favorite Black & White films (in part because they're B&W)

OK, I just stumbled on this...

link: Our 8 Favorite Movies That Are In Black And White Even Though Color Was Available

Which also gives me an excuse to start this thread, AND to ask this question...

Does anybody remember an art-house movie from about 12-15 years ago, in Black & White, about a pair of twins who were separated at birth, one having a rather poor ($) working-class upbringing, and the other having an uber-rich, multi-millionaire type upbringing. And if my vague memory is right, when the poor twin discovers the rich twin (after they’re both adults), the poor twin sets out to murder his rich brother -- and then take his place (after all, they are twins, and identical twins at that), impersonating him.

OK, so far, so good. Thing is, the actors who play the roles of the twins (who are 'identical' remember), one of the actors is White, and the other is Black (and I'm talkin' a "Miles Davis" shade of black, at that). Other characters in the movie who discover that they're brothers are "astounded at the resemblance" -- even though one of the actors is lily white, and the other back as night.

Can anyone here remember such a movie (it may have been British), or does someone with better Google-fu want to take a crack at it??

It was SUCH a cool movie (and so incredibly well shot), I'd love to try and rent it sometime -- if it's ever been reissued on DVD.

The film is Suture

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108260/

There are a great array of Japanese Cinemascope B&W films - more than I can list.

Persona

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In keeping with the jazz theme of this board, Shadows. I probably saw it 5 times the week it showed up my freshman year.

How about,, then

The Connection (Shirley Clarke, from play by Jack Gelber)

The Cool World

Also one I just saw, getting a limited theatrical release currently, and coming soon to DVD:

The Exiles (1961)

Killer of Sheep

"Since color became available"? Color has been "available" since the 1930's...so what are we talking about here?

"The color era"? What is this? Color movies became common in Hollywood in the 1950's. But then there was a brief period of producing prestige pictures in B&W in the first half of the 1960's because they figured the films would look better on TV (which was then overwhelmingly B&W) because Hollywood had finally admitted that the TV aftermarket was where it's bread was buttered. When TV programs started being shot and broadcast in color, in the mid-60's, Hollywood dropped B&W like a hot potato and never looked back.

Exactly. Hence, the thread's concept brings to my mind "Paper Moon", not "Citizen Kane".

I read somewhere that the director of In Cold Blood really fought to have it filmed in B&W, which the studio was very much against. Got to hand it to him. Still, admirable as it is in many ways, I somehow find it a hard film to like, and impossible to love.

The Elephant Man (1980) is another B&W island in the color ocean.