Oscar Peterson Mosaic is available for preorder

Ron S

do you have any info whatsoever if this is another one of those quick-shot labels (I don't know them) with shoddy sound, noise reduction, compression, etc.?

The set looks good and seems professionally conceived. A look at the other items from the Coda catalogue shows it is a serious operation.

Thanks, Guy.

Ordered it from Amazon.fr. for 30 something Euro; much cheaper than from the label itself.

:)

Hope you'll let us know what you think of it!

gregmo

Shall do.

:)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the reported content of the Coda 4CD set, all by the Oscar Peterson Trio

- Carnegie Hall, September 13, 1952

- Carnegie Hall, September 19, 1953

- Hartford, September 17, 1954

- Chicago Opera House, October 2, 1955

- Stratford, August 7, 1956

- Hollywood Bowl, August 15, 1956

- Newport, July 7, 1957

- Chicago Opera House, September 29, 1957 (aka 'at the Concertgebouw')

- LA Shrine Auditorium, October 9, 1957 (aka 'at te Opera House')

- Toronto Town Tavern, July 5, 1958 (aka 'On the Town')

32€ from France to Switzerland :)

There is a good offer on Marketplace, too, and Priceminister may also be cheaper, depending on where you order from!

Giving it a shot, looks good - although with the Opera House, Stratford and On the Town discs, almost two thirds will already be in my collection, I think.

32€ from France to Switzerland :)

There is a good offer on Marketplace, too, and Priceminister may also be cheaper, depending on where you order from!

Giving it a shot, looks good - although with the Opera House, Stratford and On the Town discs, almost two thirds will already be in my collection, I think.

Yeah, same here.

We're weird.

Just hope it'll come through... it's not listed too promisingly on amazon.fr (delivery within 1-3 weeks) - guess we'll see.

When I bought mine is was listed as the last one.

I guess they have to re-stock.

I didn't even pay attention when I ordered... but as it's new, I guess with a little patience, I'll be fine.

And of course there's no need for rush anyway!

I bought 25 of these and when they are no longer available I will re-sell them to the growing contingent of OP fans for $10,000 a box, cash only.

Start lining up, boys - my daughter's going to college next year. Baby needs books.

Given the price of college textbooks, $10 large should pay for about...one!

gregmo

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is in cardboard boxes nowadays. Won't be able to listen until later this week. No time right now.

Edit: Oh, and the CDs are a gimmicky black, top and bottom!

hum, it's back in stock though much more expensive... my order is still open as it's been since I put it in... do the suckers try to sell off the remaining copies at the higher price first, before filling my order? :blink:

I don't love OP but I will buy the euromosaic next time the price hovers around my designated price point.

I guess that was the last of the euromosaics? We did pretty well out of those, I thought.

PS I have no idea about sound as I haven't heard it but this Songbooks etc set on amazon.co.uk and elsewhere looks like a plausible purchase.

Edited by David Ayers

I don't love OP but I will buy the euromosaic next time the price hovers around my designated price point.

I guess that was the last of the euromosaics? We did pretty well out of those, I thought.

PS I have no idea about sound as I haven't heard it but this Songbooks etc set on amazon.co.uk and elsewhere looks like a plausible purchase.

I went for two instead... the first with the Kessel/Ellis & Brown Songbooks, the second with the Brown & Thigpens, the second being official and from Universal Canada and very nice!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Songbooks-Oscar-Peterson/dp/B000SFP7I2/ref=sr_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291806077&sr=1-13

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Songbooks-Oscar-Peterson/dp/B00284G370/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291806140&sr=1-14

They both should be around cheaper (or were at least considerably cheaper when I got them)

I went for two instead... the first with the Kessel/Ellis & Brown Songbooks, the second with the Brown & Thigpens, the second being official and from Universal Canada and very nice!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Songbooks-Oscar-Peterson/dp/B000SFP7I2/ref=sr_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291806077&sr=1-13

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Songbooks-Oscar-Peterson/dp/B00284G370/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291806140&sr=1-14

They both should be around cheaper (or were at least considerably cheaper when I got them)

Hm yes - I'd likely enjoy both of those, if the price were right... The Songbooks set is certainly inexpensive as a download...

David, we all bought it from an outlet called Grigorian back when it came out. They still have it, shipping may be a bit steep but the price is right:

http://www.grigorian.com/webstore/view.php?iid=353291

Earlier thread about it here:

The red one with the earlier songbooks (lots of overlap with the Mosaic, but it also contains the Count Basie album with a drummer added and has the missing bits from the trio with Ellis in for Kessel... it seems to be OOP, but some acceptable offers can be found on german Amazon's marketplace.

David, we all bought it from an outlet called Grigorian back when it came out. They still have it, shipping may be a bit steep but the price is right:

http://www.grigorian.com/webstore/view.php?iid=353291

Earlier thread about it here:

The red one with the earlier songbooks (lots of overlap with the Mosaic, but it also contains the Count Basie album with a drummer added and has the missing bits from the trio with Ellis in for Kessel... it seems to be OOP, but some acceptable offers can be found on german Amazon's marketplace.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is in cardboard boxes nowadays. Won't be able to listen until later this week. No time right now.

Edit: Oh, and the CDs are a gimmicky black, top and bottom!

Ok, I got the box finally... bit of a letdown. LOTS of duplication (more than I expected, but I guess I should have checked more closely).

Here's a quick rundown I made for my own use:

CD1 #1-5: from JATP Vol. 15 (Mercury MG Vol. 15)

CD1 #6-10: from JATP Vol. 16 (Clef MG Vol. 16)

CD1 #11-14: from JATP Vol. 17 (Clef MG Vol. 17)

CD1 #15-17 + CD2 #1-2: JATP Vol. 18 (Clef MG Vol. 18)

CD2 #3-11: from OP Trio at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival (Verve MGV 8024) *

CD3 #1-2: from Jazz at the Hollywood Bowl (Verve MGV 8231-2) **

CD3 #3-6: from OP Trio with Roy Eldridge, Sonny Stitt and Joe Jones at Newport (Verve MGV 8239) ***

CD3 #7-14: from OP Trio at the Concertgebouw (Verve MGV 8268)

CD4 #1-5: MJQ and OP3 at the Opera House (Verve MGV 8269)

CD4 #6-12: from On the Town with the OP3 (Verve MGV 8287) ****

CD4 #13-14: studio session, from "The Golden Striker" (Verve EPV 5088) *****

*) the 4CD box does NOT contain the two bonus tracks from the 1993 CD

**) OP also accompanied the opening jam set (with Sweets, Eldridge, Jacquet, Phillips and Buddy Rich) - not included

***) only the trio half is included

****) the CD from 2001 contains loads of bonus tracks - not included in the 4CD set

*****) the EP also contained two cuts from the 1955 session for "OP Plays Count Basie"

Hence just the JATP stuff (CD1 and CD2#1-2), the Hollywood Bowl cuts (CD3#1-2) and the bonus (CD4#13-14) is really new to me. All the rest is available on Verve CDs.

In addition, I'm sorry, but I have doubts about the legitimacy of this release... it looks cheaply done - same one photo on the box, the booklet, the four discs... crappy photos in the booklet, look like 7-pixel-screenshots off an old b/w tv... very crappy liner notes, just quickly running down the origins and development of the OP trio.

But then I have no way to know who this Compagnie de Droits Audiovisuels (in short: Coda) really is.

A bit of hackjob, the whole thing... and for what it is and what comparable release tend to cost these days, 25€ or maybe 30€ is the maximum I'd spend on this (the price on amazon.fr is going up and down, it seems).

• 8 months later...