One Night With Blue Note DVD

CJ Shearn

I preordered last night. Looking forward to having these performances as I had vols 1-2, 4 on casette a looooooooong time ago and the "Town Hall Concert" CD, which after the DVD, will just kinda be there sitting on my shelf ast home for the one (I think performance) not on the DVD. The new cover looks kind of cool except I wish they had used the original cover art. Also I wonder why they added 4 new performances to delete 4 existing ones, why not include the whole thing? At least it just will be out.

additional performances:

Recorda-me*

Herbie Hancock – Piano

Ron Carter – Bass

Tony Williams – Drums

Freddie Hubbard – Trumpet

Joe Henderson - Tenor Saxophone

Bobby Hutcherson - Vibes

Appointment in Ghana*

McCoy Tyner – Piano

Cecil McBee – Bass

Jack DeJohnette – Drums

Woody Shaw - Trumpet

Jackie McLean - Alto Saxophone

Jumpin' the Blues*, Scratch My Back*

Stanley Turrentine - Sax

Jimmy Smith - Organ

Kenny Burrell - Guitar

Grady Tate - Drums

Stanley Turrentine -Tenor Saxophone

deleted tracks:

BROADSIDE

WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR

LADY DAY

THE BLESSING

PASSION DANCE

it's 5 actually. How is the video quality in terms of camera work? is it decent? A lot of DVD's I have with the exception of Pat Metheny's "Speaking of Now: Live in Japan" (the Japanese import of the DVD that will be available in the US November 18th), and Herbie's "Future 2 Future Live", have inappropriate camera work with camera focusing too much on facial expressions, the wrong players, etc.....

Wow, I'd like to see those different tracks.

Looks like they cut two-thirds of Lloyd's airtime. That's a shame, but I've already got the vhs, so I can always watch him there.

Cutting "Passion Dance" is a shame, as it's always nice to watch Woody Shaw in action, but they've added "Appointment in Ghana" instead.

After watching the whole series, it seemed that Freddie Hubbard was really "on," while Herbie Hancock and Charles Lloyd were still in their primes.

One of my favorite tracks is "Moanin" which is played well by all the soloists. Walter Davis has this huge grin on his face throughout the entire song. It's almost as if he had been holed up in his studio or something for decades until Blakey or whoever invited him to join in for the concert. He was so happy to participate he couldn't wipe away his grin.

ooh is that when Blakey was playing those Paiste's instead of K ride cymbals? probably as a result of his hearing loss his cymbal sound in those years was awful anyway. but since I love his playing that can be looked past.

I think so, CJ. Can barely hear Blakey's cymbal work on the track. Everyone else seems to be having a great time though. One great solo after another: Hubbard then Griffin then Fuller then Davis.

I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago.... CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

I bet the deleted footage is from all those Blue Note "stars" at the time that don't deserve to sit side by side with the legends...Stanley Jordan, ect.... I'm glad they decided to do that.

Can't complain about cutting Stanley Jordan, but the Charles Lloyd footage is awesome. Should have kept "Lady Day."

You've got something exciting ahead of you. :tup

a very helpful response (as of this am) from Blue Note :rolleyes:

"The track listing is not available at this time. Please check back with us

in the next few weeks for more information. Thank you for your inquiry and

please continue to visit us at http://www.bluenote.com

User Comments : Hi,

Do you have a track listing for the upcoming "One Night with Blue Note" DVD?

Thanks"

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Deepdiscountdvd.com

is selling it for $14.34 (free shipping)

The Blue NOte website has this info:

Album Info

One Night With Blue Note DVD

When Bruce Lundvall and Michael Cuscuna revived the Blue Note record label in 1985, a reunion concert was held at Town Hall in New York City. The concert brought together some of the most well-known names associated with Blue Note and in jazz as well as a handful of artists newly signed to the label.

For over three and a half hours on the night of February 22, 1985 one jazz legend after another took the stage playing classic tunes from the Blue Note catalog. Many regard this event as the greatest single jazz evening ever.

One Night With Blue Note is seeing its first release on DVD and is enhanced with a gallery of famous Blue Note cover art from designer Reid Miles. A collection of stunning black and white studio photography by label co-founder Francis Wolff is also included.

One Night With Blue Note DVD special features:

* Special concert performance captured on DVD for the first time

* Newly edited from the original video transfers, plus new introduction and interstitials

* Multi-artist concert featuring some of the most well known jazz artists in the world

* Album Cover art gallery

* Reid Miles photo gallery

* New Stereo mix and 5.1 surround sound mix

* Four performances never-before available on video, including one never-before released in any commercial form

* Region 0 coding, available in PAL & NTSC

* Spanish, French and Japanese subtitles

Track Listing

Canteloupe Island (Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams)

Recorda-me (Hubbard, Henderson, Hancock, Carter, Williams, Bobby Hutcherson)

Little B’s Poem (Hutcherson, Hancock, Carter, Williams, James Newton)

Bouquet (Hancock, Carter, Hutcherson)

Jumpin’ Jack (Stanley Jordan)

Summertime (Grover Washington, Jr., Kenny Burrell, Reggie Workman, Grady Tate)

Moanin’ (Hubbard, Johnny Griffin, Curtis Fuller, Walter Davis, Jr., Workman, Art Blakey)

Sweet and Lovely (McCoy Tyner)

Appointment in Ghana (Woody Shaw, Jackie McLean, Tyner, Cecil McBee, Jack DeJohnette)

Tone Poem (Charles Lloyd, Michel Petrucciani, McBee, DeJohnette)

Blues Walk (Lou Donaldson, Jimmy Smith, Burrell, Tate)

Jumpin’ the Blues (Stanley Turrentine, Smith, Burrell, Tate)

Scratch My Back (Turrentine, Smith, Burrell, Tate)

Pontos Cantados (Cecil Taylor)

I'll buy it. :rolleyes:

imo from the selections on the dvd, they should have dumped stanley jordan- jumping jack,and added passion dance. i ordered it anyway. fool that i am,if it's blue note, i must have one.

Yeah,,,get rid of Stanley Jordan please. A shame to waste that DVD time when legend footage is on the cutting room floor. <_<

Soul Stream, I can't wait either. I ordered it from my local B&N, I went over there earlier tonight, it came in except they told me to come back tommorrow since they could not break the street date :-p I really am looking forward to this DVD since I have been waiting for a lot of this music to resurface. I will hop a bus after class tommorrow to go get it before my TA job for Jazz in American music. We are gonna discuss hard bop soon, we're finishing bop, since I am going to help in discussing hard bop I wonder if a portion of this DVD could be shown? although honestly the differences between bop and hard bop will be lost on these kids just like last semester when I was a student in the class and nobody got it. I've been reading "Hard Bop" by Rosenthal to assist in my lecture but I wonder if it will totally work.

Picked this up today. THIS IS SOME BAD, BAD STUFF!!!!! Man, Jackie and WOODY SHAW on Appt. in GHana...Wow. Woody Shaw looks and sounds really good. Jack Dejonette, Cecil McBee and McCoy kill that tune as well

GET THIS!!

Anway, too many highlights to cover right now. But it has been totally re-edited from the original footage. Shots are wider, better, and the clarity is perfect. The sound has been warmed up and is really good considering the shitty digital audio source they had to work with. (this isn't and excuse, its sounds real good no excuses really)

Anyway....Jimmy Smith, Lou...oh and STANLEY TURRENTINE..another guy I'd never seen in person. He looks SO good. Tall, slim and blowin'...

:D

I watched the whole thing last night in 5.1 The surround mix is nice and sounds natural, no instrument placement gimmicks.

I really enjoyed most of the performances - it was interesting to SEE the music. I think my favorite tracks are Moanin' and Summertime. I was cracking up at Charles Lloyd - the way he was flopping around.

I liked the intros between tracks, I thought they were really well done. Does anyone know the name of the guy who did the voiceovers? Sounds like the voice of the old Blue Note Radio. I couldn't find his name anywhere in the credits.

The extras were ok. I've got the cover art books and Wolff's photography book so there was really nothing new there. It's still great to see that they took the time to add extras.

The only drawback for me is that they decided to end the DVD with Cecil Taylor banging random piano keys for twelve and half minutes. For me the concert will always end with Turrentine, Smith, Burrell, and Tate playing "Scratch My Back."

Based on this effort, I'd like to see more DVDs from Blue Note.

I watched more last night when I got home. One thing I noticed that really disturbed me and screams unprofessionalism...that is there are MANY instances where the footage of the performers doesn't match up to the music. This is lame, and I don't know why it was done. Editing 101 I would think.

...also, 333...I agree. Cecil Taylor is total crap. To end it on Cecil flailing away, well that was a letdown ending to say the least. And just like the old Blue Note days, I'm sure Lou, Stanley, Kenny and Co. were all laughing their asses off at Cecil backstage.

Those couple of downsides are miniscule compared to the beautiful moments that occur again and again. Still, Appt. in Ghana is the highlight for me and that isn't even my favorite "style" of Blue Note. So that's saying something. Moanin' seemed a bit sloppy, but Curtis Fuller steals the show imho on that one. And Walter Davis Jr, is a joy to watch and hear!!!!

The Hutcherson stuff is also a nice, quite respite. Beautiful. The whole thing is a joy. I could go on.... :D

Edited by Soul Stream

yeah, I noticed that too Soul Stream with the out of sync parts. Especially with the drummers, I noticed several instances where shots of Bu, Jack D. and Grady Tate were out of sync with what they were playing. Sometimes DVD players can do that. I am also a little dissapointed with some of the camera work focusing too much on faces, they had a limited source to work with I guess. Overall this DVD is a great addition to my collection, I'm just happy to have the music available again where I couldn't find it for years.

Yeah, the out of sync stuff is bad but this is a "Blue Note" release, since when does quality production count at BN? Bobby Hutcherson was the highlight for me, he is a great musician that never gets the props he should. Jimmy Smith was outstanding -- it's the first time I've ever seen him play. The funniest moment occured at the end of Recorda Me, when Ron Carter had to tell Freddie Hubbard to get up and play the closing -- poor Freddie wasn't paying attention. Am I the only one who thought that Hubbard might have been "under the influence'? Why they ended with Taylor pounding out Pontos Cantados is beyond me. Was that how the concert ended? Overall, it is a great DVD to have, a lot of the players have left us, so it's great to have a record of them. I just can't believe Tony Williams is gone, I still don't believe it. Hope Blue Note puts out some more stuff.

Edited by Matthew

nope Matthew you aren't the only one. I said to myself the first time I watched, "is Freddie high?" but his playing is great. I love the moment on "Moanin" where he plays that riff for several bars, pulls the trumpet out of his mouth and grunts "unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" then proceeds to play a run, classic stuff.