Japanese releases 2008 - July to December

Daniel A

For some reason, I didn't see this thread when it started. I've got a couple of queries.

UCCO 9462 Lawrence, Azar(ts,ss) / Bridge Into The New Age* 2300

UCCO 9463 Bartz, Gary(as) / I've Known Rivers And Other Bodies* 2300

UCCO 9464 Bartz, Gary(as) / Harlem Bush Music: Taifa* 2300

UCCO 9465 Bartz, Gary(as) / Harlem Bush Music: Uhuru* 2300

I've always been somewhat curious about these releases. But sometimes I like Bartz, sometimes I don't. Anyone like to chime in and say what kind of music is on them?

VICJ 61547(SHM CD) Green, Benny(tb) / Benny Green With Sonny Rollins 3000

Never heard of this. Anyone know anything about it?

Oh, and a big YEAHHHH! for Freddie McCoy's "Spider man"!

MG

For some reason, I didn't see this thread when it started. I've got a couple of queries.

UCCO 9462 Lawrence, Azar(ts,ss) / Bridge Into The New Age* 2300

UCCO 9463 Bartz, Gary(as) / I've Known Rivers And Other Bodies* 2300

UCCO 9464 Bartz, Gary(as) / Harlem Bush Music: Taifa* 2300

UCCO 9465 Bartz, Gary(as) / Harlem Bush Music: Uhuru* 2300

I've always been somewhat curious about these releases. But sometimes I like Bartz, sometimes I don't. Anyone like to chime in and say what kind of music is on them?

Oh, and a big YEAHHHH! for Freddie McCoy's "Spider man"!

MG

I can give a :tup to the Bartz and Lawrence titles. I've Known Rivers is to me Bartz's masterpiece, recorded live at Montreux in 1973. All of the Bartz titles are uncompromised by any commercial considerations (which shortly thereafter ruined his work for a decade), yet seek a unique musical/spiritual fusion. I did an AOTW on 'I've Known Rivers' a couple years ago, it should still be out in that section. Andy Bey is on the Harlem Bush Music albums, Bartz does all of the singing (very well) on Rivers. The Lawrence is also excellent, again a very unique and uncompromised vision. The Bartz's are available in less expensive domestic versions (in fact the two Harlem Bush Music albums make up one twofer Milestone CD, and Rivers was a two record set also available on a single CD), but this is the first CD release for the Lawrence, and is worth the import money.

Strong Strata-East vibe but with a hint of Bartz's work with Miles and infusions of soul (Andy Bey is on vocals for some of these sessions, Bartz also does vocals). I actually caught him live doing the 'I've Known Rivers' and 'Uhuru' vocals just a few years ago and very good it was too. Shared the bill with Eddie Henderson. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As the preceding and subsequent titles are all albums originally released on Time Records, I strongly suspect this is Bennie Green's only Time LP, on which there was a Sonny named Clark. I don't know of any Bennie Green session with Sonny Rollins.

As the preceding and subsequent titles are all albums originally released on Time Records, I strongly suspect this is Bennie Green's only Time LP, on which there was a Sonny named Clark. I don't know of any Bennie Green session with Sonny Rollins.

I think you're right.

green_benni_benniegre_102b.jpg