*** Trombone Corner ***

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a photo that I took of a unknown trombonist in Mercer Ellington's band.

463646577_9d7cb3810d.jpg

Appears to be a bass trombone. Chuck Connors, perhaps?

No, it's not Chuck Connors. It's hard to tell from this dark photo.

He was a ypung guy, like most of the people in the band,

Here's another of him:

432651968_5b6718f62a.jpg

Shame on all of you for no mention of Dickie Wells. :mellow:

Mentioned in posts #29 and #32 by Mssrs. Sangrey and Tapscott, respectively.

Most of the greats have been included already, but there are some (all greatly admired by yours truly) who haven't yet been mentioned:

Jack Jenney (famous for his solo on Stardust w/Artie Shaw, acknowleged influence of JJ and Fontana)

Vic Dickenson

Trummy Young

Willie Dennis

Hal Crook

Tommy Turk

Eddie Bert

Butter Burgess

Britt Woodman

Quentin Jackson

.....and don't forget our esteemed board member Greg Waits!

EDIT: Holy crap, I just realized no one's mentioned SLIDE HAMPTON yet! One of the greats for sure........

Edited by Free For All

Shame on all of you for no mention of Dickie Wells. :mellow:

Mentioned in posts #29 and #32 by Mssrs. Sangrey and Tapscott, respectively.

Most of the greats have been included already, but there are some (all greatly admired by yours truly) who haven't yet been mentioned:

Jack Jenney (famous for his solo on Stardust w/Artie Shaw, acknowleged influence of JJ and Fontana)

Vic Dickenson

Trummy Young

Willie Dennis

Hal Crook

Tommy Turk

Eddie Bert

Butter Burgess

Britt Woodman

Quentin Jackson

.....and don't forget our esteemed board member Greg Waits!

EDIT: Holy crap, I just realized no one's mentioned SLIDE HAMPTON yet! One of the greats for sure........

What about that McKee dude? Can he play his way out of a closet?

:crazy:

One of the glories of jazz is the tonal blend of trombone, trumpet, and tenor.... my favorite Messengers groups are the ones with Fuller, he fills out the ensemble in a way perfectly suited for that music.

Vic Dickenson is GREAT...his Vanguard recordings shouldn't be missed

340536-music-resized200.JPG

One of the glories of jazz is the tonal blend of trombone, trumpet, and tenor.... my favorite Messengers groups are the ones with Fuller, he fills out the ensemble in a way perfectly suited for that music.

Trombone and tenor, trombone and bari, trombone and alto flute- three of my favorite combinations.

Anyone mention Wayne Henderson? He had some chops back in the day ...

I was (and still am) a big WH fan. He was one of the first guys I checked out, and I played in a group in high school that played a bunch of Crusaders tunes. Wayne was a big time disciple of JJ (as most trombonists are) and had that big, fat sound that drew me in. I still listen to the Crusaders now and then. WH is a soulful MF! :tup

What any trombone player would find amazing about that is that Jack plays most of the solo in the first three postions, rarely using even fourth position.

Though there are many tromboinsts I admire greatly, I have to say that Jack and J.J. are the fountainheads.

It's also fascinating to compare the videos of Jack and Fontana. Their ease with the slide, and the fact that both play almost exclusively between first and fourth position is really striking. Two seamless masters at work.

No one has mentioned two of the earlier pioneers: Jimmy Harrison, whose ideas coincided with those of Teagarden but who died too early in 1931, and the legendary Fred Beckett, who recorded with Harlan Leonard and was regarded by J.J. Johnson as the first "modern" trombonist. I don't know if any of the Leonard sides with Beckett are available on cd. I have him on an ancient LP in the old RCA Victor Vintage series.

Greg Mo

Trombone and tenor, trombone and bari, trombone and alto flute- three of my favorite combinations.

bari, trombone and alto flute.......interesting; I'm drawing a blank on examples of this, any clues? Dolphy recordings maybe? Others?

Anyone mention Wayne Henderson? He had some chops back in the day ...

I was (and still am) a big WH fan. He was one of the first guys I checked out, and I played in a group in high school that played a bunch of Crusaders tunes. Wayne was a big time disciple of JJ (as most trombonists are) and had that big, fat sound that drew me in. I still listen to the Crusaders now and then. WH is a soulful MF! :tup

I bet Wayne has a closet! :rofl: