Jazz "Journeymen"

Dan Gould

I dug out some Kenny Drew CDs I hadn't listened to in quite a while and as I was digging them anew, I was reminded of something that really bothered me when I learned that Drew had died (As I check AMG I can't believe that in August it will be ten years since he passed).

Basically what ticked me off was the NY Times obit, which described Drew as a "journeyman". At the time, I really dug all of the Blue Note hard bop pianists and Drew especially, and this damn-with-faint-praise term really bothered me.

But as I thought about my anger ten years ago, I realized that perhaps the description really was apt. Not everyone is or should be considered "legends". Not everyone belongs in the Hall of Fame.

And yet, we find that when our personal heroes aren't treated with sufficient respect we get ticked off.

OK, that's what I wanted to express. Not really sure how to open it up further for discussion ... maybe on the nature of hagiography and the creation of legends? A list of journeymen who deserved a better fate?

(BTW, I was going to post this at AAJ but because of the "political dumping ground" thread decided to keep it here)

couw, it occured to me that "journeyman" might not be the best known noun for our non-American friends. I think it is most often used in the sporting world to describe the kind of athlete who never comes close to stardom but who is a "role player" who handles his job competently but even then often finds himself moving from team to team, not often jobless but not exactly loved or appreciated.

Maybe like Bill Hardman? I think he might epitomize the term "jazz journeyman".

How about Earl Gardner, the lead trumpet player for the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra, the late Carnegie Hall Jazz Band, the Mingus Big Band, the Dizzy Gillespie All-Star Alumni Band, and probably lots of other bands around New York. Every big band needs a great lead trumpet player (along with a great drummer) and Earl is one of the best around these days. He's taken over the role Al Porcino had in the 50's, '60's and '70's.

I think that the sports analogy is perfect, Dan. When we look at a journeyman player (I don't follow the game anymore, but people like Tony Phillips come to mind), we see them as second rate "never was" players, and forget just how good these guys had to be just to make it to the majors at all. I mean, hell; Michael Jackson couldn't make it past double A, and even that was a gift. Still, you can't help taking the term as an insult, especially when it's one of your favorites being tagged...

Gom, I think Bishop is a great example.

Others?...

Johnny Coles comes to mind.

As does Harold Mabern.

I often think of some of the players from the big bands/swing era fit this category.

Just from Ellington's band alone you have, Lawrence Brown, and Sam Woodyard.

I'm sure there must be others. ;)