Your Next Mosaic

I'd like to know what Mosaic folks are considering next. But first, I need some advice. I have my eye on these three items for my next purchase. I need to select one of the three.

1. Lester Young, County Basie Sessions 1936 - 1940

2. Bix Beiderbecke Complete OKeh

3. Dizzy Gillespie Verve-Philips Small Group Sessions

I'm leaning toward the Gillespie small groups right now, but if anyone has any or all of these, I'd appreciate some input. Thanks.

------------

Now, your next Mosaic purchase is ? .......

I suspect the Beiderbecke will be on the 'Running Low' list in the not too distant future - based on age of the set. That's one of the reason I've currently got it on order (as well as the great reports of the music quality and Mosaic's production that I've heard). The Gillespie is a good set by the way - although there have been mixed reports on this site for it, it is a good listen.

I have the Young and Gillespie sets and like them both a lot. I had much more of the Young material, so it was a harder decision to get the Young set, but I did anyway based on the improved sound. I guess I do listen to this set a bit more than the Gillespie, but both are good.

I have all three sets. . .I like the Gillespie least, but it's not the strongest Diz material, and I'm a big fan of early jazz so the Bix is wonderful for me (I have almost all the material elsewhere as well). The Pres set. . . I'll reach for it much more often than the Diz (and I have all the material previouslly released on this one as well, and love how here it is all together in uniformly wonderful sound.

My next Mosaic is the OP Trio one, then the Akiyosha-Tabackin Orchestra one. I have all the in print sets.

I have all three sets. . .I like the Gillespie least, but it's not the strongest Diz material, and I'm a big fan of early jazz so the Bix is wonderful for me (I have almost all the material elsewhere as well). The Pres set. . . I'll reach for it much more often than the Diz (and I have all the material previouslly released on this one as well, and love how here it is all together in uniformly wonderful sound.

My next Mosaic is the OP Trio one, then the Akiyosha-Tabackin Orchestra one. I have all the in print sets.

So jazzbo, does that mean you're gonna pick up the Braxton? :g

Another discussion about the next Mosaic set.

Thank you B. Goren. I looked around a bit and missed that thread. Maybe an administrator can merge the two?

As to my request for input, from the first responses here, it sounds like the order of preference might be Bix, Young, Diz, with Bix getting a slight nod over Young due to the likelihood that it will go OOP sooner. I notice the Lester Young is on back order.

Another discussion about the next Mosaic set.

Thank you B. Goren. I looked around a bit and missed that thread. Maybe an administrator can merge the two?

As to my request for input, from the first responses here, it sounds like the order of preference might be Bix, Young, Diz, with Bix getting a slight nod over Young due to the likelihood that it will go OOP sooner. I notice the Lester Young is on back order.

I would say Lester, Dizzy, then Bix.

Unless you are really a fan of '20s jazz over modern jazz and swing, you will find that the best material with Bix is really great, but that his playing declines towards the end and the material without Bix is far less enthralling.

There's better Diz available. But there's worse.

I can get enough of Bix. Nothing wrong with him, but I "get it" and that's that.

But I can never get enough Prez. Ever. Some of the stuff on this Mosaic I've been jammin' for 35 or so years, and it still rocks my world like none other.

So I would say to get the Gerald Wilson.