Allman Bros.--Atlanta International Pop Fest.

jpmosu

Today (Oct. 21), this reissue is to be released. The AllMusic review is a rave. Wonder if anybody else here's curious like me. Here's the review in question:

---------

For the first time anywhere — officially or not — two (mostly) complete performances by the Allman Brothers at the Atlanta International Pop Festival over the Fourth of July weekend (they were the bookends of the fest) in 1970 have been issued with stellar sound, complete annotation and cool liner notes. The festival took place while the Allmans were in the process of recording their second album, Idlewild South, when they appeared on July 3 as the hometown openers of the entire festival and proceeded to blow the minds of over 100,000 people — for their last set on July 5 at 3:50 a.m. they performed in front of as many as 500,000. Musically, other than a somewhat stiff version of "Statesboro Blues," the July 3 set is magical. There is a stunning version of "Dreams" lasting almost ten minutes with beautiful Hammond/guitar interplay between Gregg and Dickey. In addition, the short (5:49) version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" gives the tune a rock & roll immediacy that is strained out of the longer versions to gain the improvisational edge. Long and ferocious versions of "Whipping Post" and "Mountain Jam" are here, but the track on the July 3 set is Berry Oakley's feral vocal read of Willie Dixon's "Hoochie Koochie Man." Disc one also restores Gregg Allman's "Every Hungry Woman," to its rightful place — previously only having been available on an anthology. Harp player Thom Doucette, no stranger to ABB fans, is here aplenty, adding his righteous, stinging harp lines to many tracks on both nights. The way Gregg's organ playing is recorded here offers a new view of just how integral an anchor he was for both guitarists to play off. He is a monster musician and, even at this early date, was showing off his improvisational and rhythmic skills.

Disc two is graced by the original live mixes of "Statesboro Blues" and "Whipping Post" that were released on First Great Rock Festivals of the Seventies and these are stunning for their intensity and focus, as well as clarity. "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" is as tough a set opener as there is with the ringing slide guitars attacking one another and going for broke to kick things off. The long versions of "Stormy Monday" and "'Liz Reed" are among the most intimate and groundbreaking the band ever recorded, while "Whipping Post" transmutes itself into a jazz tune for a few minutes and changes everything. The nearly half-hour "Mountain Jam" is deepened here by the addition of a third guitarist: Johnny Winter sits in with the ABB and Doucette for the definitive version of this classic — you can forget the one on Eat a Peach after this. While it won't replace Live at the Fillmore East as the greatest live record ever made, this is an essential purchase for ABB fans, one that gives us the treat of a dignified rendering of a very important and defining moment in the band's early career. It also provides an excellent, even mind-blowing introduction to a band that was at the peak of its power. — Thom Jurek

I picked this one up yesterday and so far, it's everthing AMG said it was and more. I've only been able to listen to the first disc, but to these ears, it's the best sounding live Allman Brothers I've heard, and that includes the legendary Fillmore East recordings. Greg Allman has never sounded better either vocally or instrumentally...his B-3 is right up front and sounds terrific. Their version of "Dreams" from the first set is one of the best things I've heard in a long time.

This really makes me remember a year like 1970 and how great it was to be young and foolish and knee deep in music. Rock the way it's supposed to be. Highly recommended.

Up over and out.

I agree with Dave James on this one. I picked it up and am loving it. Somewhere I read that this set won't replace the Fillmore set as the greatest live rock concert ever recorded, but this set is definitely not inferior. ABB fans will love it.

One thing though, the liner notes say that Johnny Winter guest stars on one track (Mountain Jam- second day) but I can't discern that he took any solos.

it's the best sounding live Allman Brothers I've heard,

Most of the CD transfers I've heard of the Allman Brothers are atrocious. The best live recording I've heard is the vinyl version of Live At The Fillmore. I have a vintage version, however, I noticed that Classic Records (I think it was Classic Records?) has just released this on 200g vinyl. Do yourself a favor, check this one out on vinyl. The difference is night and day, over the very best CD remaster.

Greg Allman has never sounded better either vocally or instrumentally...his B-3 is right up front and sounds terrific. Their version of "Dreams" from the first set is one of the best things I've heard in a long time.

Amen.

I picked this up yesterday, and I just keep listening to the first disk--"Dreams," in particular.

I had forgotten what a great singer Gregg Allman can be. If you have any interest in blues/rock, this is a must have.

Just to add to what everyone else is saying: This is great music. The band is so on it's great to listen to. I haven't listened to ABB in about five years, and when I put the first cd in, a wave of emotion knocked me flat. ABB are one of those bands that their music is enblazened in my mind, that how often I istened to them at one point in my life. A soundtrack to so many events in my life, I'm still kind of dazed by the whole experience. This just great music by one of the greatest rock bands ever. Greg Allman's B-3 organ in out in front, where it should be; Oakley has a great solo during dreams; Betts is hot; Duane, of course, is beyond description. Music lost a great and powerfull artist when he left us. You old timers will like this part -- when the base solo started during "Mountain Jam", I caught myself getting off my seat to put on the other lp to continue it. Lp muscle memory at work!

One thing though, the liner notes say that Johnny Winter guest stars on one track (Mountain Jam- second day) but I can't discern that he took any solos.

To my ears, Winter does a lot of unison lines with Dicky Betts in "Mountain Jam". Doesn't sound like he's playing slide. However, I keep hearing a guitar that is off-mike throughout MJ, I wonder if that's Winter.

Edited by Matthew

If you haven't all ready, you should check out the latest incarnation of the ABB. Their latest DVD "Live At The Beacon Theatre" is quite good. Just came out about 2 weeks ago. Dereks Trucks and Warren Haynes are great players who play together wonderfully. They really embody the spirit of the original guitar line up. Of course, there not the same players as Duane and Dickey but they are both full of surprises, and always impress. Gregg of course is in fine form. This latest band is really something to see and hear. Also highly recomended, The Derek Trucks Band album "Joyful Noise" which is a surprisingly coherent album with latin, gospel, jazz, blues, and world music influences.

I'm glad to see that there are some ABB fans on this board. They are one of the very few non-jazz bands/artists I listen to on a regular basis. I've got this hair-brained theory that Derek Trucks might be an artist that really helps popularize jazz again. This guy is something special. He regularly quotes Shorter and Coltrane in his solos! He's not your average slide player in a blues-based rock band. Mark my words!!!!! ;)

Edited by Sundog

If you haven't all ready, you should check out the latest incarnation of the ABB. Their latest DVD "Live At The Beacon Theatre" is quite good. Just came out about 2 weeks ago. Dereks Trucks and Warren Haynes are great players who play together wonderfully. They really embody the spirit of the original guitar line up. Of course, there not the same players as Duane and Dickey but they are both full of surprises, and always impress. Gregg of course is in fine form. This latest band is really something to see and hear. Also highly recomended, The Derek Trucks Band album "Joyful Noise" which is a surprisingly coherent album with latin, gospel, jazz, blues, and world music influences.

I'm glad to see that there are some ABB fans on this board. They are one of the very few non-jazz bands/artists I listen to on a regular basis. I've got this hair-brained theory that Derek Trucks might be an artist that really helps popularize jazz again. This guy is something special. He regularly quotes Shorter and Coltrane in his solos! He's not your average slide player in a blues-based rock band. Mark my words!!!!! ;)

I've always considered the Allmans special, not just any ordinary Southern or blues band. I hate, CRINGE, when people compare them or lump them with Skynyrd, etc. The Bros. were much more than that. The jazz strains in their music, at least in the beginning with Duane (I haven't heard the latest incarnation) were obvious and vital

I have the DVD but really need to check it out again. I dig what Derek plays, I like him better with the Allmans. The material his band his band uses is kinda weak IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen at least 3 different versions of "At the Fillmore."  Assuming I can't go for vinyl, is the "Deluxe" 2 CD version of the Fillmore Concerts the one to get?

Probably so. I'm still on well worn vinyl for Fillmore and I found the Duane anthologies used long ago. Eat A Peach I never had on vinyl as I didn't want to have to flip (or was it stack on the spindle?) to hear "Mountain Jam" uninterupted so the CD was a real treat!

Anyway, the Deluxe version adds Fillmore songs from all of the above plus a song from a box set, and I think the last time Fillmore was remastered was 10+ years ago. So I reckon when it comes time to replace my vinyl I'll go with the deluxe, though if I'm pokey I'm sure there will be a new format down the pike.

I still have to pick up Atlanta!

A little blurb about how the release is constructed can be found at this Allman site.

Another thumbs up for Atlanta!

Regarding, Fillmore I pretty much agree with these commenst (don't remember their source):

Allman Brothers 'At Fillmore East' DELUXE EDITION, 13 total tracks on 2CD's, 2003. You've probably noticed that there are at least two other versions of the ABB March 1971 gigs at the Fillmore East. So how is this one different? First, be aware that there are NO previously unreleased tracks (including the fact that there are no alternate versions, taken from different shows). This version contains the entire original AT FILLMORE EAST album from July 1971 (still available in a one-disc edition). Specifically, I mean these are the EXACT same performances (and mix, I believe) featured on the original. Of course, this new set adds the extra Fillmore material that was later released on EAT A PEACH, DUANE ALLMAN AN ANTHOLOGY 1 & 2, and the DREAMS box set. Again, these are all the exact same versions of these songs. At first glance, the new "Deluxe Edition" looks similar to 1992's THE FILLMORE CONCERTS, with the notable addition of "Midnight Rider," taken from ANTHOLOGY 2. However, THE FILLMORE CONCERTS contains several alternate versions of songs, and is completely remixed (controversial among fans, but provides an interesting comparison). These alternate versions are not available elsewhere, though this may be an issue only for fanatics like myself. THE FILLMORE CONCERTS also had the benefit of original producer Tom Dowd, who recently died. I have a few problems with the new "Deluxe Edition." First, the edits are shoddy. In some places, attempts are made to mix the songs together without the fade-outs between songs. In other places, the fade-outs are intact. I can't figure out this inconsistency. It seems like laziness to me, as if they just crammed together the existing mixes of the songs. Additionally, Dave Thompson's essay doesn't offer any new information, and seems rather short and lightweight. It's hard to not see the "Deluxe Edition" as some sort of cash-cow for the record company. What are the pros? The photographs are fantastic. The prints of the front and back album cover are the best I have seen. Again, most of these photos can be seen elsewhere, but the prints are excellent. Aside from the price, I like that this gives an ABB neophyte the opportunity to hear all the songs together. After all, the performances left of the original LP are some of the finest of their career. This new "Deluxe Version" of AT FILLMORE EAST is great for new fans and will be my recommendation when asked which Allman Brothers album to purchase first. For hardcore fans who have this material already, I think you will be let down overall. Those fans should pick up THE FILLMORE CONCERTS for a fresher perspective on these recordings. With five Fillmore shows on tape in the vaults, what the record company should have done was release each show, fully intact, perhaps in a box set. That would truly be a deluxe edition, but it would require much more work than was put into THIS set. So it gets knocked down to four stars for that reason