Favorite Andrew Hill 'BN' sidemen (with Hill)

Rooster_Ties

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, how about Grant Green??? :unsure:

But I'll throw a curve ball in here and also say Grant Green.  The only guitarist to ever record with Hill was Jimmy Ponder (on the earlier, unreleased-at-the-time "Grass Roots" session).  Ponder adds a fascinating 'tartness' (the word I nearly always use to describe his contribution to that date).  I'm not sure I would have necessarily wanted to hear the Grant Green of 1968 with Hill (on that date).  But it would have been very interesting to hear the Grant Green of 1963-65 - with Hill sometime after 1967.  (Does that make any sense??  :wacko:  :g )

And remind me -- what was the most progressive date that Grant Green ever played on???

I don't know the answer to this, off hand, and I'm about to answer it myself. (And I'm hoping the answer would inform our opinions about what Hill and Green might have sounded like together, particularly the Green of 63-65, and the Hill of 67-70.)

Edit: Maybe Larry Young's Into Somethin' might be Green's most progressive date??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Don't know about Green, but I have heard a few unofficial live recordings of Hill with some interesting personnel:

1. Bennie Maupin, Reggie Worman and Pheeroan akLaff

2. Trio w/ James Lewis (bass), and Sunny Murray (d)

3. Duet with Andrew Cyrille

4. Von Freeman guesting with the Point of Departure septet at the 2000 Chicago Jazz Festival

Also, I was in the audience a few years ago when Hill performed at City College in NYC with a group that included Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Scott Colley and Billy Higgins. Memorable performance, but to me at times McLean seemed to be struggling with Hill's music. I have heard McLean live on several occassions and on this night he appeared to be "trying harder" than he has when I have seen him with his own group just blowing - as if it required greater effort.

Edited by relyles

And remind me -- what was the most progressive date that Grant Green ever played on???

I don't know the answer to this, off hand, and I'm about to answer it myself. (And I'm hoping the answer would inform our opinions about what Hill and Green might have sounded like together, particularly the Green of 63-65, and the Hill of 67-70.)

Edit: Maybe Larry Young's Into Somethin' might be Green's most progressive date??

You could probably make the case for Solid, with Elvin, McCoy, Joe Henderson, James Spaulding and Bob Cranshaw. Though to be honest, despite more-than-competent playing he's out of his depth in this group.

Guy