Lee Morgan- Candy question

sjarrell

I'm not sure why it never drove me insane before, but the squeak that starts 55 seconds into "Candy" and lasts until about 4:45 is causing me pain now. It's on the Mosaic and the RVG.

What is it? Stretchy tape? Un-oiled hi-hat pedal curiously way up in the mix? Is it on the TOCJs as well?

I want to hear it sans squeak!

I'm not sure why it never drove me insane before, but the squeak that starts 55 seconds into "Candy" and lasts until about 4:45 is causing me pain now. It's on the Mosaic and the RVG.

What is it? Stretchy tape? Un-oiled hi-hat pedal curiously way up in the mix? Is it on the TOCJs as well?

I want to hear it sans squeak!

I don't have it here to check, but as I recall Art Taylor's high hat pedal could have done with a bit of 3-in-1 that day.

This is on every version I've ever spun and yes, it drives me nuts too.

BTW, not to ruin a great date for your future listening pleasure (STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW), but Taylor does it again on the title track to Drew's "Undercurrent".

I didn't know Taylor's "squeaky wheel" infected some Prestige dates too. Don't tell me, I don't want to know!! :D

What is it? Stretchy tape? Un-oiled hi-hat pedal curiously way up in the mix? Is it on the TOCJs as well? I want to hear it sans squeak!

Yes, it is. I actually like the squeak...would miss not hearing it on my favorite Morgan date.

It was a joke. ;) And I think it might be the drummer's throne squeaking. ;)

Sorry, what was a joke? That they've taken the squeak out? I'm sure someone has tried to, and I'm further sure that a lot of people who know nothing about recording think it's possible (whether it's the pedal or the throne). I've heard the same thing coming out of piano pedals, too. (It's a good reason for every engineer to carry some Three-In-One or WD40 along with the mics...)

I guess the squeak never bothered me enough to notice it on Candy. I'd think it would be easy enough to determine whether it's a pedal or throne by the regularity of the noise.

On a similar note, I know someone who hates Ben Webster because they can hear his breath through the horn. I think it's an essential part of his compelling sound...

On a similar note, I know someone who hates Ben Webster because they can hear his breath through the horn. I think it's an essential part of his compelling sound...

Definitely. I don't even mind the sound of Miles' saliva gurgling around in the horn. Although now that I read that I'm a little nauseous.

It was a joke. ;) And I think it might be the drummer's throne squeaking. ;)

Sorry, what was a joke? That they've taken the squeak out? I'm sure someone has tried to, and I'm further sure that a lot of people who know nothing about recording think it's possible (whether it's the pedal or the throne). I've heard the same thing coming out of piano pedals, too. (It's a good reason for every engineer to carry some Three-In-One or WD40 along with the mics...)

I guess the squeak never bothered me enough to notice it on Candy. I'd think it would be easy enough to determine whether it's a pedal or throne by the regularity of the noise.

It was just a JOKE. Or an unsuccessful one! He was making a funny that they had removed it with oil . . .

Ah well.

Squeak never bothered me. In any of the recordings. I had a throne that squeaked that way. . .even after oiling!

On the forthcoming Japanese issue they've managed to oil it out so get that one!!!

If they have, they've taken something else out with it. It's impossible (unless there was a mic/track devoted to the foot pedal ONLY which can be dumped) to filter it out with some other sound being effected.

Well, joke or not, it probably would be possible if you had the time, patience and budget and were sufficiently bothered by these things ... oh, the things they can do these days!:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

Oh well I'll refrain from joking since it's not understood anyway (except for Lon but he's one of a kind I suppose).......

Sorry, but I had no idea that you were joking -- my fault. The problem is, there are people out there who believe (or want to believe) that that squeak can/SHOULD be "oiled", rather than accepted as the artists did at the time.

Personally, I think that modern (and amazing) recording techniques have replaced ability. The jazz thought that "there are no wrong notes" if the artist can resolve ("fix"?) it as he plays is not accepted any longer. As a result, sterile, perfect recordings dominate. I think that something like "Cottontail" as an example would never, COULD never happen today....two or three microphones picking up the self-balanced sound of 15 musicians for a perfect performance? Uh-uh. Likely, a 'producer' would demand changes...

• 1 year later...