Hum Dono

Jazzjet

I recall seeing a thread somewhere a while ago suggesting that the album 'Hum Dono' by Joe Harriott and Amancio D'Silva was about to be released on CD. I know that the track 'Jaipur' was included on one of Gilles Peterson's Impressed compilations but has the complete album ever made it to CD. And if not, why not?

Absolutely no news so far this year about Harriott/D'Silva 'Hum Dono' being reissued by Universal UK. I've got the feeling that the master tapes haven't yet been found (although presumably the Lansdowne studio may still have a copy on file? - he says hopefully ;) ..)

There was a rumour in the press concerning release on CD of Kenny Wheeler's 'Windmill Tilter' but - again - just a rumour so far.

Edited by sidewinder

Incidentally - there's also another really nice UK Columbia LP from the early 70s by Amancio D'Silva - 'Reflections' - that still awaits reissue. That one is more of an MOR session, with strings.

Similarly the 'Cosmic Eye - Dream Sequence' session for Regal Zonophone, with Clem Alford on sitar.

Absolutely no news so far this year about Harriott/D'Silva 'Hum Dono' being reissued by Universal UK. I've got the feeling that the master tapes haven't yet been found (although presumably the Lansdowne studio may still have a copy on file? - he says hopefully ;) ..)

There was a rumour in the press concerning release on CD of Kenny Wheeler's 'Windmill Tilter' but - again - just a rumour so far.

Who owns the rights to the Lansdowne material - assuming that the studio retains any rights? Is Dennis Preston's estate involved?

There's some great stuff in the Lansdowne vault, such as 'Afro-Jazz' by Guy Warren, which has never seen the light of day since its vinyl issue.

Who owns the rights to the Lansdowne material - assuming that the studio retains any rights? Is Dennis Preston's estate involved?

There's some great stuff in the Lansdowne vault, such as 'Afro-Jazz' by Guy Warren, which has never seen the light of day since its vinyl issue.

Well, as far as I know, Universal own the rights to this material. Dennis Preston sold up lock, stock and barrel some years before his death many years ago so I don't think the Preston estate would be a factor. Lansdowne did a very good recent remastering of Mike Taylor's 'Pendulum' on CD but that was yanked off the market pretty sharpish so there may be legality problems with their involvement - anyone know?

It's suprising that the Japanese have not already reissued 'Hum Dono', as they did with so many of the Fontanas for example. Similarly the Guy Warrens - 'Afro Jazz', 'Emergent Drums' etc.

Edited by sidewinder