Ellington Suites

montg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such Sweet Thunder is a great album, indeed. I'm listening to it again right now. It's even better than I remembered.

This thread has inspired me to pull out ALL my Ellington Suites. Such sweet listening in store.

Thanks, guys.

I've been a big fan of The Queen's Suite since buying the LP back in the early '80s. "The Single Petal of a Rose" is amazing. So beautiful.

Agreed - when my wife and I were married, we used "The Single Petal of a Rose" for the wedding processional music.

I made sure Ellington had a prominent role at the reception, too: our first dance as bride and groom was to "Day Dream", and the entire Far East Suite was played during the evening as well.

Dave

Edited by Dave Garrett

Fans of the ECLIPSE should be aware of a Laserlight thing (can't remember the title offhand) that's got an alternate take of "Chinoiserie"(sp?) in which Harold Ashby's solo is considerably more adventurous harmonically than that on the Fantasy version. Well worth the minimal Laserlight price.

Jim,

Is this CD the one you are talking about?

B00008YO93.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

P.S. Has anyone heard Wynton Marsalis's version of this tune? I heard the 1 minute clip on amazon and it's not especially promising...

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

the Far East Suite has many good movements.

and the b&W suite on film which has the choir singing around the bed of the dying woman. i believe it's the first one on this video:

Duke Ellington and his orchestra, 1929-1941 : stars of the Cotton Club.

1. Black and tan (1929) -- 2. Symphony in black (1934) -- 3. Hot chocolate (1941).

Edited by l p

Fans of the ECLIPSE should be aware of a Laserlight thing (can't remember the title offhand) that's got an alternate take of "Chinoiserie"(sp?) in which Harold Ashby's solo is considerably more adventurous harmonically than that on the Fantasy version. Well worth the minimal Laserlight price.

Jim,

Is this CD the one you are talking about?

B00008YO93.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ooooh....no. Neither one....

What is is is a thing called Cool Rock

e202680vo26.jpg

Cheesy cover that creates the wrong impression of the period covered, and hardly an "essential" Ellington item, but that alternate take of "Chinoiserie" is worth the cost of admission alone, again, especially at Laserlight prices.

Edited by JSngry

Yesterday evening I've listened to the "Liberian Suite". I got the live recording from the Carnegie Hall concert in 1947. Do you know if there is any studio recording of this suite??? Beautiful suite, btw.

3pdukep3.jpg

There´s a studio version of the entire Liberian Suite for Columbia (dec 24, 1947), three days before the Carnegie Hall concert, recorded at the Liederkrantz Hall.

Originally issued as Columbia CL-6073, it can be found on CD in the Chronogical Duke Ellington 1947-48 (Classics 1119) and it has been included as bonus tracks in the 2004 reissue of "Ellington Uptown" (87066)

There´s also a studio recording of "I like the sunrise" for Verve, with Ella Fitzgerald (oct. 1965) and another one with Frank Sinatra for Reprise (dec. 1967).

EKE BBB Posted on May 6 2005, 03:05 AM

"BTW: in the latest CD issue, the silence between Dance#1 and Dance#2 has been eliminated. But, in this process, the first bar of Dance#2, has also been cut off !!!"

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up, EKE BBB.

What's the best way I can access the original, intended version?

BTW, y'all, since this thread began I've been immersing myself in the Ellington suites I possess, and as a result, have been experiencing an efflorescence of beauty and majesty in my general vicinity.

I must add that this board has positively influenced my quality of life over the time I've been lurking (say about a year), despite the financial drain of the (mostly excellent) exhortations to BUY, BUY, BUY. However, as in this Ellingtonian example, you've also returned me repeatedly to my own extant collection to my great profit.

That's why I finally began posting, to join the amazing conversation you are all engaged in; I should say: WE are all engaged in.

Thanks.

EKE BBB Posted on May 6 2005, 03:05 AM

"BTW: in the latest CD issue, the silence between Dance#1 and Dance#2 has been eliminated. But, in this process, the first bar of Dance#2, has also been cut off !!!"

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up, EKE BBB.

What's the best way I can access the original, intended version?

Interesting about the editing issue on the current cd. I don't have the Columbia 10" issue, but will check my 12" Columbia (CL 848) against my French cd (COL 469409 2) to see if they match. :o