Ellington Suites

montg

Gee, thanks guys!

(I think.)

Why did it take me so long to finally post here?

A friend has been posting for quite some time. For a while, I would glance at the board on occasion to see what he was up to.

I began checking in with greater frequency as I slowly realized how much was going on here, particularly updates on Mosaic and other reissues, as well as news of worthy new artists and recordings. As a result of the trove of postings here, I became acquainted with amazing recordings I would most likely have never discovered otherwise. I also found myself returning with renewed interest to recordings I already own. As you might have guessed, my avatar is a tribute to a fascinating record I learned about on the board and fell in love with.

That being said, though I occasionally itched to add my two cents, I delayed posting for a few reasons. For one, the erudition, level of insight, and occasional attitude on this board are a bit daunting. Plus, what can I say, I'm a procrastinator.

But the combination of Clem's ragging on Francis Davis and this Ellington Suite thread made me finally take the plunge.

I'm glad I did.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EKE BBB Posted on May 6 2005, 03:05 AM

"BTW: in the latest CD issue, the silence between Dance#1 and Dance#2 has been eliminated. But, in this process, the first bar of Dance#2, has also been cut off !!!"

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up, EKE BBB.

What's the best way I can access the original, intended version?

Interesting about the editing issue on the current cd. I don't have the Columbia 10" issue, but will check my 12" Columbia (CL 848) against my French cd (COL 469409 2) to see if they match. :o

Chuck:

According to the guys in the DEMS Bulletin:

-the 10" LP Philips B07611R is perfectly edited

-the CBS 12" LPs (66607L and 62686) and the CBS CD 462989 (Volume 5 of "The Complete Duke Ellington") have the same pause, but without removing the first bar of Dance#2

• 3 years later...

My favourite must be the New Orleans Suite, because that was the music that taught me to love Ellington.

The work of EVERY saxophonist (Hodges AND the section) on "Blues For New Orleans" guarantees them all a place of immortality in my heart. :tup:tup:tup:wub::wub::wub:

Amen, 'blues for n.o.' is OUTSTANDING. And to think, Johnny Hodges was gone two weeks later, listening to these blues is bittersweet for sure.

The New Orleans Suite seems kind of underrated, I just bought it recently and there's some wonderful music here, Portrait of Wellman Braud is a beauty as is Borbon Streen Jingling Jollies. Ellington's font was inexhaustible!

8122736702.JPG

• 13 years later...

I have been revisiting Afro-Eurasian Eclipse.  I really like the first 6 tracks, but the last two do not seem to go with the others.  They are nice enough on their own terms, but I will prefer to delete these from my playlist and find another home for them.  IMO, the suite is stronger without them, and it still clocks in at 30 minutes.