Oscar Peterson Mosaic is available for preorder

Ron S

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clicked on the link you posted but the Oscar Peterson set didn't show up.

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel told me last Monday (8/11) that the set would not be up for pre-order until some time next week.

Link works for me. Are any you guys familiar with this stuff? The samples sound great.

Tried again and it works for me now too.

I found this statement odd. "Today- less than two years after his death- is a great time to reflect on the music that first attracted attention and cemented this piano master's reputation."

Why the two year time frame? True it is less than two years, but in fact right now, it is less than eight months since OP died. Dec. 23, 2007. It's as if the person who wrote the promo only had a vague idea of his date of death.

I found this statement odd. "Today- less than two years after his death- is a great time to reflect on the music that first attracted attention and cemented this piano master's reputation."

Why the two year time frame? True it is less than two years, but in fact right now, it is less than eight months since OP died. Dec. 23, 2007. It's as if the person who wrote the promo only had a vague idea of his date of death.

That is a very odd way to make web & catalog copy last longer. Perhaps it's also a hint as to when it will time out. :lol:

Does anyone know what the "most successful" Mosaic set was? That is, which one sold out, and in the shortest period, resulting in the most revenue in the shortest period of time?

I think Ubu is right and OP should attract a lot of attention from folks who aren't quite as "hard core" as the typical Mosaic buyer. So this OP set may go "running low" a lot faster than the average set that reaches that status.

Does anyone know what the "most successful" Mosaic set was? That is, which one sold out, and in the shortest period, resulting in the most revenue in the shortest period of time?

I think Ubu is right and OP should attract a lot of attention from folks who aren't quite as "hard core" as the typical Mosaic buyer. So this OP set may go "running low" a lot faster than the average set that reaches that status.

What is a "hard core" Mosaic buyer? I've got a ton of Mosaics, and have musical tastes which are all over the map. Yet, I'm definitely into purchasing this set.

I am tempted, strongly tempted. I know I shouldn't, but I want to.... :unsure:

Ok, so if I preorder, I won't be paying until September or maybe even October....my birthday is in October, sure to get a little cash..., oh man, the rationilizations...and the samples sound very good....but I really want the TA/LT Select, too....

Edited by John Tapscott

What is a "hard core" Mosaic buyer? I've got a ton of Mosaics, and have musical tastes which are all over the map. Yet, I'm definitely into purchasing this set.

I don't know, maybe 60-90% of the people who filled the concert halls that he performed in for the last decades of his life would not be hardcore Mosaic buyers? My point is that if Mosaic captures a fraction of that, this set will be exceptionally successful for them.

I am tempted, strongly tempted. I know I shouldn't, but I want to.... :unsure:

Ok, so if I preorder, I won't be paying until September or maybe even October....my birthday is in October, sure to get a little cash..., oh man, the rationilizations...and the samples sound very good....but I really want the TA/LT Select, too....

Don't worry, Mosaic's Scott Wenzel told me the Akiyoshi/Tabackin Select won't be available for pre-order until mid-September at the earliest and it's scheduled for release in October :)

Anyone else notice that with the OP set, they've jumped from #239 (Lester Young) to #241? What's up with that? :blink:

Simple explanation: set #240 will be released later. As noted in a separate thread I started a while ago a few sets are still in preparation (Braxton, Goodman).

Edited by J.A.W.

Anyone else notice that with the OP set, they've jumped from #239 (Lester Young) to #241? What's up with that? :blink:

Simple explanation: set #240 will be released later. As noted in a separate thread I started a while ago a few sets are still in preparation (Braxton, Goodman).

Understood. But normally they're numbered in the order in which they're released. I guess #240 (Braxton or Goodman) was delayed beyond the originally anticipated release date.

Understood. But normally they're numbered in the order in which they're released. I guess #240 (Braxton or Goodman) was delayed beyond the originally anticipated release date.

This has happened a few times before.

Same here , but i'm waiting for those to come out

The Complete Arista Recordings Of Anthony Braxton (8 CDs)

Classic Columbia Benny Goodman Orchestra Sessions (1939-1958) (7 CDs)

MOSAIC SELECT:

Toshiko Akiyoshi -Lew Tabackin Big Band (3 CDs)

... and save on the shipping fees by ordering them all at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... any feedback on how this set sounds?

I've only listened to disc 1 so far and, considering the age of the recordings and the fact that some tracks were taken from 78s and LPs because there were no tape sources, to my ears it sounds pretty good. The tape transfers were done by Ellen Fitton, the disc transfers by Malcolm Addey, Dr Michael Arie and Mark Wilder and the set was mastered by Malcolm Addey.

Edited by J.A.W.