Oscar Peterson Mosaic is available for preorder

Ron S

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much agree with Jazzbo in post #46, and go a step further: look at a Mosaic as a "new original".

The liner notes are new, usually better-written with more accurate and impartial information, and certainly less puffery than many of the LPs. Certainly more accurate discographical information, and Mosaics include rare session photos, and alternative/unissued tracks. (They could work on the copy-editing though -- too many spelling errors and typos).

The booklets are darn near LP size, something Collectables and Fresh Sound don't offer. And, the main thing is the music anyway, at least for me.

My copy of the Peterson arrived last week, and I'm slowly working my way through it, with no duds yet. OP, Barney and Ray were wonderful individuals, but remember it was the Oscar Peterson Trio, and what a great group it was!

And there are many,many,many people (well, when it comes to jazz I better leave off two of those "manys") who love the music regardless of what the cover art looks like. Everyone has the right to have a preference. Attacking a company or individual as jiveass or fraudulent for having another preference or priority in presenting the music is very hard to understand.

And there are many,many,many people (well, when it comes to jazz I better leave off two of those "manys") who love the music regardless of what the cover art looks like. Everyone has the right to have a preference. Attacking a company or individual as jiveass or fraudulent for having another preference or priority in presenting the music is very hard to understand.

As a part of the (small) intended audience for these releases, I have every right to criticize what I perceive as bad creative decisions on the part of the manufacturer. And I choose not to buy. Big deal.

Why do any of you care? I'm not urging a boycott against the company. These are limited edition releases, and you have one fewer person to bid against when these things show up on eBay.

Amen....

If you choose 'not to care', and admit to 'not wanting to buy', why are you even on this thread?

Also, cover art is pretty easily accessible if you have an... oh, internet connection.

Sure, the resolution may not be great, and the scans may be poor, but its not as if you're picking up stone mint originals at the thrifts, so... :rolleyes:

Edited by adhoc

The liner notes are new, usually better-written with more accurate and impartial information, and certainly less puffery than many of the LPs.

Jeez, quoting myself, but only to add something I ran across this afternoon...

In Gene Lees' OP biography he quotes Whitney Balliett from a 1954 Saturday Review article "Pandemonium Pays Off" about the JATP tours, and the Clef/Norgran output.

"Granz officiates at every recording date, and ominously announces this fact on every record label and record sleeve with, respectively, the words 'Recorded under the Personal Supervision of Norman Granz' and 'Supervised by Norman Granz'. He also composes all the liner notes for his albums, which have become noted for barrages of adjectives and their lack of information."

Mosaics certainly update and add to the information lacking on past issues, creating as I think, new 'originals'.

The crazy completist in me wishes he could have both the original cover art AND the original liners. Especially in the case of the latter, those are sometimes both insightful and interesting. That said, I understand and accept that Mosaic probably couldn't afford to put out nearly as many sets as it does if it had to license that material AND print it in color, especially in large format.

As for the O.P. box, I'll end up getting it. Just haven't yet. I wonder if Mosaic didn't issue it in part to make a bit more money. O.P. is a more popular artist than some, and maybe he could help the bottom line? I'm not dissing the music, by the way. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

In that vein, perhaps someone who has it could offer us a review?

Greg Mo

Posts ##25 and 26 contain initial impressions from two owners. I really don't have much to add. I've enjoyed the EPs and LPs of this material, and they sound wonderful here in this box set. The annotation is very good. If you are not an OP hater, and if you really like piano/guitar/bass trios, this is a set to enjoy.

The crazy completist in me wishes he could have both the original cover art AND the original liners. Especially in the case of the latter, those are sometimes both insightful and interesting. That said, I understand and accept that Mosaic probably couldn't afford to put out nearly as many sets as it does if it had to license that material AND print it in color, especially in large format.

As for the O.P. box, I'll end up getting it. Just haven't yet. I wonder if Mosaic didn't issue it in part to make a bit more money. O.P. is a more popular artist than some, and maybe he could help the bottom line? I'm not dissing the music, by the way. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

In that vein, perhaps someone who has it could offer us a review?

Greg Mo

I'm with Greg Mo here!

I really wish the original cover art would also be included (as in the Mosaic Selects). But of course I still love the music just as much without covers.

A lot of those old covers were really really nice to look at (and read).

/Shaft

Hi again,

Just put in an order for the Peterson Mosaic. Looking forward to this one very much. Have a lot of his stuff already but you know how it is ;-)

Listening to the complete London house just made me clicka that order button :D

/Shaft

I have this set on order, too. (it's waiting to ship when the Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin set is released. I also would love to have the original cover art with mosaic sets. Both for the aesthetic properties, and for the more practical reason that, if I knew the covers, I might not re-buy the music on a reissue, forgetting I had it as part of the set ^_^

Perhaps someone could start a thread for each mosaic set that would contain scans of all the covers!

I have this set on order, too. (it's waiting to ship when the Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin set is released. I also would love to have the original cover art with mosaic sets. Both for the aesthetic properties, and for the more practical reason that, if I knew the covers, I might not re-buy the music on a reissue, forgetting I had it as part of the set ^_^

It's comforting somehow to know I'm not the only one who does that now and then!

Greg Mo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...