The Story of Blue Note

Nick Kent - ah, yes. Often see him these days as a 'talking head' on TV music programmes. I think he wrote much more about punk though. It's writers of that quality that distinguished it from the NME (sputtering of jazz) and the likes of 'Sounds' (jazz-free zone).

I keep meaning to buy Kent's collection, 'The Dark Stuff' but get put off by the amount of punk/pre-punk in it. I never cared for all that Iggy Pop/Ramones thing that so enthralled so many of these writers in their hunt for the romantic soul of pop/rock.

The article I still recall vividly was a two parter he wrote on The Beach Boys (which is in 'The Dark Stuff'). I have a feeling that, like so much music writing, I'd find it more writer-construction than revelation now. But at the time it made me hear the Beach Boys with rather different ears.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon.com just cancelled my order for Ashley Kahn's Blue Note book, which was due out about now. The reason they gave me is that "it is not available from any of their sources at this time." It still seems to be available for pre-order at Amazon U.K.

Yeah, it's kind a weird. I was very excited about this book but Amazon (US) has nothing to offer. Has anyone gotten a copy yet?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Will this do in the meantime. Is this going to be a good buy?

uncompromising-expression_9781452141442_

This was the one that had a lecture by the author at the Cheltenham Fest (he also did the Verve Records tome). It's certainly on my wants list when it comes out (November? ready for Xmas Blue Note punter rush no doubt). Suspect that Ashley Kahn's project might have been put on the back burner (or cancelled) when this one was announced.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A review from a Swedish member of the Hoffman forum below.

Indeed it is [a good book]. I'm just about an hour in to it, but as a jazz fan in general and BN fan in particular, this is a must have. It's big, heavy and has that thick paper quality that at least I really enjoy. Almost 400 pages with forewords by Wayne Shorter, Robert Glasper and Don Was. Lots and lots of pictures, words about the time, about the jazz environment, clubs, sessions, people and covers. What I really like so far is that it sheds some light over the 30s and 40s jazz which has been a blind spot for me.

For me, this is a book to accompany the music I live with every day. It's a book that's needed in a time of downloads, clubs going out of business and where I have to travel all over Europe in search of second hand music to buy...
For me it's invaluable to have 400 pages that I can use to just disappear in for a while. To forget about lifes obligations and enjoy the music.

I think Shorters words about Lion & Wolff creating Blue Note Records says it all;...'By capturing authentic musical expression in a place of freedom, a place where music, art and poetry could freely florish, they demonstrated the true meaning of democracy.'

Now, I need to get back to reading and listening!

A review from a Swedish member of the Hoffman forum below.

Indeed it is [a good book]. I'm just about an hour in to it, but as a jazz fan in general and BN fan in particular, this is a must have. It's big, heavy and has that thick paper quality that at least I really enjoy. Almost 400 pages with forewords by Wayne Shorter, Robert Glasper and Don Was. Lots and lots of pictures, words about the time, about the jazz environment, clubs, sessions, people and covers. What I really like so far is that it sheds some light over the 30s and 40s jazz which has been a blind spot for me.

For me, this is a book to accompany the music I live with every day. It's a book that's needed in a time of downloads, clubs going out of business and where I have to travel all over Europe in search of second hand music to buy...

For me it's invaluable to have 400 pages that I can use to just disappear in for a while. To forget about lifes obligations and enjoy the music.

I think Shorters words about Lion & Wolff creating Blue Note Records says it all;...'By capturing authentic musical expression in a place of freedom, a place where music, art and poetry could freely florish, they demonstrated the true meaning of democracy.'

Now, I need to get back to reading and listening!

Thanks for posting that, Lon.

I think I'll treat myself for Christmas...........

I agree with Lon, a good book to have. Very nicely produced and not too bad value from Amazon UK. The BN story isn't that lengthy but nicely written and informative. Fine illustrations, including contact sheets from photo shoots, and short reviews/descriptions of many albums. I can't imagine BN fans not wanting this.

Just curious:

What do you mean, "The BN story isn't that lengthy ..."? What makes up the bulk of the pages of that book, then?

Thanks beforehand. ;)

Apart from that, anybody got any impression on the following:

What is the balance of the contents like between the heyday of BN from its beginnings up to the end of the Lion/Wolff period and today's BN reincarnation with Norah Jones etc.? Where is the emphasis and to what extent?

To typical hardcore jazz fans today's BN would only be an afterthought, but to those who would market the BN "brand" today, probably the reverse would be true. Hence my question.

I agree with Lon, a good book to have. Very nicely produced and not too bad value from Amazon UK. The BN story isn't that lengthy but nicely written and informative. Fine illustrations, including contact sheets from photo shoots, and short reviews/descriptions of many albums. I can't imagine BN fans not wanting this.

John, please note I was quoting another who has the book. I haven't seen it. Not sure I'll get it. . . but I might. I might ask for it as an Xmas gift. . . or not.

Review at telegraph.co.uk.

"This book tells the story with amiable, but rather unfocused enthusiasm. Its main interest is in the lavish quantity of Wolff’s images that are reproduced, including many not used on the final cover designs. Those in search of a critical assessment of Lion and Wolff’s musical achievement would do better to seek out a copy of the late Richard Cook’s Blue Note Records: The Biography (2001). "

Review at telegraph.co.uk.

"This book tells the story with amiable, but rather unfocused enthusiasm. Its main interest is in the lavish quantity of Wolff’s images that are reproduced, including many not used on the final cover designs. Those in search of a critical assessment of Lion and Wolff’s musical achievement would do better to seek out a copy of the late Richard Cook’s Blue Note Records: The Biography (2001). "

Not a bad summation. It's not a critical guide, more of an overview of the development of the label. Incidentally I'm not a fan of Cook's book. For me there is more of interest This new book