Frank Lowe

sonnyhill

I was up this weekend listening to a WKCR overnight jazz program. The program featured Frank Lowe. I believe that I heard his name a couple of times in passing, but this was the first time that I really had the chance to listen to his work in depth. After hearing what I heard, I wonder why he is not mentioned more on this board and otherwise.

His recordings The Flam and Black Beings are available. However, I was most impressed by a live recording with Billy Bang in the 70s. I see that the recording with Billy Bang was released by Bang a few years ago, but is now out of print.

Are there any other essential sideman or leader recordings that I should look into?

He was discussed a couple of times, but not recently I think. Here's an earlier thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=29468

And the r.i.p. thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3885

Also I remember some discussion of Lowe in the funny rat thread (put in "frank lowe" in the search topic box at the bottom to find it, the thread's huge):

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5071

I was up this weekend listening to a WKCR overnight jazz program. The program featured Frank Lowe. I believe that I heard his name a couple of times in passing, but this was the first time that I really had the chance to listen to his work in depth. After hearing what I heard, I wonder why he is not mentioned more on this board and otherwise.

His recordings The Flam and Black Beings are available. However, I was most impressed by a live recording with Billy Bang in the 70s. I see that the recording with Billy Bang was released by Bang a few years ago, but is now out of print.

Are there any other essential sideman or leader recordings that I should look into?

Fresh, Tricks of the Trade and Bodies and Soul are all fine leader dates that I enjoy.

Yes, "Bodies and Soul" - the usual CIMP sound issues, I guess, but the music is terrific!

"Fresh" I don't "get" somehow... I'll have to give it another try some day.

This one I also like quite some (LP only I think, found a good used copy a few years ago):

Phillip Wilson Quartet-Live at Moers Festival

Moers Music 01062 D LP Moers, West Germany, 7th International New Jazz Festival 5/15/78

Phillip Wilson-d,perc; Olu Dara-tp; Frank Lowe-ts; Fred Williams-b

Broadway Rhumba (8:21)

Cha Cha (6:31)

This Is For You (4:30)

F & L (9:50)

It's A Party (11:00)

(All compositions by Phillip Wilson)

Frank Lowe discography on mindspring:

http://www.mindspring.com/~scala/lowe.htm

as for Lowe with Billy Bang, this one looks tasty:

Billy Bang Sextet featuring Frank Lowe-Sweet Space

Anima 12741 USA LP NYC, New York University, Loeb Student Center north lobby 11/15/79

Billy Bang-vln; Frank Lowe-ts; Luther Thomas-as; Butch Morris-cor; Curtis Clark-p; Wilber Morris-b; Steve McCall-d

A Pebble is a Small Rock (Dedicated to Mr. & Mrs. Irving Stone) (Billy Bang) 16:47

Sweet Space (Billy Bang) 5:10

Loweski for Frank (T.F.R.) (Billy Bang) 12:55

Music for the Love of It (Butch Morris) 5:50

(Arrangements by Butch Morris and Billy Bang except Sweet Space, arranged by Billy Bang)

Anyone knows it?

And another one I like quite a bit, found the CD a couple of years ago:

Frank Lowe-Tricks of the Trade

Marge 02 F LP Rouen, Salle Sainte-Croix des Pelletiers December 8, 1976

Frank Lowe-ts; Butch Morris-cor; Didier Levallet-b; George Brown-d

Navarro's Tomorrow (Lowe) 10:16

Anytime (Lowe) 6:05

Clear (Lowe) 5:02

A Ballad (Lowe) 5:26

Unsatisfied Blues (Lowe) 5:22

And Then (Lowe) 2:30

Frank Lowe-Tricks of the Trade

Marge 02 F CD Rouen, Salle Sainte-Croix des Pelletiers December 8, 1976

Frank Lowe-ts; Butch Morris-cor; Didier Levallet-b; George Brown-d

Groove (Lowe) 10:11

Fresh (Lowe) 9:50

Awake (Lowe) 11:23

In a Minute (Lowe) 9:40

Flash Back (Lowe) 1:13

(+ all tracks on original LP, see previous entry)

Sweet Space is phenomenal--"A Pebble is a Small Rock" is a mini-masterpiece. The contrast between Lowe and Luther Thomas on that one is astounding; the latter's solo is almost entirely apeshit altissimo register scribbles, which just punctuates, when the tenor digs in, how rhythmic and patient Lowe's playing could be. Excellent all around.

Frank Lowe has been a favorite of mine since I first heard "Fresh" in college. with a 'cello (Abdul Wadud) that kept his Monk deconstructions together. Anyone reading this should also try to check out "Duo Exchange" with Rashied Ali and Lowe's contributions to the Don Cherry album on A&M Horizon (sometimes known as "Brown Rice").

Yeah, the Exchange is a corker. Also from that time, Black Beings, which has an expanded and remastered issue now.

Can't say I've ever really dug Brown Rice in any way, shape or form. It is one of the rare Don Cherry LPs that I did not keep and never plan to own again, despite the presence of Lowe.

Sweet Space is phenomenal--"A Pebble is a Small Rock" is a mini-masterpiece. The contrast between Lowe and Luther Thomas on that one is astounding; the latter's solo is almost entirely apeshit altissimo register scribbles, which just punctuates, when the tenor digs in, how rhythmic and patient Lowe's playing could be. Excellent all around.

If you know where to find Sweet Space for a reasonable price,please let me know.

If you can track down a copy, carpe diem (as JSngry might say) on VALVE NO. 10, a Soul Note recording under Bang's name featuring Lowe alongside Sirone and Denis Charles. Wonderful rendition of "Lonnie's Lament".

I also very much like Lowe's duets with Eugene Chadbourne, DON'T PUNK OUT, though they probably won't be to everyone's tastes. If I may...

http://www.onefinalnote.com/features/2001/lowe02/

• 12 years later...