2008 Down Beat Readers Poll now online

The hell Zappa and Hendrix doing in the Downbeat HOF?

The Hendrix election caused a serious (and seriously prolonged) crisis of uproar in the DB letters to the editor pages (aka Chords and Discords) when it happened. Pretty sure that Larry was still with the magazine then, maybe he has some recollections. By the time Zappa got in, the climate had changed considerably and not too may people freaked out, Zappa having been a regular in the pages of DB for the better part of his career.

Then again, iirc, the first member of the DB HOF voted in by readers was Glenn Miller. So hey.

thanks, GA. definitely had to do some "write-ins".

Me too, Valerie.

Also, there were a number of categories that I wasn't sure of who did what in the past year. I guess I haven't been in touch the past year as much as I have been. Mostly I listen to Sirius, and they don't play much new music.

DB has been promoting itself as Jazz, Blues & Beyond for some time. But I don't subscribe to jazz magazines to read about some douche bag like Prince. Leave that for Entertainment Weekly readers, Rolling Stone and other publications of no interest to me. One of the many reasons I canceled my subscription some time ago.

Overlooking the gratuitous insult of the purple one (I'm no fan, but I don't see the point in this context)...I'd like to encourage everyone here who's even thinking of voting in this poll to consider Ray Charles for the HOF. "Jazz, blues & beyond"; he's certainly all that...and a bag of chips!

i thought he was already inducted, no?!?

Valerie,

I certainly woulda thought so but, unless I'm having a major brain glitch, no. Maybe that assumption that he shoulda been inducted years ago accounts for him not being in...?

dana

maybe someone who has not voted yet can clarify that for us as once you vote, you can't go in again and look at the list of previous honorees.

I seems strange that they don't display the Hall of Fame on their webpage, but it can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_Beat#Dow...zz_Hall_of_Fame

A pretty good list of authorised masters, that.

I note with surprise, however, the absence of

Griff

Jaws

Jug

Sonny

Vonski

Illinois Jacquet

Fred Anderson

Pharoah

And am flabbergasted by the fact that there's no mention of

The Blackbyrds

Funk Inc

Billy Larkin & the Delegates

Fred Wesley & the JB's

MG

Fortunately I can just pop next door to the library to check out this magazine.

And I just placed my vote on line.

:excl:

I thought you had to be a subscriber.

MG

No, anyone can vote. Down Beat has always placed its magazines on newsstands, and the ballots are just in the copies of the magazines. There has never been a limitation on who can vote.