The Verve Mini-LP CDs

Shrdlu

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think of it as spirituality. Spirituality of its time, and timeless. . . . I think it is sincerely meant and about spiritual and metaphysical matters and ideas, and that makes it spiritual to me.

Amazing orchestrations!

Maybe you are right, Lon. Maybe one should see the whole trend to spirituality in those years as of its time, and yet meant true.

I remember now having read a chapter in a book of J.E. Behrendt on this topic. I shall look at that again, having in memory it was interesting.

About the orchestrations, you're certainly right! Amazing music, very textural, beautiful music!

ubu

Remember that Zweitausendeins has them only for two or three months, until they run out of stock. I pick up several, musically most are very good, e.g. the Billy Mitchell, Al Grey, Jimmy Giuffre, John Klemmer etc.

Only a few I still have to pick up: Alice Coltrane, Sonny Stitt, Sam Rivers - although I dislike those mini-Lps as they do not fit into my CD rack!

Scott, I don't intend to diss the music, and I found the disc surprisingly good, BUT: do you really think this is spirituality? To me, it sounded just very much of its time, and I really would not know if I could describe this music as spriritual.

ubu

What jazzbo (lonson) said. ;)

I listened to it this morning after reading your inquiry, ubu. Maybe not side 1(first two tracks are weird, to me), but side 2 is definitely a spiritual offering, Alice Coltrane style.

I loved it again! Especially with the subwoofer on! :wub: I can feel COSMIC vibrations! :alien:

Edited by Parkertown

Scott, I don't intend to diss the music, and I found the disc surprisingly good, BUT: do you really think this is spirituality? To me, it sounded just very much of its time, and I really would not know if I could describe this music as spriritual.

ubu

What jazzbo (lonson) said. ;)

I listened to it this morning after reading your inquiry, ubu. Maybe not side 1(first two tracks are weird, to me), but side 2 is definitely a spiritual offering, Alice Coltrane style.

I loved it again! Especially with the subwoofer on! :wub: I can feel COSMIC vibrations! :alien:

Yeah, COSMIC MUSIC!...

I got to listen to it sometimes around x-mas again...

ubu

David, they are not certainly going to disappear soon, it's just that I suspect this, based partly on what Universal's Ken Druker said about them pressing only one batch of each - enough, supposedly, to last until the expiry date printed on the wrappers. Plus, the expiry date on the first ones is getting closer.

On the subject of the sound on these, I was disappointed with the Steve Kuhn CD, after hearing several yummy Japanese CDs recently. It does not have much presence, but this may be the original engineering - who knows. I sure like the replica of the Impulse gatefold cover, though. The only ones where I can compare the remastering with that on other versions are "Equinox" (Japanese much better, what else is new) and the Mulligan at the Vanguard (Malcolm Addey's work, in the Mosaic set, is superior, though the mini LP one sounds quite good). In the case of the Mulligan, once again I like the gatefold cover, and I keep it in the Mosaic box. (That solves the storage problem, Mike. :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a list of the Verve Mini-LP discs currently available from BMG:

Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond, 1975: The Duets (A&M)

Oscar Peterson, Soul Espanol (Verve)

Stan Getz & The Cool Sounds (Verve)

Willie Bobo, A New Dimension (Verve)

Astrud Gilberto, The Shadow Of Your Smile (Verve)

Wes Montgomery, Willow Weep For Me (Verve)

Dizzy Gillespie, Afro (Verve)

Gerry Mulligan & CJB, At the Village Vanguard (Verve)

Count Basie, King of Swing (Clef)

Stan Kenton, The Formative Years (Decca)

Woody Herman, Woody 1963 (Philipps)

Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66, Equinox (A&M)

Anita O’Day, Incomparable (Verve)

Mel Tormé Goes South of The Border with Billy May (Verve)

Alice Coltrane, Universal Consciousness (Impulse!)

Archie Shepp, Attica Blues (Impulse!)

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges (Verve)

Phil Woods & His European Rhythm Machine At The Montreux Jazz Festival (MGM)

Stan Getz, Reflections (Verve)

Jimmy Giuffre, The Easy Way (Verve)

• 3 weeks later...

Two new batches are now listed at Verve's site:

3/9/04

Mel Brown - Chicken Fat (LPR) - Reissue - Impulse! Records

Clark Terry & Chico O'Farrill - Spanish Rice (LPR) - Reissue - Impulse! Records

Gloria Coleman - Soul Sisters (LPR) - Reissue - Impulse! Records

Yusef Lateef - The Golden Flute (LPR) - Reissue - Impulse! Records

Archie Shepp - The Cry Of My People (LPR) - Reissue - Verve Records

3/23/04

John Frigo - I Love John Frigo...He Swings (LPR) - Reissue - Verve Records

Roger Kellaway - Roger Kellaway Cello Quartet (LPR) - Reissue - A&M Jazz

Lyle Ritz - How About Uke (LPR) - Reissue - Verve Records

Tony Scott - Tony Scott (LPR) - Reissue - Verve Records

Stuff Smith - Cat On A Hot Fiddle (LPR) - Reissue - Verve Records

I wonder whether the Stuff Smith release somehow is linked to the Mosaic problem. Verve cancelled a planned Stuff Smith LPR last year, but that was of another title ("Sweet Swingin' Stuff").

I'll get me these three, for sure:

Clark Terry & Chico O'Farrill - Spanish Rice (LPR) - Reissue - Impulse! Records

Gloria Coleman - Soul Sisters (LPR) - Reissue - Impulse! Records

Yusef Lateef - The Golden Flute (LPR) - Reissue - Impulse! Records

Been waiting for the Lateefs for years!

How's the Mel Brown?

And the Johnny Frigo?

Very glad to see Soul Sisters appearing. Lots of Grant Green on this. My vinyl is seriously worn. I'm also psyched about the Johnny Frigo and Tony Scott (though I don't know what Scott & Frigo albums these are) and curious about Kellaway's cello album which I've heard about. Mel Brown is a guitarist, I believe--any word on Chicken Fat (Must be Greasy)? Or The Golden Flute?

Thanks for the link, Claude.

I guess I'm hoping that the Tony Scott reissue will be his 1958 Coral album, 52nd Street Scene. Wouldn't his Victor work make an excellent Mosaic project?

That '52nd Street Scene' Coral album is a marvel. Tony Scott picked great musicians for the various sessions: Joe Thomas, Higginbotham, Pee Wee Russell, Pettiford, Denzil Best for the early scene tracks, Red Rodney, Jimmy Knepper, Al Cohn, George Wallington, Pettiford, Roy Haynes for the bebop scene. Plus others.

And I'll second the Mosaic Tony Scott RCA box. There were also a lot of superb music there.

Wish I could get excited about his Verve albums but I can't! I'm not zen enough!

Another vote for a Tony Scott RCA Mosaic! There was so much interesting music made between 1945 and 1955!

The Roger Kellaway Cello Quartet was on A&M - have the LP. Its is pretty "classicistical", no drums, and Emil Richards' percussion has a very subdued part to play. The cellist plays arco most of the time in a pretty classical attitude with a wide vibrato. I keep the disc, but it's an acquired taste. I suggest you have a listen if you can.