Another Spam from Nessa

I have been listening to this all day. I've had a cdr transfer of a my vinyl for a few years now, I know and love this music. It's an all time favorite of mine and it changed the way I hear music. Thanks for these bonus tracks, they are a revelation. Right now I keep listening to the two studio bonus cuts from Chicago. This stuff sends me into a trance. 4. "Sing" and 5. "Improvisation 2" are lost gems.

Thanks Chuck. Let us know when you start taking orders for the Tyler!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to the previously unreleased material on Disc B this morning for the first time. Probably the most demanding series of tracks in the whole set, for me. While I found Disc A intoxicating and exciting, Disc B struck me with much more blunt force, overall. Only once I had surrendered to the trance-like repetitions of "Chant," for instance, did the nuances of the pattern begin to emerge, and change. ... A listening experience like no other.

Music overall, but particularly demanding music such as this, is wonderfully instructive, for me. And one of the great rewards that comes from challenging certain assumptions are the doors that open up elsewhere as a result. And so, with "Nonaah" still reverberating, I'm listening now to Braxton's "For Alto" with a new set of ears. It's an album I never found particularly engaging, until this morning. ... Thanks again for the music.

Sal is THE MAN! He even ordered one for a friend. :)

OK....how do I order mine directly from you.......

I'm not Chuck, but here's ordering info from post #42:

Interested parties can order directly from me at Nessa Records, PO Box 394, Whitehall, MI 49461 or via PayPal to info@nessarecords.com . The price is $23 post paid in North America – folks living elsewhere should add $4 to cover the extra postage.

Should you be interested in any of my other offerings, including stuff from the Okka Disk catalog, send an email and I will supply lists and prices.

Thanks.

CN

Sal is THE MAN! He even ordered one for a friend. :)

OK....how do I order mine directly from you.......

I'm not Chuck, but here's ordering info from post #42:

Interested parties can order directly from me at Nessa Records, PO Box 394, Whitehall, MI 49461 or via PayPal to info@nessarecords.com . The price is $23 post paid in North America – folks living elsewhere should add $4 to cover the extra postage.

Should you be interested in any of my other offerings, including stuff from the Okka Disk catalog, send an email and I will supply lists and prices.

Thanks.

CN

I tried it and it didn't go through.....got a return delivery failure message.

It just worked for me. Try again.

• 2 weeks later...

received this the other day, Track 2 Disc A Ericka is immense, nothing here sounds angry to me, very interesting and enjoyable so far. Who was Ericka?

Ericka is Joseph Jarman's composition and I no longer recall the person in question. Old age I guess.

This theme has been recorded by Roscoe and/or the AEC a number of times. I even have another RM solo performance in the can. There is a stunning version by the Art Ensemble in the 1967/68 box.

• 2 weeks later...

i spent some time this weekend listening to both discs again!

i am perplexed by both versions of Off Five Dark Six - to my ears they sound completely different - as in 2 distinct compositions. am i far out in left field on this?

A1 TAL 2LA - the duet with Malachi Favors - is wonderful! to my ears it feels like a journey down a lazy river! easily my favorite.

i also really enjoyed Tahquemenon. this was such a strong number - i'll bet it was a joy to watch!!

thanks again chuck!

:cool:

From a friend of mine who is now out of music:

While I was at Berger's Creative Music Studio of Woodstock NY in 1978 I

think? My dad was about to leave us though I didn't know it or feel it

properly, and insisted I stay up there for the week....I reflect back on

my decision to stay and have mixed feelings, but the young denial of

certain realities at the time kept me engaged.

Anyway....the AE of C were doing the workshops and Roscoe was putting

our student orchestra through it paces playing his Nonaah. J Jarman, L

Bowie and Mitchell each put on their own workshops each having a

completely differnt slant. Lester and Joseph leaned towards the

theatrical and mind over matter exercises. Roscoe was all business all

music...he could be tough and very serious. Malachi Favors just drifted

about almost mute playing his natural role of being a peaceful man and

playing bass when the situation needed him.

What a collection of different personalities.

Roscoe was pretty intense about his music but it was fun listening to

him be a regular guy over dinner. If he was in the army....(actually I

think he was)...he'd have been a sergeant or something.