The Long Window - Shelly Manne

Jazzjet

This is a bit of a long shot but I'm hoping that the wealth of knowledge on this forum can help me.

I'm looking for the album that got me into jazz in the first place all those years ago. I'd moved on

from beat boom stuff to blues and from there wanted to experiment with modern jazz. I belonged to

a public record library and borrowed an LP, the title of which is fixed in my head as 'The Long Window'.

This was cool West Coast stuff and could have been on something like the Contemporary label ( although

research in the discographies has not been productive ). Again, Shelly Manne's name keeps coming back to me.

The album dates from the 50s, or possibly early 60s. I'm pretty sure it featured vibes. My internet searches have

not yet been fruitful although I have found a US crime novel titled 'The Long Window' by John Eshelman Morton

which fits date-wise. Maybe the album I'm looking for was a soundtrack?

Can anyone help me?

Since you've already researched the discographies for " The Long Window " to no avail , I'd suggest that if you haven't already done so , that you sit down and listen to Manne's Peter Gunn albums or Manne's soundtrack for the film The Proper Time on the chance that you're misremembering the album's title while correctly recalling that it was a Manne-led record featuring vibes .

Since you've already researched the discographies for " The Long Window " to no avail , I'd suggest that if you haven't already done so , that you sit down and listen to Manne's Peter Gunn albums or Manne's soundtrack for the film The Proper Time on the chance that you're misremembering the album's title while correctly recalling that it was a Manne-led record featuring vibes .

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been Peter Gunn but The Proper Time is certainly worth exploring. It is the right date, has the right sort of personnel and has a racy sleeve which would probably have appealed to me at the time as a callow youth! Still not sure where The Long Window memory comes from. A song title maybe?

Thanks anyway for your help.

Jazzjet,

I just did a quick Google search using The Proper Time Shelly Manne and found two websites that are offering this LP. It is pricey. Both want $99.00. There are pix of the album cover, so maybe that will help solve he mystery. Here's a track listing. Sorry, there's no The Long Window.

1. Drum Solo 7:20

2. Blue Stutter 4:03

3. The Proper Time 4:01

4. Happy Pool 4:03

5. The Proper Time 1:12

6. Doreen's Blues 3:16

7. Exotic Moods 2:15

8. Warm Water 4:16

9. Doreen's Blues 3:16

10. The Proper Time 1:12

11. Drum Solo 0:50

12. Panic 1:44

13. Fraternizing 1:45

14. Doreen's Blues 1:43

15. Fast Blues 0:42

16. Piano Trio 1:46

12. Doreen's Blues 2:15

13. The Proper Time 1:20

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Jazzjet,

I just did a quick Google search using The Proper Time Shelly Manne and found two websites that are offering this LP. It is pricey. Both want $99.00. There are pix of the album cover, so maybe that will help solve he mystery. Here's a track listing. Sorry, there's no The Long Window.

1. Drum Solo 7:20

2. Blue Stutter 4:03

3. The Proper Time 4:01

4. Happy Pool 4:03

5. The Proper Time 1:12

6. Doreen's Blues 3:16

7. Exotic Moods 2:15

8. Warm Water 4:16

9. Doreen's Blues 3:16

10. The Proper Time 1:12

11. Drum Solo 0:50

12. Panic 1:44

13. Fraternizing 1:45

14. Doreen's Blues 1:43

15. Fast Blues 0:42

16. Piano Trio 1:46

12. Doreen's Blues 2:15

13. The Proper Time 1:20

Up over and out.

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the trouble you've taken. Certainly pricey!

I just wish I knew where this idea of The Long Window came from. Difficult to imagine a phrase like that. Oh well.

Jazzjet,

FWIW, I auctioned a copy of this on Ebay recently for significantly less - under $20.00! $99.00 is a little steep. :excited:

It's probably not the record he wants, anyway.

The only connection I can find between the word window and Shelly Manne has to do with Hitchcock's Rear Window. Apparently this was the first movie soundtrack that Manne was involved with as a musician, way back in 1953. Don't think this helps much in terms of the issue at hand. I just thought it was interesting.

Up over and out.