The Verve Mini-LP CDs

Shrdlu

I bought the Schifrin (but would not recommend it as first choice, not sure in retrospective why I bought it....), the Tjader is a great piece of music if you want to hear how he can turn simple tunes into nice and tasteful arrangements, not his best but good enough to buy it

Cheers, Tjobbe

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Rosemarie Clooney

- Peterson

Hi Flurin,

I have the Clooney (;) ) and am not all too happy with it. I really love a lot of her stuff, but somehow this one hasn't caught on yet. It's just too smooth around the edges.

I'm by no way a Peterson completist (although I have around 40 - 60 discs), but the Soul Espanol I have listened to many times in shops etc. and always go for sth else. You could say I don't really like it (a rare thing with me when it comes to Peterson) ... do drop it.

Cheers!

I'm by no way a Peterson completist (although I have around 40 - 60 discs), but the Soul Espanol I have listened to many times in shops etc. and always go for sth else. You could say I don't really like it (a rare thing with me when it comes to Peterson) ... do drop it.

Cheers!

yes, agree with deus..

if you really looking for some other Verve O.P. , watch out for the "...with respect to Nat" (from the Verve by request series) which I bought recently (Oscar sings :g )

Cheers, Tjobbe

Cheers!

yes, agree with deus..

if you really looking for some other Verve O.P. , watch out for the "...with respect to Nat" (from the Verve by request series) which I bought recently (Oscar sings :g )

Cheers, Tjobbe

Have it. ;)

He was quite a good singer but as the story goes, they decided that Oscar would go down the piano route while Nat would concentrate on the singing. No need for unnecessary competition.

Cheers!

Edit: Not saying that Nat didn't continue playing the piano (fabulously so) ...

Edited by deus62

FWIW, With Respect to Nat is my favorite OP.

I don't know.

In the beginning I just loved it but I think it's somehow a bit uneven (small group/big band; somehow the arrangement [= sequence] of the tunes bugs me.). My fave tune is still "Straighten Up and Fly Right" - he does that one really well. Another old fave of mine is "Walking My Baby Back Home".

Memories.

Cheers!

(Am I allowed to say that James Taylor did a grand version of "Walking My Baby Back Home"? Or will the Organissimo family ostracise me?).

Edited by deus62

So this is how my list looks now:

get:

- Slim

- Schifrin (I want it)

- Tjader

skip:

- Whiting

- Tharpe

not sure, but probably get:

- Rosemarie Clooney

not sure, but probably skip:

- Mendes

- Peterson

Thanks Lon & Tjobbe!

ubu

So it's now:

get:

- Slim Gaillard

- Lalo Schifrin

- Cal Tjader

skip:

- Tharpe

- Clooney

- Whiting

- O.P.

So how about Mendes?

Again thanks to everybody!

the Mendes is short but great. I believe it clocks in at less than 20 minutes

the Clooney has a stoopid rinky dinky organ, long since I played it

the Whiting is indeed pretty syrupy

the O.P. is nice but not essential

the Tjader may seem a bit shallow if you're not listening

the Slim is big fun and you should get it for Lady Be Good alone

still need to get the Shifrin myself

In the beginning I just loved it but I think it's somehow a bit uneven (small group/big band; somehow the arrangement [= sequence] of the tunes bugs me.).

I hear ya there; when I listen to it, I usually program it so that all the big band tracks play together, and all the trio tracks play together. Flows better that way, IMO; wonder why they didn't release it like that originally? :huh:

Those supermegadittos sure make me wonder about the Slim!

Mendes I never heard before, think my mother has some LP, will look for that first and give it a spin when I'm there next time.

So I'll probably skip the Clooney, Whiting, Tharpe (anyone has that, by the way?) and consider the OP and Mendes.

Again thanks everybody!

ubu

your royal something King Ubu ^_^

if you are eagerly looking to buy some Verve Lpr's I would wait some while to check for the upcoming ones planned in Germany for MArch 05:

JPC lists currenly

Roach, Max:Jazz In 3 / 4 Time (Lpr)

Rich, Buddy:Blues Caravan (Lpr)

Gillespie, Dizzy:Sittin' In (Lpr)

Edison, Harry "sweets":Sweets (Lpr)

Cugat, Xavier:Cugi's Cocktails (Lpr)

and also on Verve for the same date (but not noted if an lpr)

Krupa, Gene: Plays Gerry Mulligan

Cohn, Al: Al Cohn Quintet Feat. Bob Brookmeyer (from 1956)

So I guess there at least some worth picking up...

Cheers, Tjobbe

Tjobbe, you little somethin', daring to provoke royal highnesses... :angry:

I'm actually not eagerly wanting to buy any, but rather making sure not to miss out on any older ones that are worthwhile. I have the Rivers on order, otherwise I have the early batches, except for the discs I mentioned above.

Thanks however! There are tons of nice discs in this series! Just a pity they don't release full sessions.

ubu

Can someone explain to me what is supposed to be so good about Slim Gaillard?

I don't get it.

I have quite a bit of his stuff on some Japanese etc. box sets and I usually skip it.

The guy just goes on my nerves.

Is this heresy?

:o:mellow::unsure::blink:

Absolutely not. His charm eludes me as well.