September 2008 RVGs

djcavanagh

I've done a search but don't seem to be able to find any reference to these releases.

Jimmy Smith plays Fats Waller Link

Lou Donaldson - Lou Takes Off Link

Curtis Fuller- The Opener Link

Hank Mobley Quintet Link

J. R. Monterose Link

These are the ones listed for release on September 2nd on the Blue Note website but don't they normally come in sixes?

I can't recall which thread this was in, but I printed out the list. Looks like 2 batches of 5, the second being:

Hank Mobley: Peckin' Time

Sonny Clark: Leapin' and Lopin'

Grachan Moncur: Evolution

Sam Rivers: Dimensions and Extensions

Stanley Turrentine: Dearly Beloved

Lou Donaldson - Lou Takes Off

Hank Mobley Quintet

Hank Mobley: Peckin' Time

Seems kinda strange they're releasing these when they can be found on the Mosaic boxes by each artist. I guess they're trying to get as many RVGs out before Blue Note ceases to be a jazz operation (or if EMI ceases its existence).

Still, I'll probably get the Mobleys since all I have is a CDR of the Mosaic box and should own legit copies of the albums. I wonder if the rest of the Mobley Mosaic is going to be RVG'd like the Lee Morgan 50's stuff?

J. R. Monterose

I sure hope this sounds better than the Conn!

Curtis Fuller- The Opener

Drattit, I'm gonna kick myself if all four of his BN albums (which I have on the Mosaic box and paid a pretty penny for) are RVG'd like the Lee Morgan 50's albums. ;)

Edited by Big Al

Sam Rivers: Dimensions and Extensions

It will be 20 (or more?) years since this album was initially reissued (*) as a single compact disc! Hard to believe. I remember holding the original CD issue in a store in Denton, Texas back in 1988, but I didn't know who Sam Rivers was then. A few weeks later, I purchased Tony Williams' Spring (in Richardson, Texas of all places), and was exposed to Rivers for the first time. I then went back to buy Dimensions and Extensions, and it was gone.

* Wait — wasn't Dimensions & Extensions one of those records that never saw LP release? Meaning that its 1980's CD issue was its first release?

This is one of my favorite Rivers sessions. It never sounded that good on the Mosaic, and I'm hoping Rudy will be gentle on the compression for this reissue. Apparently he remastered this session for the Japanese market as a bonus JRVG (I know Reiner has a copy) some time around 2000. I wonder if this will be a new remaster.

* Wait — wasn't Dimensions & Extensions one of those records that never saw LP release? Meaning that its 1980's CD issue was its first release?

From the Blue Note website:

Sam River’s fourth album for Blue Note, recorded March 17, 1967, is one of his best. A cover and catalog number were prepared at the time, but for some reason this excellent date with Donald Byrd, Julian Priester, James Spaulding, Cecil McBee, and Steve Ellington remained in vaults for another ten years.

I believe it came out on LP sometime in the 70's. Wasn't it on the 2-LP set that had the unreleased quartet recording of Sam with Andrew Hill?

They still doing new RVGs?? Surely the whole catalog has been done by now, lol. How many years has it been?

Moving on, "Leapin' and Lopin'" is an outstanding album, Sonny's best for my money. It has a great groove. Sad to think that this terrific pianist had not long to go. If only we had more like this record. I have tons of excellent albums, but I have returned to this one very often, so that says something about it.

It'll be good to have that Sam Rivers date out there again. I always thought it was the most easily overlooked session out of all of Sam's four BN dates, and the one that most looked forward to some of his later work.

Speaking of overlooked, how about Donald Byrd's work on this album? He was waaaaay outta character on this album, and yet he held his own magnificently, IMO.

I thought he was out of his league. :ph34r:

I have to agree with this statement. I wonder what Alfred (or Sam) was thinking. As far as Blue Note regulars from the period, Freddie Hubbard would seem the natural choice, or even Woody Shaw or Don Cherry. Come to think of it, for the music on that album, Cherry would seem the most natural fit (to my ears).

But I still love the album. Byrd doesn't ruin it at all for me. Though I would like to travel back in time and inside his brain on the drive home from that session. ("Damn!" said Donald's brain. "What the hell?" it queried.)

I thought he was out of his league. :ph34r:

Likely so, but I gotta give him props for making the effort without bringing the session down. I agree that others (Cherry, Hubbard, etc) would've been more logical choices, but then maybe that's the charm behind this decision: how completely ILLOGICAL it was! The only thing stranger would've been to have Art Blakey on drums! :g

Did Clark record anything after Leapin' and Lopin', live or as a sideman for anyone? He seemed on the cusp of a great (compositional) breakthrough.

His last date was 11 months later, with lots between: http://www.jazzdisco.org/sonny-clark/discography/

Edit: As far as I can tell (and I don't have the credits for Jubilee Shout handy), Clark contributed 1 tune to Jackie McLean Quintet, 3 to Tippin' the Scales and that's it. Did I miss anything?

Edited by sjarrell