Cadence Magazine

Any other Cadence readers here. I can't make up my mind to renew or not. I quite like the new format and there's a lot of nice stuff in it but a fair bit of dross as well. The quarterly issue comes at a much higher price (at least in Europe) but it take three months to read through it all. It'a a good place to find out about unusual issues which is the main reason I subscribe but I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth the outlay.

I have been a loyal Cadence subscriber since the mid '80's. I like the new format (its like a paperback book now Dan). One gripe I have is that they insert pictures of musicians who are mentioned in the text but never on the same page. It could be my imagination but I see fewer dismissive reviews which makes me wonder. Also, I miss the center section sale, even if it was tough on the eyes. Cadence is the only magazine I continue to have a subscription to.

I was a loyal longtime subscriber as well but I let my subscription lapse after the first issue of this year. I have been vacilating ever since about renewing again. The price increase didn't bother me so much but I kind of liked getting the darn little thing every month. Also there are fewer interviews and I felt fewer new reviews if you look at it on a yearly basis.

Actually the main problem with the photos is that quite frequently they're inserted with no reference to anything in the text at all! I guess it's just because Bob R. wants to use the space & put in a cool photo.

I like the change of font & layout--much prettier than in the past. That said, I won't be getting any more issues as I'm no longer contributing (I decided after doing it for 6 years that reviewing piles of often VERY variable-quality CDs was not a great way to spend my listening & writing time) & don't thinking I'll be resubscribing (there just seem to be lots of other places to go for record reviews these days).

I still subscribe to Cadence, though I quit writing for them years ago. The paltry pay makes it hard to justify the time and effort spent compared to my other options. I still believe that it covers more imports and obscure releases than any other magazine, though not always in a timely manner. They could easily purge all of the smooth jazz reviews from the hodge podge and shorties section to make room for more significant things.