Favorite Magazines

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Yorker (seems to be the most popular choice here)

AutoWeek (been a subscriber since the mid-80s)

Road & Track (ditto)

The Rodder's Journal

Atomic Ranch (mid-century modern residential architecture)

Video Watchdog

Shock Cinema

Cinema Retro

Film Comment (not nearly as good as in days of yore, but still subscribe out of habit)

Invention & Technology

Giant Robot

Juxtapoz

Wax Poetics (since #3 - still hunting for 1 & 2 at something approaching a reasonable price)

Make (check out makezine.com)

This one's got "bathroom-reading" written all over it ; I mean , where better to bone up on porcelain insulators than in the 'porcelain library' :crazy:

CrownJewelsoftheWire.jpg

Gee, never seen a purple one!!! We just have some clear ones, and perhaps a green one, I think.....

Heh,heh, you said bone up! :rolleyes: Well, it does look like a bit phallic, don't it???

Edited by BERIGAN

• 2 years later...

Two years on, I thought I'd resurrect this thread. I still subscribe to an outrageous number of magazines and enjoy them all. Since this thread was started, a few have died (Portfolio, Seed) a couple have gone to h*ll (Atlantic) and there are some new ones out.

So, what're you reading?

smithsonian

linn's

newsweek

delete newsweek (really hate the new format)

add "The Week" - really enjoy this one!

Agree on The Week and Newsweak. Another that's really gone to h*ll is US News and World Report. That subscription won't be renewed. On the other hand, Business Week seems at least as good under Bloomberg. It ain't the Economist, but what is?

Subscribe to:

The New York Review of Books (my favorite non-music periodical)

The New Yorker

Downbeat

JazzTimes

Traces (Indiana history magazine)

Men's Health

Poets and Writers

Buy regularly off the newstand:

WaxPoetics

Buy occasionally off the newstand:

The Believer

Mojo

Oxford American (esp. the music issue)

I had a subscription to Cadence for a few years but let it lapse (can't even remember why--no specific reason that I can recall) and haven't ever gotten around to renewing it. Same with The Nation (although in that case, it was just from a feeling of having too much already to read).

Edited by ghost of miles

Subscribe to:

The New York Review of Books (my favorite non-music periodical)

The New Yorker

Downbeat

JazzTimes

Traces (Indiana history magazine)

Men's Health

Poets and Writers

Buy regularly off the newstand:

WaxPoetics

Buy occasionally off the newstand:

The Believer

Mojo

Oxford American (esp. the music issue)

I had a subscription to Cadence for a few years but let it lapse (can't even remember why--no specific reason that I can recall) and haven't ever gotten around to renewing it. Same with The Nation (although in that case, it was just from a feeling of having too much already to read).

Cadence is one of the rare few I let lapse too. Seems like there was a price hike, but my enthusiasm level didn't rise proportionately.

And, again, unusually for me, I didn't miss it.

smithsonian

linn's

newsweek

delete newsweek (really hate the new format)

add "The Week" - really enjoy this one!

Agree on The Week and Newsweak. Another that's really gone to h*ll is US News and World Report. That subscription won't be renewed. On the other hand, Business Week seems at least as good under Bloomberg. It ain't the Economist, but what is?

The Economist is the only magazine I read on a regular basis (in print as opposed to online).

All this said, magazines are by far the heaviest part of my luggage.

BeBop, have you considered getting an eBook reader? There are a number of magazines available for it, including America's best selling short story magazine, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine.

I subscribe to Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, and one good thing about it is that there is no reason to throw an issue away until you have read it all.

My nephew gave me a subscription to Culture Wars Magazine, which is certainly different. The premise is that Western culture was better when Christians ruled the day during the Middle Ages and the Rennaissance, and most issues are devoted to how the most influential non-Christians of the last two hundred years have been bad influences.

• 3 months later...