Gerald Wilson Mosaic is running low

I love how on the Organissimo bulletin board...the stumbling block for getting the set to some is that it has organ on it... :P

That's not what I said. I have plenty of organ jazz CDs, including all three Organissimo discs... what I said was that a friend of mine who doesn't like organ much considered re-selling his GW box to me. But in the meantime I had Mosaic put one aside for me anyway.

At least for those ordering from the U.S., deepdiscount.com has this set for $69 delivered (about $20 less than the delivered price direct from Mosaic). It is on backorder, but I suspect they will get product from Mosaic as long as it is not OOP. I ordered mine on 7/31, and it just shipped, so it might be worth a shot for some.

Gerald Wilson Mosaic - deepdiscount.com

I love wandering in to these "running low" threads knowing I already own the set in question! :P:w;)

Me too (snigger snigger).

MG

Oh, OK, seriously, there are five LPs (out of 10) on this that have organ on them.

You better believe it

On stage

Feelin' kinda blues

California soul

Eternal equinox

But on the fourth, it's Jimmy Rowles who plays it occasionally, so maybe that doesn't count.

MG

I just got mine today (the Chicago Jazz Fest set broke down any remaining procrastination impulses, once the daze of realizing that some of the recordings are almost 50 years old now had passed) so they're not gone yet, unless I got the last one in which case I can just mock everyone who wasn't On The Stick. Mine was #4445/5,000.

Edited by rshurman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oops - forgot that I already did that - there's a set on the way to me!

:tup

You won't regret it! There are ten albums in the set, two of them "pop" albums, the first of which is saved almost on his own by the great Teddy Edwards. The second is rather drab but ey, there are eight more albums in the set, and some of them are terrific, and all of them contain at least a few very, very good things! I guess this set is sort of similar to how the Blue Mitchell would be, would they not have omitted the final Blue Note albums of his... ok, not a good comparison, but I assume you get a rough idea.

It was handed over to me half an hour ago, and I enjoyed the session with Groove Holmes immensely! I like that transparent sound this music has, combined with the occasional power bursts. This was a band, or rather an arranger with a style completely his own. Great stuff!

I only wish the booklet would be more elaborate on his early big band recordings, which I have on two Chronological Classics CDs ....

My set is # 4454, btw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...