Mahanthappa/Dresser/Hemingway

Uncle Skid

• 3 weeks later...

Not on EMusic yet... but hopefully will be added soon.

They (Clean Feed) seem to update every couple of months, so I'll hang on a while longer and see what happens.

There's one James Finn that has never made it to eMusic. I'm with you, I'll wait and see if this one arrives. Good label.

You can always write to them and request it. The direct approach doesn't always work, but it beats sitting around and wishing and waiting. While wishing and waiting is my natural mode (which has already paid off for this disc), I did write a label about Fathead Newman's Life (hasn't paid off yet though).

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit to being somewhat lukewarm on this release, reserving the right to change my mind, of course!

I think my expectations were slightly out of whack -- I erroneously assumed this would be like Rudresh's leader dates, and/or his collaborations with Vijay Iyer.

In retrospect, I see that's kind of silly, as this is a "group" effort, with Dresser and Hemingway obviously having large influence over the compositions and musical direction.

The first song ("Acuppa") is more of a straight-ahead piece, while the rest of the CD is a lot more free. "Acuppa" sounds to me more like the Rudresh I'm "used to", while the rest sounds more like the Dresser/Hemingway I'm "used to" (Braxton/Crispell).

Not quite sure that this combination works for me yet -- just my initial reaction after a few listens.

Rudresh has a new release on Pi as well called Kinsmen.

Really? Great! Now I really am going to have to break down and buy me some more eMusic booster packs.

I kinda hear what Uncle Skid is saying. I went and saw Amir ElSaffar and a large ensemble playing music off Two Rivers, specifically because Rudresh was there. It was great. However, I downloaded Two Rivers and even though it is a much smaller group (and Rudresh is on the CD), it feels entirely different and a bit more claustrophobic and Rudresh gets very little space to do his thing. It's not bad, it just isn't what I was expecting. (I hope that they can record the larger ensemble, since I enjoyed it a lot, but that probably will not happen.)

• 4 weeks later...