r::mellow:<_<:wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know (yet) when and where can be bought, but I can tell you the book DOES exist :cool:

Paperback, the back cover says $19.95 and ISBN: 978-1-55128-141-4

302 pp., plus discography and index.

As soon as I know more about its availability, I'll let you know.

F

EDIT to add that according to the website (where apparently you can buy the book), the price I gave is in CANADIAN dollars.

Also, AMAZON.CA has it and AMAZON.COM seems to be waiting for more stock.

Edited by Fer Urbina

I hope it's not as badly written as books of this kind - jaz bios - tend to be. Sorry to be negative, but I've read so many bad ones; biography takes a special talent, critical biography the same. Usually jazz bios are basically long magazine articles padded with trivia -

Edited by AllenLowe

I hope it's not as badly written as books of this kind - jaz bios - tend to be. Sorry to be negative, but I've read so many bad ones; biography takes a special talent, critical biography the same. Usually jazz bios are basically long magazine articles padded with trivia -

Cannot tell right now (have a queue of books before I get to this). I have read the afterword, which deals with the research Chambers has done, and it looks promising in that respect (quite a few letters from Twardzik himself have been included, Chambers had the family's collaboration).

It looks above average, although I agree that average in this genre is nothing to shout about, usually for lack of a good editor (or an editor at all), IMHO.

F

I got about 30-35 pages in Monday night and am going to read more tonight/tomorrow. If you're a Twardzik fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all...I'm pretty impressed so far that Chambers was able to dig up so much on his background.

Agree - a fine book IMO, well researched, many new facts uncovered - I would think essential reading for anyone with an interest in Twardzik and his music, and also the Boston scene at the time ...

Q