Favorite Magazines

I think the jazz mag thing has been done enough. I'm mostly interested in print (not online-only) magazines, since those are the ones I can carry as I travel about. I already subscribe to a truly frightening number, but I still get through them all, cover-to-cover. (Thanks, United Airlines) I'm looking to trade out some of the losers for something better. And that's where you can help. My interests are incredibly wide, but I do need some intellectual stimulation.

Current favorites (not very imaginative):

- Harpers

- Atlantic

- New Yorker

- Reason

- Portfolio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiousity, how do you subscribe to things when you live on the road for what....330 days out of the year?

Aren't you having to submit change-of-address cards every week or so?

Actually, it's 365 - I've no home at all.

I have four, strategically placed post office boxes, coincidentally in the United States airline hub cities. :winky: Between overseas destinations, I always have to set foot in the United States, before I can begin another assignment.

All this said, magazines are by far the heaviest part of my luggage.

The Economist first and foremost. I think it may be the most "important" periodical out there.

Also The NYer and The Wire.

Of less general interest but equal personal interest are Science and Nature.

I'm looking for some good new art magazines. There used to be a few that I liked (e.g. FlashArt), but they all seem to have a tendency to get overly commercial and overrun with uninteresting advertising as time goes on.

Radio Times (a TV/Radio magazine, full of fluff but the best way to know what's on the Radio in some detail).

Gramophone

BBC Music Magazine

Froots (folk/world music)

Mojo (started as a rock magazine for old crusties but, as these things go, tends to obsess on much more recent things now. Keeps me alert to interesting reissues from the olden days).

Every now and then a copy of The New Statesman.

That Mosaic magazine that always has 80% of the same pages - seems like something from a lost era!

Good to see some more Economist fans here! I had a subscription for quite a few years, then just went to mooching library and in-laws' copies. Harper's and The New Yorker still up there. The occasional Atlantic, though it's hit-or-miss. And during the primary season I found myself perusing The New Republic again after giving it a nice long dozen-year rest.

Was looking at Newsweek and Time at the dentist's office the other day and was amazed at how low they've sunk. They seem to be produced for people who don't read.

Another longtime Economist subber.

National Geographic (grew up with it)

Sports Illustrated out of habit (33 years...eek)

Gourmet (a long-term cheap deal that I'll likely let run out. Maybe try Fine Cooking instead.)

Cooks Illustrated

Entertainment Weekly (a freebie, and surprisingly decent.)

Also the Mosaic catalog. :) (Not much changes per issue, but it looks like a magazine.)