Another Spam from Nessa

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just started to listen to disc one. i had no preconcieved notions on what to expect - i just sat back on the couch, closed my eyes and listened. half-way through nonaah (track 1 disc 1) i was shaken by my 10 year old - "dad, dad!!!! what is that!!! why is he playing that over and ovar again!!! i can't get it out of my head!! make it STOP!!!!!"

think of it this way - now you have a surefire way of getting the kid away from the tv, to clean his room, take out the trash. etc.

NESSA RECORDS - MUSIC FOR THE EARS, CONTROL FOR THE MIND

I’ve been spending alot of time with Nonaah over the last few days. This is very affecting, enjoyable music that has given my music-deprived self a much a needed jolt and a blast of refreshment. I've been spending so much time at work, outside in the warm weather, and reading books that I've not been listening to much music this summer. Don't even think about it...pick this one up. It's marvelous, and I think it's becoming my favorite solo Roscoe record. Glad I checked in on the board when I did. Thanks Chuck!

Edited by sal

Thought I'd add that I also ordered a copy for a cousin this evening. Such great music.

Thus far, my favorite pieces are the two versions of "Nonaah"....it makes me wonder if I've ever heard 2 such different versions of a "same song" one one album that are so different, yet both SO impressive?? The previously unreleased material is wonderful. Listening to the Berkeley solo version of "Off Five Dark Six" right now.

edit for grammer

Edited by sal

Sky high. I had to shut it down after Disc 1 and collect myself. This is beautiful and emotionally demanding music, as you said. The title track is stunning and powerful, while pieces such as "A1 TAL 2LA" and "Tahquemenon" struck me as gorgeous and supple -- music to be savored. There are many rewards hidden here, me thinks.

And the sound quality is excellent, IMO. I'm no expert, but this music is coming through beautifully to my ear. Very excited by this one. Thanks for the music!

I've been spending so much time at work, outside in the warm weather, and reading books that I've not been listening to much music this summer. Don't even think about it...pick this one up.

Roscoe Mitchell could make anyone quit their day job, stay inside and listen to music, though I hope the illiteracy doesn't come with it.

First part of Disc B tonight -- Improvisation 1, Ballad and Nonaah (quartet). I made a feeble attempt to follow along the quartet version of Nonaah using the earlier discussion here about the placement of each of the four musicians as a guide. My lack of familiarity with the music (and the musicians) coupled with the sheer force of the piece pretty much overwhelmed my attempts at this early on. ... Amazing music. Both immediate and gradual in the way it reveals itself. ... I need much more time with this ... and a bowl of ice cream before sleep. ^_^

Really enjoying my copy even if it's a demanding listen every time.

I'm wondering (this is a question for Chuck if he feels inclined to answer) how the sales are looking so far. I get the sense units are moving, but the audience I'm listening to might not be the most representative cross-section of consumers.

Really enjoying my copy even if it's a demanding listen every time.

I'm wondering (this is a question for Chuck if he feels inclined to answer) how the sales are looking so far. I get the sense units are moving, but the audience I'm listening to might not be the most representative cross-section of consumers.

Demanding indeed. I warned folks early in the thread.

Best I can tell, I sold about 30 thru this site and have shipped another 10 mail orders from other sources. One member required a 2nd mailing 'cause the first didn't arrive and another 3 hit me for promos. Beyond that I have billed about 250 copies to wholesalers.

Your honest record company. :ph34r:

Edited by Chuck Nessa