Killer Kowalski, RIP

Now here's a name I haven't thought about in nearly fifty years!

This is from the AP:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...portsOther/home

Wrestling pioneer Kowalski dies at 81

Associated Press

August 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM EDT

EVERETT, Mass. — Pro wrestling pioneer Walter "Killer" Kowalski has died from a heart attack. He was 81.

Kowalski died Saturday after his family decided to have him taken off life support. Kowalski had been in critical condition at a hospital in Everett, Massachusetts, since the heart attack on Aug. 8.

The death was announced on Kowalski's Web site.

The 6-foot-7, 285 pound Kowalski earned his nickname in 1954 after dropping opponent Yukon Eric during a match in Montreal. He became famous for various moves, including a stomach vice grip called the "Killer Clutch."

He was born in my home town of Windsor, Ontario.

My great-grandparents - from Slovakia - had lots of Polish neighbors. They'd go see him fight quite often in Detroit and kept up with his progress after he left town.

I think that's when there was actually a time when there was no phony wrestling.

I think that's when there was actually a time when there was no phony wrestling.

Robert, I feel like I'm telling a kid that there is no Santa Claus! :lol:

I don't think there was ever a time when pro wrestling was on the level. I read a book about it (either the Complete Idiot's Guide or the For Dummies) which was "written" by Captain Lou Albano, and it said that pro wrestling developed out of phony six-hour long wrestling matches staged at carnival shows.

Anyway, it was clearly ridiculous in the late 40s (before Killer Kowalski's time) when Gorgeous George was popular on TV.

I know that he had for a long time a wrestling schiool, he'll be forever famous for being the guy who ripped off the ear of his opponent (Yukon Eric) during a match.

On a more personal basis, i remember a story about an uncle who was hitchicking, it was either in the late fifties or the early sixties, at the time there was still some belief that wrestling was real, anyway a car stopped to pick him off and suprise suprise it was Kowalski with his arch-nemesis Yukon Eric who was riding shotgun, they were driving to do another show.

Robert, I feel like I'm telling a kid that there is no Santa Claus! :lol:

I don't think there was ever a time when pro wrestling was on the level. I read a book about it (either the Complete Idiot's Guide or the For Dummies) which was "written" by Captain Lou Albano, and it said that pro wrestling developed out of phony six-hour long wrestling matches staged at carnival shows.

Anyway, it was clearly ridiculous in the late 40s (before Killer Kowalski's time) when Gorgeous George was popular on TV.

"Greco-Roman...great art..."