What's your favorite Stanley Turrentine session?

bluesbro

I may be the only one here with this opinion, but "Blue Hour" puts me to sleep every time. Never made it through more that 2-3 cuts, at most. (Bonus disc too for the most part, though not as much as the first disc.)

You are not the only one here with that opinion. In general, I am somewhat mystified at the adulation showered on Turrentine here. I like him O.K., but he was not that interesting a player in my humble opinion. He was good, not great. He gets a lot more love on this forum than many more significant artists, again in my humble opinion. I know that many do not agree with me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's Where It's At is WAAAAY up on the list too. I remember a conversation I had years ago with a pianist who played in the one o'clock lab band at North Texas State.... I brought up Stanley Turrentine, and I'll always remember the guy said, "Well, we don't really consider him a jazz musician." That pretty much sealed the deal on my attitude towards many post 70's schooled jazz musicians. :rolleyes:

That's Where It's At is WAAAAY up on the list too. I remember a conversation I had years ago with a pianist who played in the one o'clock lab band at North Texas State.... I brought up Stanley Turrentine, and I'll always remember the guy said, "Well, we don't really consider him a jazz musician." That pretty much sealed the deal on my attitude towards many post 70's schooled jazz musicians. :rolleyes:

That's alright. Based on what I've heard by the One O'Clock Lab Band on KNTU, I don't consider them to be jazz musicians, either.

OH yeah, and another BIG vote for That's Where It's At! Cool cover, smokin' tunes, another one you can't go wrong with!

Edited by Big Al

Just spun Rough N' Tumble BST 84240 (Stereo BN Liberty) with Blue Mitchell, James Spaulding, Pepper Adams, Grant Green, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw, Mickey Roker

I enjoy the album, but Turrentine's playing does bore me a little bit every now and then, so I hear what Rooster Ties and Hot Ptah are saying. He reminds me of a watered down Clifford Jordan on this session--still hot sometimes, though--especially with that supporting cast. Tyner is nice, of course.

main-205.jpg

I first noticed him on "Back at the Chicken Shack", then again several years later on his own "Up at Minton's", and then again a third time, a while later, on Reece's wonderful "Star Bright"!

Funny, his playing on "Star Bright" never caught my attention. :mellow:

yeah... I mixed it up with should have been Duke Jordan's wonderful "Flight to Jordan" (with Reece in the frontline) - my bad.

I first noticed him on "Back at the Chicken Shack", then again several years later on his own "Up at Minton's", and then again a third time, a while later, on Reece's wonderful "Star Bright"!

:rofl:

I think I first noticed him on Comin' On as well. The sessions with the Three Sounds are also par excellence.

A warm welcome to Dick Shurman - I'm assuming that's who you are - blues scholar, collector, producer, friend to numerous musicians. Hope you'll stick around and join the camaraderie.

Hey Dick,

there is also a Hammond Zone sub forum here! :excited: Great to see you in these here parts. :)

g

A warm welcome to Dick Shurman - I'm assuming that's who you are - blues scholar, collector, producer, friend to numerous musicians. Hope you'll stick around and join the camaraderie.

Busted (by a longtime Juke Blues subscriber), thanks. You left out "major organ freak." This looks like a nice place and excellent resource.

I think I first noticed him on Comin' On as well. The sessions with the Three Sounds are also par excellence.

ok ok, I don't get what's so hilarious about me mixing up two albums - or is that some kind of language joke that I don't get or what? <_<

My fave Stanley leader or co-leader albums are (alphabetical order)

Don't mess with Mr T - CTI

Hip soul - Prestige

Hustlin' - BN

Ruff n tumble - BN

Sugar - CTI

That's where it's at - BN

ZT's blues - BN (which I think is my all time favourite)

Fave sideman dates would be

Gene Harris trio plus one - Concord Jazz

Les McCann in New York - PJ (with FRANK HAYNES & Blue Mitchell - I mean, really)

Horace Parlan - On the spur of the moment - BN

Horace Silver - Serenade to a soul sister - BN

Jimmy Smith - Midnight special/Back at the Chicken Shack - BN

Jimmy Smith - The fourmost/The fourmost return - Milestone

Favourite individual track is "Think", from "Soul song" - Atlantic (nominally led by Shirley).

MG

ok ok, I don't get what's so hilarious about me mixing up two albums - or is that some kind of language joke that I don't get or what? <_<

Chuck just made the comment that he didn't notice Stanley's playing on SB because he's not on that album; Hank Mobley is. It was Chuck's comment that was funny, not your confusion. At least, that's how I read it.

Another big favorite by this "not a jazz musican" ( :wacko:) is "Back at the Chicken Shack". Glad it was mentioned above. That was my intro to Jimmy Smith, and one of the first albums by Stanley that I ever heard. Stan is heavily featured, and he goes very well with Smith and Kenny Burrell, making it by far my favorite Smith album. I like it way more than "The Sermon".

Here's another indication of the stature and power of Stan. On September 4, 1964, he recorded with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones, then of course in their forceful prime as Trane's rhythm section. (Session later released as "Mr Natural", BN LT 1075). The liner note writer pointed out how Stan made them sound different and conform to what he was doing. Yes, this attests to the professionalism and versatility of Tyner and Jones, but nevertheless the writer had a point. Would YOU like to have stepped in front of them at that time and made them sound very different? Elvin, especially, changes.

Here's another indication of the stature and power of Stan. On September 4, 1964, he recorded with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones, then of course in their forceful prime as Trane's rhythm section. (Session later released as "Mr Natural", BN LT 1075). The liner note writer pointed out how Stan made them sound different and conform to what he was doing. Yes, this attests to the professionalism and versatility of Tyner and Jones, but nevertheless the writer had a point. Would YOU like to have stepped in front of them at that time and made them sound very different? Elvin, especially, changes.

Good point! Grant Green recorded with them in May and June 1964 and DIDN'T make them sound different. (But maybe that was intentional - they did record "My favourite things" on "Matador" which was an incredibly brave thing to do, when you think about it.)

MG