pronunciation assistance request

rshurman

Seeing Gerald Wilson at the Chicago Jazz Fest and making a couple car CDs of Groove Holmes over the same long weekend finally motivated me to ask a question I've long pondered. Groove recorded the very nice and moody "Blues For Yna Yna" (supposedly named after his cat), first with Gerald on "You Better Believe It" and also on the live "Living Soul" album (one of the hottest organ albums IMHO). I never heard him play it live (but have fond memories of lots of nights at The New Apartment especially) and he doesn't call it by name on the live LP. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how "Yna" was actually pronounced. Thanks!

Seeing Gerald Wilson at the Chicago Jazz Fest and making a couple car CDs of Groove Holmes over the same long weekend finally motivated me to ask a question I've long pondered. Groove recorded the very nice and moody "Blues For Yna Yna" (supposedly named after his cat), first with Gerald on "You Better Believe It" and also on the live "Living Soul" album (one of the hottest organ albums IMHO). I never heard him play it live (but have fond memories of lots of nights at The New Apartment especially) and he doesn't call it by name on the live LP. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how "Yna" was actually pronounced. Thanks!

Funny, we were talking about this a while back. I consulted my recording of the Wilson band on Frankly Jazz and Frank Evans gives it an intro - Blues For Yen Yah.

Funny, we were talking about this a while back. I consulted my recording of the Wilson band on Frankly Jazz and Frank Evans gives it an intro - Blues For Yen Yah.

Great; thanks!